• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help with poser magnets

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It looks like making plugins and scripts for Poser is not such a great business. Everybody who was doing that has quit...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh he didn't quit. He just got a regular job working on 3D animations. He did one, came back for a while, and is now working on another. I don't think he'd give up his 3D products if he had the time.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I know, but consider this:

* ShaderWorks retired.
* Phil Cook retired.
* Dimension3D passed away.
* Netherworks went to work on something else.

These guys were the major league on this field. The line up for Poser Python has definitely thinned out. That's what I meant.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I found this at Content Paradise the other day: Magnificent Magnet Tools - is that the same thing?

It seems like an older version of the Magnet Toy. It has most of the same features, but it is meant for Poser 6. Not sure this will work with the current version. There is a good chance you might get the "Wrong magic number" error message.

Hornet3d

Wise
The Magnet Toy was certainly later, this is the feature list at the time and you can see that there are references to retaining Falloffs and Weight Mapped Zones.

Lightweight, fast and robust Poser utility for version 9 or higher.
•Can be installed to ANY Runtime - a new feature for Netherworks' utilities.
?If installed to the main Poser directory, can be accessed through the Scripts Menu.
?Installed to the Poser directory or to any Runtime Library, can be loaded from the props menu (you can also move this loader to any library location you wish to and even add it to your Poser Favorites).
•Magnets are listed on the left side of Magnet Toy (as sets) and allow you to perform various functions on any that you choose (some functions ARE single magnet only). Sets, below, refer to the magnet triad of magnet, zone and base.
?Create Set on a selected body part or prop (or from a list of body parts if a figure is selected). Sets can be automatically named for the body part or prop they are connected to and even be created sequentially (chest, chest_1, chest_2 and so on). You can also choose the display style on creation (outline, wireframe or standard).
?Delete multiple selected sets at once. No muss, no fuss.
?Rename any single selected set, changing the name of the magnet, zone and base at one go.
?Save any number of selected sets at one time, quickly and painlessly. Saving retains custom Falloffs and Weight-Mapped Zones (if using Poser 10 or higher).
?Add Deform Targets to any number of magnets at once to as many elements (body parts or props) at once that you'd like to. One click, check some boxes and done!
?Set the Display Style (outline, wireframe or standard) to any many sets at once as you'd like.
?Copy the Dial Values of any single selected set and then Paste those values to any other set. You can also Paste Flipped along the X, Y or Z-Axis.
?Symmetry Clone (mirror) any number of selected sets across props, body parts or both! Cloned magnets automatically attach to their symmetrical counterparts and also mirror any additional deform targets that have been applied. You can Clone across the X, Y or Z-Axis.(Falloffs are not cloned, nor are Weight-Mapped Zones but instructions are provided to mirror WM).
?Flip any number of selected sets along the X, Y or Z-Axis. Flips do not mirror to the other side of a figure, they flip along the individual object's center.
?On any number of selected sets, Snap Zones to Bases, Bases to Zones, Zones to Object Center and Bases to Object Center.
?Zero Magnets (the deformer part only) on any number of selected sets.
?Spawn Morphs using the influence of any number of selected sets, spawning morphs and full body morph controllers (on Figures only).
?Reset any number of selected sets, returning all parts to their initially created values.
•Real-Time Feedback: Selects Magnets, Bases or Zones in the Scene as you select them in Magnet Toy (and the reversal).
•Easily Manipulate the Scales, Rotations and Translations (Dial Values) of Magnets, Zones and Bases in clever and interesting ways.
?Nudge Dial Values by hovering with your mouse over Magnet Toy's Control Labels. You can turn the mouse wheel to nudge using values that can be changed via a right-click menu (and yes, you can enter your own custom ranges). Folks without a wheel or if your wheel doesn't work for some reason can click to manipulate values.
?Enter Values manually and have them update in the scene in real time.
?Lock Values by Group or Singularly when working with Dials. Click the xScale and it unlocks, and Scale, yScale and zScale lock. Click the zRotate and it unlocks, and xRotate and yRotate lock. There are also shortcuts to lock all dials, unlock all dials and lock and unlock single dials.
•A convenient Connected to line at the bottom of Magnet Toy shows you the parent of any single selected set.
•Magnet Toy is Fully Customizable.
?Change GUI colours, font size, export and import colour schemes, customize lock images and fine-tune several functions.
•Comes with a Comprehensive PDF Guide that includes quick-click bookmarks.
•Comes with an optional visual magnet replacement.

Purchased my copy from RDNA as well, back in 2014.

Hornet3d

Wise
If your feeling a little flush financially Mastering Magnets in Poser by Nerd3D here at Hivewire is not only very informative but great fun. Not cheap but I found it good value for money.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I know, but consider this:

* ShaderWorks retired.
* Phil Cook retired.
* Dimension3D passed away.
* Netherworks went to work on something else.

These guys were the major league on this field. The line up for Poser Python has definitely thinned out. That's what I meant.
Yes, you're correct. The good Python addon creators are gone, or nearly gone. Very sad indeed. :(

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If your feeling a little flush financially Mastering Magnets in Poser by Nerd3D here at Hivewire is not only very informative but great fun. Not cheap but I found it good value for money.

NOBODY knows Poser better than Charles Taylor, so if he made a magnets tutorial, you bet it has everything you need to know about them, and probably some more. In that last Poser webinar I have attended to, even I thought I knew everything one could do with magnets, but Chuck has surprised me with a new trick to animate static hair using them. Magnets have opened many doors in Poser usability for me. They are the equivalent of 3DSMAX dynamic (non-destructive) deformers, and if you have a recent Poser version, you have deformation control at vertex level.

The Magnet Toy won't give you anything you can't already do with plain magnets, but it certainly makes it much easier by automating most of the tedious parts. The only thing the Magnet Toy can't do is to preserve the weight maps when you copy and paste a magnet, but you can still transfer them manually using the existing Poser interface.

Yes, you're correct. The good Python addon creators are gone, or nearly gone. Very sad indeed. :(

I have plans to learn Poser Python, but it has been hard because Poser uses an older version 2, while the mainstream Python is now on version 3. Python is a language that has changed syntax over time, which makes it hard to follow. This means all the Python books I have from my academic days no longer work with later versions - not even the very first code example from my best book. This also means that if you buy the latest Python book, it won't work with Poser Python, because it's stuck on version 2.6. I have been making some progress, but I often get stuck.

I found this at Content Paradise the other day: Magnificent Magnet Tools - is that the same thing?

I have just checked the code from Magnet Toy, and it's hardcoded to work only with Poser 9 or higher. This probably means that he old "Magnificent Magnet Tools" will only work with Poser 6 to 8. Maybe not even that, because I think Poser 7 have upgraded the Python version, which breaks all scripts created before it.

Last edited: