• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire 3D Store Officially Closing at the end of Jan 4th (Midnight US Mountain time)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I remember when I bought my first 100 MB drive. Never thought I would need to buy any more memory. Little did I know that file sizes would also get bigger. :D

Hehe I thought the same when I bought my first 10GB drive. Not only it cost a little fortune, but it was unimaginable amount of storage back in the day, when files were much smaller than they are nowadays. File sizes seem to grow as computers get more powerful and we make bigger things. Who could imagine a single video game could get as big as 150GB these days? Imagine if we had to download and backup every game we bought from Steam? Crazy stuff.

My bad I tend to forget for some people that availability and pricing is very different to my experience in the UK, with prices like that there is no way I could rum my backup routine as it is.

It's not that store prices are high, but import tax alone starts at 60%, and there are like 53 other hidden taxes before products even hit the stores. That's one way of keeping people from importing anything.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I've never agreed about how all that was handled in regards to pricing and shipping and tariffs for other countries!

Hornet3d

Wise
Hehe I thought the same when I bought my first 10GB drive. Not only it cost a little fortune, but it was unimaginable amount of storage back in the day, when files were much smaller than they are nowadays. File sizes seem to grow as computers get more powerful and we make bigger things. Who could imagine a single video game could get as big as 150GB these days? Imagine if we had to download and backup every game we bought from Steam? Crazy stuff.

It's not that store prices are high, but import tax alone starts at 60%, and there are like 53 other hidden taxes before products even hit the stores. That's one way of keeping people from importing anything.

WOW, that hurts.

:yeahthat:

My understanding from conversations with Renderosity was that they were going to "try" to transfer sale records. That doesn't mean they be 100% successful, or even be able to do it at all.

Translating data from one system to another is tricky business.

That is why I said, I'd expand my transfer program to include HW purchases to anything that might fall through the cracks during my store move. So yes, screen capture your HW account "My Downloadable Products" just in case.
Instead of screen captures, I've been saving my downloads list and individual order receipts as .pdf files. Will this be acceptable?

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Instead of screen captures, I've been saving my downloads list and individual order receipts as .pdf files. Will this be acceptable?

Please understand that this is NOT up to us, but to whoever might be at whatever store you are trying to get to accept the proof of purchase.

That said, I would definitely think that works. Another store would want proof of purchase...and I would think (hope) they'd be reasonable enough to accept any of a number of things, including pdfs :).

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Jenn Blake said they had previous experience absorbing contents from Content Paradise, and that it would help doing the same from HW. I am not sure if that has included importing sales records, but I have personally merged completely different databases in the past when working as a programmer. Most of the work involves finding the matching fields. Alike businesses tend to use similar data, so chances are it might be possible to import the HW sales records. We will have to wait and see.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember back when you could fit an entire OS on a computer disk? In fact, my first version of Poser, Poser 2 fit on a single disk. I don't even think computers have a disk drive slot anymore. :D

1609358302064.png

Attachments

• 1609358202329.png
    1609358202329.png
    477.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
May I request that if people want to continue talking about hard drives they start a new thread? I'd sort them out and move them but many are intertwined with the Store closing issues.

Thanks!

DanaTA

Distinguished
Jenn Blake said they had previous experience absorbing contents from Content Paradise, and that it would help doing the same from HW. I am not sure if that has included importing sales records, but I have personally merged completely different databases in the past when working as a programmer. Most of the work involves finding the matching fields. Alike businesses tend to use similar data, so chances are it might be possible to import the HW sales records. We will have to wait and see.
I, too, did data imports and exports. When the business was changed at Key3Median and Events (creators of the world famous COMDEX trade shows), I had to write programs to export our business data from a Visual FoxPro database to Oracle. VFP was very fast. It took about a half hour for my exports to run. It took the "experts" three days to import to Oracle. And there was always an issue, wrong fields asked for, etc. So I had to change the program, run it again, and wait three days. It made me wonder why they wanted to do that. If it's so inefficient, why would you want to run your business on it? But to the point, there is hardly any database that can't be transformed and imported to another database engine.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
I almost answered the last post then saw Alisa's request so a new thread is started - Drives of old should anyone want to continue.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I almost answered the last post then saw Alisa's request so a new thread is started - Drives of old should anyone want to continue.

Nah, that's Ok. I just wanted to warn people about unreliable large backup drives, no matter from what manufacturer, and it's done. :)

If it's so inefficient, why would you want to run your business on it? But to the point, there is hardly any database that can't be transformed and imported to another database engine.

Companies cling to odd things because they are unable to change and adapt. Same old story everywhere. It's a kind of inertia perpetuated by "if it's not broken, don't fix it".

And I think you are right. Since XML came out, any data can be converted to any other data. We can even run databases based on XML, like Python does. If there is a will, there is a way.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Nah, that's Ok. I just wanted to warn people about unreliable large backup drives, no matter from what manufacturer, and it's done. :)
I was just a bit confused when you mentioned Black Bands, and Blue Bands for WE drives. I don't know what that refers to.

eclark1894

Visionary
As long as we're talking about Hivewire vendors going to other places, I'd like to remind everyone to please send me an email telling me where you're going, so I can make an update on your entry in the Poser Content Directory. It will help your customers find you easier.

Kerya

Brilliant

Yeah - so that's a no, because the Content Paradise content I bought at CP doesn't show up at Rero as bought ...

Aelin

Eager
Yeah - so that's a no, because the Content Paradise content I bought at CP doesn't show up at Rero as bought ...
Did you use the same email on the two sites? I think when RDNA merged with Daz, it was thanks to the emails they were able to merge the things.

Kerya

Brilliant
Did you use the same email on the two sites? I think when RDNA merged with Daz, it was thanks to the emails they were able to merge the things.

Yes, it's the same email at all stores. And it is content by SmithMicro, for example. Not a small vendor or something ... which means I am not buying any SM content at Rero, as I am too lazy to search on my harddrive whether I bought it before. Yes, I did spend some money on their animals and figures ...

At the moment I have wishlisted Hivewire content that I didn't buy here (not enough money to buy everything I would like), so I know which ones I am missing and can buy without worrying. In the future ... who knows.