• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I heard on the news earlier that New York (where I live) is the most infected state here in the US. Considering we're on the opposite coast from where you would hit the US from China and the Far East, that's totally amazing. Scares me just to think about it.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
this is the stuff we get here in the news ... no wonder people panic! :somad:

1583821437416.png

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Where I live, we have over 220.000 people living in this city. So far 11 people have it.
Throughout the whole Netherlands 321 people have it, 4 died so far. Those people were about 80 and allready very ill so their immune system had no way of fighting it of. To keep the numbers a bit real, we have 17,4 million people living here in total so to throw a panic fit over 321 cases is a bit much don't you think. I don't think corona is a hype, I think the panic is. Because if this were just any disease I wouldn't know these numbers.
People get the measles, rubella, spanish flu, mexican flu,....but I be damned if I know how many a year and how many have died from it.

Personally I am amazed people need to be reminded to wash their hands in general, that disturbs me more then the virus really.
The province where I live has now the most infected people of our country and I am not worried. If someone doesn't wish to touch me fine but I won't treat others like they have the plague when they need comforting. I think people need to calm down a bit. Not everybody gets it.

@Stezza Thank god our media doesn't bring items like that. That is just horrible.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry, Rowan - I have to disagree with your friend that media hype is causing the panic. Let's not blame the media, please. They are providing information for people. The media is EXACTLY where I get my solid, scientific information about this - from the CDC and other medical experts who are being interviewed.

Stocking up - the same thing happens when there's a prediction of snow around here - everyone clears out the stores, and I don't see people blaming the media for causing panic then.

People just naturally are concerned about this, and they have a reason to be. The best thing is to listen to the health officials and do what they recommend.

I have always been one to store things as we live in earthquake country. Being prepared for emergencies is just smart. At this time, grabbing some extra things in case you have to self quarantine is a good idea - problem is people are going overboard. I'd like to see stores limiting quantities of certain items. A friend mentioned that one store had sanitizer if you asked for it, and that they got a case of it in, but ONE person came and bought the whole case.

I'm in Washington, but hours away from Rowan, and there are no known cases in our area yet.

I'm a hugger so it's hard not to :). We're doing leg or elbow bumps with people, joking as we do it, and being cautious. I'm also an "at risk" person due to age and asthma, so we're planning on going out less, keeping distance from people, etc.

I agree that being prepared is just smart particularly if you live in an area subject to earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes floods and any other sort of disaster scenarios. The empty shelves are the result of people not preparing until a disaster is upon them and, as you rightly say, people going overboard.

The other sad fact is that, while no one is immune to the virus, the impact will felt most by the poor, those who are just about getting by and cannot afford to splash out on extra toilet rolls or hand sanitizers. Those that cannot afford to lose a days wages let alone a fortnight of work. I also feel sorry for those who are retiring right now as their pension is going to be much less today than it would have been only a few weeks ago. That impact is not short term as their pension will be affected for years to come.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I don't know what "media" the Australian image is from, but I'm seeing headlines like this when I google "Australia media coronavirus"

Australia's Top Doctor Says 'Stop Panic Buying' As Coronavirus Fear Hits Supermarkets

No legitimate doctor (or media outlet) would tell people to panic and/or to buy up toilet paper.

You can find "media" sources (and I use that word in quotes for a reason) anywhere who will tell you all kinds of ridiculous, false, and even libelous things. Many just spew garbage. People have to bear the responsibility of having some common sense and making sure they are getting information from reliable sources. You can't paint "the media" with one brush, and blame them for everything. Sorry, but this is a very touchy subject for me.

Any responsible media (and there are TONS of them) are citing experts, telling people to NOT panic, to wash their hands a lot and/or use sanitizer with 60% or higher alcohol content, to avoid hugging or shaking hands, cut back close social contact, and, if you are older and/or have underlying illnesses, to be even more cautious and consider not going out so much.

In fact, I have CNN on right now. and there is a clinical professor from from the NYU Department of Epidemiology on, answering questions from people in a segment called "Fact vs Fiction-Your Questions about Coronavirus". She's talking about being prepared, but not panicking, and staying calm.

Pom, there is a difference between this and many other diseases you mentioned - they have vaccines and/or known treatments for them. That's not yet the case for this.

Definitely a concern on the financial end, Hornet. One reason I'd like to see stores limit quantities of things like sanitizer is because of what you say - some can't afford to stock up and many are being left out completely because supplies have been bought up. Markets and industries will recover, I think, but yeah, short term it's a big hit.

Out here, we're always being told to prepare for natural disasters, but some don't prepare for...well, anything, until (as you said) it's right upon them.
In Washington State, they're doing things like waiving copays for people so they don't have to pay anything to be tested (we have expanded Medicaid in our state, so most people should be insured). The Bill & Melinda Gates foundation pledged $100 million dollars to fight the Coronavirus and is working on at-home test kits for the hard hit Seattle area, which the foundation is funding.

There are a lot of the good people in all areas who are doing things to inform, help and protect the public, and there are always going to be some who want to either spread panic or the opposite - claim that whatever is happening is just a hoax.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Here in Spain the zones more infected closed the nursery schools and schools and institutes.

People are mostly worried about masks ... they even steal them in hospital emergency rooms... i have a friend working there and told me that.

were i live....still are not any cases ... and i hope will are not.

Anyway is a hard time because this implies a lot of problems..not only the disease.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Alisa, I know those diseases have vaccines and/or treatments. Except influenza viruses that is, they mutate so fast even my doctor said the annual flu shot is no guarantee.
In my area they've canceled events and advice people to not carelessly risk the elderly and vulnerable by exposing them to the virus. Like if you go clubbing or go out, don't visit your grandparents or prevent social contacts.
It's common sense in flu season so it's common sense with this virus. I just dislike the tone in de media, like the bubonic plague has descended upon us and the end of days is here.
We had the mexican flu in 2005, we lived through that. The bird flu, Q-fever abd what not.
Since I did the HIV/Aids awareness & prevention years back, I learned so much about human immune systems that I'm pretty much aware of the fact that corona has probably traveled around the globe twice by now and that I'm probably a bigger danger for an older person then a sick person is for me. My defense system is healthy so if I get it, I'm highly likely just to have cold symptoms like 80 out if a 100 have.
So I avoid contact with people who are old and/or who are allready ill with other afflictions. I maintain distance but heaven knows, I will console people. I've never been afraid to touch anyone, I wasn't raised that way.
I'm carefull but fear is a very bad counselor in this case. The media is playing a bad role here. People allready have been attacked for being suspect of being ill or just for being Chinese. That is why I say that we need to keep perspective and all just calm down.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It's crazy about the masks, because the experts will tell you that it's INFECTED people who need masks. They won't help protect you FROM being infected (other than a certain type, and that needs to be fitted to you correctly).
I know...but sadly people panic and don´t think correctly

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I don't know what "media" the Australian image is from, but I'm seeing headlines like this when I google "Australia media coronavirus"

Australia's Top Doctor Says 'Stop Panic Buying' As Coronavirus Fear Hits Supermarkets

No legitimate doctor (or media outlet) would tell people to panic and/or to buy up toilet paper.

You can find "media" sources (and I use that word in quotes for a reason) anywhere who will tell you all kinds of ridiculous, false, and even libelous things. Many just spew garbage. People have to bear the responsibility of having some common sense and making sure they are getting information from reliable sources. You can't paint "the media" with one brush, and blame them for everything. Sorry, but this is a very touchy subject for me.

Any responsible media (and there are TONS of them) are citing experts, telling people to NOT panic, to wash their hands a lot and/or use sanitizer with 60% or higher alcohol content, to avoid hugging or shaking hands, cut back close social contact, and, if you are older and/or have underlying illnesses, to be even more cautious and consider not going out so much.

In fact, I have CNN on right now. and there is a clinical professor from from the NYU Department of Epidemiology on, answering questions from people in a segment called "Fact vs Fiction-Your Questions about Coronavirus". She's talking about being prepared, but not panicking, and staying calm.

Pom, there is a difference between this and many other diseases you mentioned - they have vaccines and/or known treatments for them. That's not yet the case for this.

Definitely a concern on the financial end, Hornet. One reason I'd like to see stores limit quantities of things like sanitizer is because of what you say - some can't afford to stock up and many are being left out completely because supplies have been bought up. Markets and industries will recover, I think, but yeah, short term it's a big hit.

Out here, we're always being told to prepare for natural disasters, but some don't prepare for...well, anything, until (as you said) it's right upon them.
In Washington State, they're doing things like waiving copays for people so they don't have to pay anything to be tested (we have expanded Medicaid in our state, so most people should be insured). The Bill & Melinda Gates foundation pledged $100 million dollars to fight the Coronavirus and is working on at-home test kits for the hard hit Seattle area, which the foundation is funding.

There are a lot of the good people in all areas who are doing things to inform, help and protect the public, and there are always going to be some who want to either spread panic or the opposite - claim that whatever is happening is just a hoax.

I've been living without insurance for decades. Recently my son has gotten on me about that and sent me a link to Washington State insurance. I can get insurance for about 100 a month through them. I just need to wait until next November to apply.

robert952

Brilliant
My advice...

1. Check at least two RELIABLE sources when something sounds fishy. Toilet paper, a product designed to break down in water, as a face mask? When you exhale, the output is about 5-6% water vapor. Think about that and throw the Bull Shit flag on that play when someone says you can make a face mask out of toilet paper.

Medical sites like the Mayo Clinic and WebMD have been sources for me. Most medical colleges have web sites. The news media here (US) also suggests CDC.gov (Center for Disease Control) in the US. Use reliable sources for information. (Forget Facebook, Instagram and such.)

BTW, don't trust me and take my word for it...check multiple sources yourself. (If you find I am in error, let me know what sources you used.)

2. Keep in mind the numbers are based on reported cases. One thread that is constant through the in depth coverage stress this: we likely do not know the total number of people actually infected. Why? Per what I have seen in my 'research' (or at least fact checking) is that people may have had the corona virus and did not know it. In low risk groups it can manifest itself as a minor respiratory event...not much worse than the 'common cold'... or a mild case of the 'common flu.'

There is reason for major concern. The unknown total number makes it difficult (impossible?) to know how many carriers of the virus are out there. So, the virus can easily be spread by those who do not present symptoms. But, if you take heed and limit exposure to large groups, you reduce the odds of getting infected.

Be concerned. The percentage of death within the cases reported is higher than the 'normal' flu. But the number is likely not indicative of the whole population; the numbers are only indicative of the higher at risk part of the population which is what the media can report as fact.

Also consider the scale and how the numbers are portrayed. In our national news they show a map of the US; 36 states have outbreaks. North Carolina (NC - my home state) is colored in as one of the states. We only have 7 reported cases in two counties (as of 9 hours ago); most are in my home county.

Let's put that in perspective. NC is geographically about the size of Austria and Switzerland combined. Our state's population is about 10 million (a bit more than Austria's population). Two counties are affected. (Again, as sense of scale, we have 100 counties in NC.) But, listening to the sound bites in national news, you get a map with more and more states red as 'having outbreaks' and (respecting the short time frame to report news) they don't report the details. The graphic can be a bit misleading and cause panic. We only have 7 cases. And, yes, I acknowledge: so far.

So, as already stated, don't panic and wash your hands. Sources will say wash in warm water for at least 20 seconds with antiseptic soap - about the length of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday to You twice or the first verse of Elvis Presley's Jail House Rock. (And you are taking my word for that, right? Nope, you really should check for yourself. Other songs to sing: How long should I wash my hands? Sing one of these songs)

Knowledge is power and when you find the information it's more meaningful.

DanaTA

Distinguished
1,000 confirmed cases in the U.S. Population: approximately 300,000,000. So, 10% of that would be 30,000,000. 1% would be 3,000,000. .1% (one tenth of a percent) would be 300,000. .01% (one hundredth of a percent) would be 30,000. .001% (one thousandth of a percent) would be 3,000. So, confirmed cases are about .0003% (three ten-thousandths of a percent) of the population.

Put another way, if your city/town has a population of 100 thousand, 30 people would be infected. Do you know 1,000 people? If you did, one third of one person would be infected.

Things can get worse, of course. And not knowing how many true cases there are makes it difficult to be sure of these figures. There probably are a lot more cases that are just not that serious...which puts the infection/death ratio even lower. But for now, things are being blown up way out of proportion.

To put this in perspective:
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu. CDC Stats on influenza

That's about a little more than 10% of the population with confirmed cases of the flu. But that's not hitting the newscasts, is it? It's not sensational enough, I guess. We should be more concerned about the flu! For now.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Actually, just checked the CDC stats on COVID-19, and it's more surprising...confirmed cases is listed as 647, with 20 deaths. This was updated on March 10th. So the percentage of cases compared to the population is even smaller than I had calculated.

Dana