• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

robert952

Brilliant
Actually, just checked the CDC stats on COVID-19, and it's more surprising...confirmed cases is listed as 647, with 20 deaths. This was updated on March 10th. So the percentage of cases compared to the population is even smaller than I had calculated.

Dana
Thanks for the perspective.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
great info, @robert952.

Sources will say wash in warm water for at least 20 seconds with antiseptic soap

One small note- it doesn't need to be antiseptic or antibiotic soap (in fact, over-use of antibacterial soaps is not a good thing in general). Just plain old soap.

Also, it's important to dry your hands well, not let them just air dry. Drying with a clean cloth or paper towels can additionally wipe even more germs off of you.

There definitely are reasons that numbers are skewed - in the US, there's not a lot of testing, people who have died may have died from Corona Virus but weren't identified as dying from that (see "not a lot of testing"), and certainly, a lot of people probably have it and are not getting any real symptoms (seems to be younger folks) so aren't being included in the numbers.

A link for home info - this is the CDC:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Knowledge is power and when you find the information it's more meaningful.

Yes.

The kindest thing I have ever done for myself has been to turn off the tv and find alternate sources for news. Working from home, I used to have tv and news on in the background all day and night, programming me and my family with its programming. It’s been over 10 years with it off. Anxiety levels decreased, I feel more grounded and less ‘rushed’. The first few years I was totally disconnected, then started streaming my choice of programming on my time schedule.

Currently, there are two or three things on cable tv that I watch live, everything else gets streamed on my schedule. The three hours per week I spend on live tv plugs me back in to ‘programming’ which becomes more and more obvious to me the more I am away from it.

Seeking alternate sources for news and information has been liberating to say the least, and yes, because I sought to do so on my own, that much more meaningful.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@LisaB I need some noise on the background when I create my poses, can't work without it. So I choose my favorite old tv-shows on youtube or when I have the TV on I choose a serie on demand mostly.
Sometimes I put on a political debate, you can watch those here you know, on it's own streaming channel. For some odd reason, as soon as politicians start to talk I hear this "wa-wa-wa"-kindoff sound that is helping me focus. I don't listen what they say 'cause I can turn that off - a trick I learned from my mother - but just people talking on the background is enough.
Then again, I am a very weird person.

Hornet3d

Wise
@LisaB I need some noise on the background when I create my poses, can't work without it. So I choose my favorite old tv-shows on youtube or when I have the TV on I choose a serie on demand mostly.
Sometimes I put on a political debate, you can watch those here you know, on it's own streaming channel. For some odd reason, as soon as politicians start to talk I hear this "wa-wa-wa"-kindoff sound that is helping me focus. I don't listen what they say 'cause I can turn that off - a trick I learned from my mother - but just people talking on the background is enough.
Then again, I am a very weird person.

I am always amazed at how the brain can appear to switch off hearing. Many years ago I worked in a telephone exchange full of hundreds or mechanical switches all whirling away as calls were made. You were overwhelmed with the sound at first but soon it became the norm and the brain switched off the noise yet the noise of a faulty unit was quickly recognised so clearly the brain is still monitoring the sound even if you are not actively listening at the time.

I can work in a quiet room and do not need any background unless there is some noise such as a ticking clock or the hum of some part of the computer. Any such noise means I have to cover it with the TV or some music as I just can't concentrate otherwise.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm with you Pom. I can't sit in a room that's totally soundless. Even if I'm reading, I'll have the TV on low enough I can't really make out what's being said, but still producing a very slight noise to fill the silence.

The only time I want complete silence, is when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. Funny that, as when I was a teenager, I used to have my radio set to be on very low for about an hour before it shut itself off. Back then it helped me fall asleep.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I am always amazed at how the brain can appear to switch off hearing. Many years ago I worked in a telephone exchange full of hundreds or mechanical switches all whirling away as calls were made. You were overwhelmed with the sound at first but soon it became the norm and the brain switched off the noise yet the noise of a faulty unit was quickly recognised so clearly the brain is still monitoring the sound even if you are not actively listening at the time.

I can work in a quiet room and do not need any background unless there is some noise such as a ticking clock or the hum of some part of the computer. Any such noise means I have to cover it with the TV or some music as I just can't concentrate otherwise.

I love sitting in a quiet room but then working in a call centre all day where the noise is rather intense the peace and quiet is a luxury, but I like my computer to make some noise when I got my new computer I avoided a silent one, I find the gentle hum soothing.

Actually, just checked the CDC stats on COVID-19, and it's more surprising...confirmed cases is listed as 647, with 20 deaths. This was updated on March 10th. So the percentage of cases compared to the population is even smaller than I had calculated.

Dana

That number will grow fast, considering that only around 11,000+ tests were performed until today. There's a real lack of testing in the US at the moment; when you finally get caught up the numbers will rise quickly. Right now, there are 1400+ infected with 39 deaths according to CDC. Pretty sure once there are enough test kits available and testing being done, there will be a real upsurge.

The numbers are growing really fast all over Europe. The numbers for Germany (also the USA) are already outdated on the map Stezza mentioned.

Hornet3d

Wise
I love sitting in a quiet room but then working in a call centre all day where the noise is rather intense the peace and quiet is a luxury, but I like my computer to make some noise when I got my new computer I avoided a silent one, I find the gentle hum soothing.

Actually I agree with that, my computer although built as a silent one has a whisper sound of the fans that I actually like a lot. My previous one had a sort of rattle from the fans when it was running full pelt and I hated that.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't mind wildlife sounds. But I absolutely detest people/traffic noise when I'm relaxing or working. I have to be completely in the right frame of mind to steam an episode when I'm working at the computer at home. But I usually end up being distracted by it, or continually rewinding because I missed something. I really can't stream something just to ignore it.

It has taken me almost a year to finally stop being irritated by the sound of the door into our area closing. It is the most annoying sound. Although, it's possible I don't notice it as much because the overall noise level has increased from people talking. Between Help Desk calls, one manager holding "meetings" at people's desks, and another manager who is loud, phone calls, and general chatting, it's really difficult to focus at work. Several of my coworkers wear headsets and listen to music, but I've never been able to do that for more than a few minutes before it becomes too distracting. The coworker sitting across the isle from me is so frustrated by the noise level, he's turned his music up so loud I hear it.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Governor of Pennsylvania today ordered mass closings in Montgomery County to last 14 days in an effort to slow the spread of the Coronavirus. Montgomery County is the epicenter of the outbreak in PA, but the surrounding counties are also reporting cases. My street is the border between Philadelphia County and Montgomery County.

The closure affects all schools, universities, gyms, state-licensed daycare, entertainment venues, community centers, and non essential retail stores (which includes the King of Prussia shopping center). Criminal/civil jury trials and jury duty in Montgomery County are also cancelled during the two weeks. All driver license centers and photo license centers in Montgomery County are also closed.

"Drastic" measures like this is essential, not that I consider the closures drastic. Not when you're dealing with a virus no one has any kind of an immunity to. I fully expect the surrounding counties to continue to report new cases, and I will not be at all surprised if the closure extends to the surrounding counties. With all the travel within the Philadelphia metropolitan area (which includes Montgomery County), it's just a matter of time. After all, people are going to continue to commute to and from work on crowded trains between Montgomery County and Philadelphia.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, even if you get the virus, you'll only be sick for 2 or 3 weeks. You don't need 6 months worth of toilet paper!!!!! o_O People are crazy! It's a frenzy! I think they're hoarding bananas, too. The market I go to had only a few pairs and some loose ones. No bunches. Usually, they always have a full display of bunches, lots of them.

Dana

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Well, even if you get the virus, you'll only be sick for 2 or 3 weeks. You don't need 6 months worth of toilet paper!!!!! o_O People are crazy! It's a frenzy! I think they're hoarding bananas, too. The market I go to had only a few pairs and some loose ones. No bunches. Usually, they always have a full display of bunches, lots of them.

Dana
Yes, many people are going bananas!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to be completely in the right frame of mind to steam an episode when I'm working at the computer at home. But I usually end up being distracted by it, or continually rewinding because I missed something. I really can't stream something just to ignore it.
This is why I only watch reruns of my favorite series during the day, as I've already seen them at least 2 or 3 times. ;)

The first run series I watch are on from 8:00pm to 11:00pm, so it's easy for me to relax while eating dinner, and watch one of my preferred series new episodes. I don't usually "stream" shows, so I don't worry about missing anything in a "new" episode during the day.

McGyver

Energetic
The surgeon general said “Don’t wear masks because they don’t work“... “they don’t protect your eyes”... “they make you touch you face more”... “they should be left for medical personnel“...

Problem solved...

It protects my eyes... I can’t reach my face... I don’t think a lot of medical professionals wear these... and it helps strangers come to terms with their Planet Of The Apes apocalypse fears.
A707C464-AB72-4418-913A-89B2F51BC6DD.jpeg