• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think it depends on which Measles you had. I had German Measles, and IIRC, that's easier to get a second time, though I never did.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
By the time the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR) was introduced in 1963, those of us born in the early 50s (or earlier) had more than likely already had measles and mumps, and perhaps also rubella (German measles). WIth both measles and rubella, it's once and done. You are immune "for life." You won't get measles a second time, and you won't get rubella a second time. But measles doesn't protect against rubella and rubella doesn't protect against measles because they are caused by different viruses. It is rare, but possible to get mumps again.

Rubella is milder and less contagious than measles. Maybe because I was so sick, I just assumed that rubella was more severe. Or it's entirely possible that being a child, I mixed up the two. Although, I do remember people wondering why I could have rubella when I'd already had the measles. So, that whole "measles/german measles" name thing even confused the adults.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I had all my childhood diseases during the summers at sleep-away camp. I'm pretty sure there was a third, but it's been so long ago, I can't recall now what it was. It probably wasn't as big a deal as Measles/German Measles and the Mumps were back then.

With the German Measles my folks had to come pick me up and take me home, because the camp's infirmary said I was too contagious to stay there, so missed most of that summer. With the Mumps they let me stay, but boy what a mess. At first I thought I only had it on one side, but once that healed, it broke out on the other side. I think I spent a long time in the infirmary that year.

unreal

Noteworthy
I honestly didn't know there WAS a vaccine for measles. I had measles and mumps when I was a kid. Always told that once you've had measles or mumps you can't catch it again.
I had to get another MMR 2 years ago. My partner had read that back in the day, for a few years, the vaccine they used was not a "lifetime" thing. Checked with my mom: yes I got the vaccine then. Check with my GP, who tested. Yes, my vaccinated status was "not any more". So I had to get a jab.
Due to past surgery, I'm jabbed ever couple of years anyway (various things, pneumonia being the most dangerous). Then Covid, 3 jabs there. Fourth coming in 2 weeks. Just had the Flu jab since we're heading into winter and just about to travel internationally. When I travel between hemispheres during the extreme seasons, I often catch something. 20 hours in a tin can, between temperatures of 30-40º difference, into a place where I have no immunity to local fauna... Uhg.

eclark1894

Visionary
I had to get another MMR 2 years ago. My partner had read that back in the day, for a few years, the vaccine they used was not a "lifetime" thing. Checked with my mom: yes I got the vaccine then. Check with my GP, who tested. Yes, my vaccinated status was "not any more". So I had to get a jab.
Due to past surgery, I'm jabbed ever couple of years anyway (various things, pneumonia being the most dangerous). Then Covid, 3 jabs there. Fourth coming in 2 weeks. Just had the Flu jab since we're heading into winter and just about to travel internationally. When I travel between hemispheres during the extreme seasons, I often catch something. 20 hours in a tin can, between temperatures of 30-40º difference, into a place where I have no immunity to local fauna... Uhg.
How close will the fauna let you get???

unreal

Noteworthy
I'm hoping my pincushion disguise keeps everything at bay. Pretty sure going back to the states, I'll end up with Covid. The things we do for parent-in-laws. Sigh....

unreal

Noteworthy
I think I need to get some sort of Shingles vaccine. I had chicken pox as a kid. Apparently that makes you vulnerable to Shingles as an adult. Which is dangerous. Getting a bit "vax exhausted" though. :|

Imma have to make it official: I's sick (and tired) of Covid.

There. I said it. Someone had to.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think I need to get some sort of Shingles vaccine. I had chicken pox as a kid. Apparently that makes you vulnerable to Shingles as an adult.
I had Chicken Pox as a kid as well, and I never got the Shingles vaccine. I happen to know someone who had Shingles, and she suffered with it. Very sensitive to anything that touched her.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I lucked out for the most part. Caught colds and flu as a kid. As well as various "stomach flus" some of which I suspect may have been mild food poisoning, or just a sensitivity to something that made me miserable for a couple of days. But the only "childhood disease" which I ever caught was rubella, and I didn't get that until I was 15.

And that was pretty bad. It took just over a week end-to-end, not the 3 days that people always claimed. Just as glad to have missed the rest of the catalogue.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I lucked out for the most part. Caught colds and flu as a kid. As well as various "stomach flus" some of which I suspect may have been mild food poisoning, or just a sensitivity to something that made me miserable for a couple of days. But the only "childhood disease" which I ever caught was rubella, and I didn't get that until I was 15.

And that was pretty bad. It took just over a week end-to-end, not the 3 days that people always claimed. Just as glad to have missed the rest of the catalogue.
The problem is, if you don't get them as a child, you can still get them, and as an adult, some of them can be more dangerous.

Dana

unreal

Noteworthy
This second Covid booster is sort of affecting me. First jab was a sore arm. Second and third were non-events. This one I have a headache and a tight throat. Last week's Flu vax was nothing, either. On the other hand, I also have a bit of hay fever going and it's Autumn with a vengeance in Sydney. Cool and yet more rain. I'm having to bail on my early morning row (crew). I don't want to make myself sick for real O.O

unreal

Noteworthy
Well. We got to test the vaccine booster. I had my second one prepping for US trip (TX, WA, CA). I qualified due to immuno-compromise. Partner could not. Too young and healthy. Despite the fact that we were traveling to the friggin' Covid nightmare of the US to visit old people. While there, our house and dog sitter back in Sydney came down with Covid. We had to change everything and fly back as quickly as possible.

Rules flying to AU says masks on plane (once in AU air space), and test within 24 hours of landing. We did. Both tested negative. Whew. Next morning, partner was sick. We tested again. I was negative. She was positive. We added up the days. Our last day in Texas was when it happened. The unmasked and unvaxed masses of rural Austin. Side note: while waiting for a table, some ZZ top looking geezer for some reason regaled me with tales of his vast gun collection and how the police were a conspiracy to charge god fearing people for nothing. I'm not kidding. Me and my friend backed up real slow. I was afraid of catching something from the guy but also of wearing a mask. The US is messed up.

So me, with highest power booster (2 weeks, post jab), did not and has not caught covid. I test daily. Partner, with 7-8 months since last booster did. And I'm the weaker immune system one of us. She did get booster in states, but that's not effective until 2 weeks later. Caught it 2 days later.

Now this brings up how stupid Aussie policy is. Australia is messed up too.

1) we were traveling to known Covid hot spot, then coming back. We could pay the full cost out of pocket (no medicare) for booster. There is no shortage of boosters. But she was not allowed under Aussie regulations. We had money. The chemist had product. But rules said no.

2) test in first 24 hours of arriving. Covid takes on average 3 days to show and to test positive (with RATs). And it's also contagious about the same time, or a day less. If contracted just before flying, 24 hour test will show nothing. And it did. Next day showed it. So if contagious the day before testing positive, then mingling with people for an entire day before known to have Covid.

That's the sort of brilliant policy that let omicron in in the first place.

Due to Aussie policy, vaccine booster was NOT allowed combined with a return test policy that let it be contracted then make free entry back into the country.

Yeah, that's brilliant.

At least it's election day. I have a strict 5-8 strikes policy :p

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Be careful here in the states, there are allot of deniers here and in Texas there are allot of .... well you know, you watch the news I take it. Just be careful and don't let anyone tell you that wearing a mask is stupid or anything like that. Flip them off or just ignore them!

unreal

Noteworthy
Be careful here in the states, there are allot of deniers here and in Texas there are allot of .... well you know, you watch the news I take it. Just be careful and don't let anyone tell you that wearing a mask is stupid or anything like that. Flip them off or just ignore them!
We'll probably not be going back there for a very long time. It's just not pleasant to us.

Hornet3d

Wise

It never ceases to amaze me just how far some people around the world can bury their heads in the sand and deny something that is clearly a basic fact. It is like looking at pictures taken of the of the earth from space and still maintaining the the earth is flat.