• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Pinging my second Superhero thread for awesomeness.

I use Poser but don't hate DAZ. I'm still getting used to Dawn but it's the usage and support that makes a figure, no?

Nothing wrong with large breasts. A super-heroine has a strong back, yes?

The creator of Wonder Woman was into S/M? I'm not quite convinced of that. I think it was more of a sign of the times. Women barely had the right the vote for only 22 years. Still, I'm conducting exhaustive research on the matter.

Is...is she winking?

I like Poser a lot, but for content creation DS is easier than Poser.
The problem is not the large breasts, it's the HW logo being squeezed by the large breasts. :D
Yeah, her costume was clear that's into SM style. Not to mention her whip.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Why Poser is not easy as Daz Studio?

The answer to that is that DS is much newer than Poser, and its first 3 versions were basically copying Poser functionality. By doing so, they have learned enough to know the pitfalls and improve on top of it. I especially like how DS keeps morphs separate in individual files, and use metadata to manage runtime folder creation on its own. Poser is now in brand new version 11, and it still has no clue where to place its own geometry and textures. We still have to create runtime folder structures by hand, and manually hack Poser files to have that fixed, which is ridiculous in this day and age.

But having used DS to create products since 2013, I have learned that both programs have a more or less equal amount of pros and cons. I terribly miss the Morphing Tool, camera dots, the Cloth Room, and the Material Room in DS. On the other hand, conforming works so much better in DS, I miss in Poser the ability to lock weight map editing by body group, real-time fitting modifiers like Push, and to use metatada to automatically place tbings at the proper places. None is absolutely better than the other in everything. I just wish these 2 companies haven't split like they did. :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
My old computer used to be able to handle DAZ but now the program seems more like Reality in that it never stops rendering and after an hour I kill the render. I just don't have the muscles to use it. However, I was able to port my favorite Aiko 3 characters into Genesis and get superb expressions while enjoying my favorite characters. I was one of the last to really get into Victoria 4 (V4) but for comic purposes "realistic renders" was less important to me than giving each character a slightly cartoony feel. Not much! A hot body, male for female, is one of the staples of modern comics and manga. What really struck me was that DAZ seemed to have better figures, props and better support. Before Genesis 3, I rarely missed a day visiting the site whether I was buying or not. However the longevity of the Genesis variations have made me wary. Why should I waste the hundreds spent on clothing and props? I was one of those people who bought because I needed a figure or prop or simply because I thought something was so cool I was sure I would have a use for it later. Though I must say that just a few years ago I could ask for help on changing a DUF file into a poser usable file and render away.

For me, it's really a matter of familiarity and intuitiveness. I feel that Poser is rather intuitive for a bottom user (no laughing) like myself. From what I've seen no way anyone could bad mouth DAZ Studio for the quality of it's renders. That said, I'm glad that places like Hivewire and now to a lesser extent Rendo and RDNA still have forgotten Poser only users like me! I'm certainly not at Leo's or Ken's level to even understand what is meant by weight map editing by body group, real-time fitting modifiers like Push, and to use metadata to automatically place things at the proper places. Geez I'm not really sure what Metadata is!

Did I read right? Dusk is free? I'm off to collect him. I love getting something other than "standard" figures. It makes for a nice mix.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@quietrob It's really important to know that Reality is a slow poke by nature, and it's not necessarily because your computer is old. Each rendering engine has reasons for why they are so fast or so slow, and still produce quality renders. Lux/Reality is an evolution of the German Iirlich (I never know if I've spelled it right) engine, which was purely raytracing-based. As usual, raytracing always tends to prduce the most realistic images at the cost of some of the longest rendering times. In addition, Lux was built over a real camera and light model, which also contributes to both additional realism and even longer rendering times. Most other rendering engines avoid this model because it takes too long to compute. In addition, modeling a 3D engine around a real camera also makes it complex for non-photography professionals to understand the terms and controls used in Lux. Conversely, photography professionals/enthusiasts find themselves at home with Lux. It's a rather unique kind of renderer. On the bright side, the last Lux update has increased performance more than 20 fold, but it still drags comparing to [my beloved] Octane.

I completely understand your concerns for DAZ3D figure's longevity, for you are not alone on that. It's all about wanting to have your investments on contents protected in the long term, and unfortunately, that doesn't seem very assuring with the Genesis platform. I am especially disappointed with how DAZ3D designed Gen3F from a content creator perspective - her edge flow is visibly inferior to Gen2F, so importing the Gen2F morphs into Gen3F result into considerable fidelity losses. DAZ claims we can compensate with high definition morphs, but that still sounds like a backwards step. By definition, the newer figure should [at least in theory] be better than the previous ones. So even if you can reuse your Gen2F morphs with Gen3F, you will still be on the loosing side.

The fact that it was the original Genesis figure that brought up the idea that we could reuse morphs and textures from older figures like Vicky, Aiko and Micheal seem now overshadowed by how FAST they replace Genesis with new versions. I think the original Genesis wasn't even a year old when it was replaced by Genesis 2, now back to being split into male and female, which is how I think it should had been from the beginning. It's like DAZ3D experiments with the platform with no regards to our pockets, and what we have already invested. Over time, they want us to buy remakes of the same contents over again, which on its turn, fills the market with more of the same old everywhere. At some point DAZ3D will have to come to terms with the fact that our pockets are not as DEEP as they think. LOL

Yes, Dusk is still free - go get him! :D

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Pinging my second Superhero thread for awesomeness.

I use Poser but don't hate DAZ. I'm still getting used to Dawn but it's the usage and support that makes a figure, no?

Nothing wrong with large breasts. A super-heroine has a strong back, yes?

The creator of Wonder Woman was into S/M? I'm not quite convinced of that. I think it was more of a sign of the times. Women barely had the right the vote for only 22 years. Still, I'm conducting exhaustive research on the matter.

Is...is she winking?
It's a documented fact, Rob. He admitted as much and publicly stated that was the driving force behind creating WW. It explains her height, her strength and the lasso. It also explains a lot about her original costume. The deity origin and the created out of sand thing came much, much later on. I'll have to look it up too, but I am sure I can find the reference.

quietrob

Extraordinary
It's a documented fact, Rob. He admitted as much and publicly stated that was the driving force behind creating WW. It explains her height, her strength and the lasso. It also explains a lot about her original costume. The deity origin and the created out of sand thing came much, much later on. I'll have to look it up too, but I am sure I can find the reference.

I suppose you are right. I've learned that artists aren't bound about what others think as well as considering the medium and times in which artwork or content is displayed. I do subscribe to not looking at that which I personally find offensive but not to censor them as well. Bill Ward was an exceptional pinup artist that also gave us Torchy and much racier stuff. I wouldn't deign to judge or censor anything that he did. If we did, we wouldn't have had this!
Cave_Girl_n11_Magazine_Enterprises.jpg

That looks pretty cool to me! As with the passing of Prince, the world is a little less wonderful without him. The origin of Wonder Woman has changed at least twice and I'm not happy about her current origin which I won't mention to my personal decorum in this forum. Strange isn't it? Wonder Woman came to life in the middle of World War II which is now considered to be a kinder and gentler time (for some).

To get back on target, I'm loving the Hivewire Supersuit. One of the things that broke my heart was the Genesis only Supersuit. I loved it but couldn't justify the purchase as adapting it to Poser was just too large an undertaking. Different figures make action rendering so much better. After all, the Flash wouldn't be wearing the same designer as Omac (One Many Army Corp). Um, how is the suit going? Will it be for sale or a killer freebie? Like waiting for the Saddle of the Hivewire Horse, I keep thinking, "Must have"!

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 IT' more concern to conform clothes. In DS I tested my superhero poses with the costume and all works great. But in Poser, a lot of poke through. That's what is stuck me.
Poser is a great software, especially for animation which has simple and efficient tools that DS don't have.
As you said, both have their pros and cons.

I terribly miss the Morphing Tool, camera dots, the Cloth Room, and the Material Room in DS.

For camera dots there's Puppeteer. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 IT' more concern to conform clothes. In DS I tested my superhero poses with the costume and all works great. But in Poser, a lot of poke through. That's what is stuck me.
Poser is a great software, especially for animation which has simple and efficient tools that DS don't have.
As you said, both have their pros and cons.
For camera dots there's Puppeteer. :)

The pokethrus in Poser are most likely coming from the CR2 exported from DS. I have done that several times in my previous products, believing it would save me time on the Poser version. There are a number of issues that can happen when exporting CR2s from DS, and some of them, like the pokethrus, are related to differences on how DS handles conforming items, which are definitely different from how Poser does it. It's pretty much a hit or miss. It's great when it works, but if it doesn't, it's best to start from scratch in Poser than trying to fix a broken CR2. A good example is Sanbie's "Legend of Tarzan" outfit for Dusk, where exporting the CR2 from DS went really bad - impossible to rig. She sent it to me, and my simple solution was to start from scratch, and only then things went back to normal. So if you export a CR2 from DS to Poser and things look bad, just import the OBJs and do the job in Poser. This CR2 exporter plugin was created long ago, and it has issues. It's great when it works, but if it doesn't.... :)

Oh, I didn't know we could use Puppeteer to store cameras - I thought it was only for poses. Thanks for the info! :D

LeoLee

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I suppose you are right. I've learned that artists aren't bound about what others think as well as considering the medium and times in which artwork or content is displayed. I do subscribe to not looking at that which I personally find offensive but not to censor them as well. Bill Ward was an exceptional pinup artist that also gave us Torchy and much racier stuff. I wouldn't deign to judge or censor anything that he did. If we did, we wouldn't have had this!
View attachment 8646

That looks pretty cool to me! As with the passing of Prince, the world is a little less wonderful without him. The origin of Wonder Woman has changed at least twice and I'm not happy about her current origin which I won't mention to my personal decorum in this forum. Strange isn't it? Wonder Woman came to life in the middle of World War II which is now considered to be a kinder and gentler time (for some).

To get back on target, I'm loving the Hivewire Supersuit. One of the things that broke my heart was the Genesis only Supersuit. I loved it but couldn't justify the purchase as adapting it to Poser was just too large an undertaking. Different figures make action rendering so much better. After all, the Flash wouldn't be wearing the same designer as Omac (One Many Army Corp). Um, how is the suit going? Will it be for sale or a killer freebie? Like waiting for the Saddle of the Hivewire Horse, I keep thinking, "Must have"!

Thank you @quietrob ! Supersuit for DS is done. I'm going to make some different textures for the suit and released it together with the superhero poses. Probably the Poser and DS versions will be released separately.
It's for sale but I'll do some freebies like extra poses and textures. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
I like Poser a lot, but for content creation DS is easier than Poser.
The problem is not the large breasts, it's the HW logo being squeezed by the large breasts. :D
Yeah, her costume was clear that's into SM style. Not to mention her whip.
To the best of my knowledge, Wonder Woman has never had a whip. Her weapon has always been the lasso. Now about that.... Moulton invented the lie detector which was one reason for the lasso of truth. The other was that Moulton was also heavy into bondage. But as far as I know, no whip.