• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Love the kitties!

Went out to lunch with my son and granddaughter today. First time since January and we usually do it once a month. Went to a place in the middle of my small one road town that has a Bunch of meat smokers and outdoor seating. Sure was nice!

Hornet3d

Wise
A new character enters the recreation room.
Garage Revamp 1 19 06.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Went out to lunch with my son and granddaughter today. First time since January and we usually do it once a month. Went to a place in the middle of my small one road town that has a Bunch of meat smokers and outdoor seating. Sure was nice!
Our Mayor announced they're going to start allowing restaurants with outdoor seating to start opening up on Monday. There's at least one restaurant around here that has outdoor seating in the nice weather, and I saw them setting up the area with tables and chairs the other day.

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Hello :flower01:

I am still learning Blender, I have also started looking at character rendering. I tried the latest "Diffeomorphic plugin (Daz -> Blender)" which now works quite well (it will import the character and create full rigging, and even allows importing all morphs/expressions etc). Materials are created, but I want to create my own, which I am currently working on.
I have started reading again (fiction), which I have not done for many years, now I am am reading 2 or 3 books a week. Its great that my main concern at the moment, is which book to read next. ( I am thinking either Dark materials trilogy(Philip Pullman) or Foundation series(Isaac Asmiov)).

Please stay safe.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't recall if I've read Pullman's Trilogy, but I've read all of the Foundation series books, and they are my all time favorites.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Oh he's the one that wrote the Golden Compass that was made into a movie starring Nicole Kidman!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, you know, I thought his name was familiar, but I couldn't think of what book(s) of his I might have read. I DID read the Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. It was just so long ago I didn't remember if I did, or not.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Golden Compass (or Northern Lights), The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass are the His Dark Materials trilogy.

I too read them ages ago when they were first released.

I probably read the early Foundation books, as I read a lot of Isaac Asimov's books when I was young. Back when Science Fiction / Fantasy was primarily Science Fiction, so instead of being able to read about dragons and magic, you had to settle for spaceships and technology.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I read the early Foundation books when I was in Primary/early Highschool, don't think I could remember any of it now. I don't think I've read anything by Pullman but did like the movie.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Me too, it's a shame they didn't finish the trilogy in movie form but I guess not enough folks liked Golden Compass!

Steve.M

Enthusiast
There is currently a TV series "His Dark Materials" that is supposed to be covering all 3 books. Season 1 is finished/out (I have not seen it). Now if the series continues, well, we never know.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Who and where can we see the series?

Oh wait, HBO... AH.... never mind. Thanks Steve! I got HBO on Hulu!

Miss B

CV-BEE
When you finish them, and if you like them as much as I did, there's a Second Foundation Trilogy series that was written by 3 well established Sci-Fi authors (referred to as the 3 Bs, "with the permission -- and blessing-- of the Asimov estate". These were also 3 very good books you might also enjoy, but I would definitely finish Azimov's books first.

The three books are:
1) Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford
2) Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear
3) Foundation's Triumph by David Brin

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Thank you for the book names. I have taken note.
I am half way through book 2 of foundation, and like his writing.

I will be going back to creating my character. I need to create hair/clothes, but still not decided on who my character will be yet, well, apart from being male.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Anyone read anything by Gail Carriger? She's got a very good style of writing. I devoured Parasol Protectorate Series Books and then bought some others but then found ANOTHER series by her, see below. I've kinda burned out on reading every night so those are waiting in the wings...

If your wondering what sort of books could these be.. think of horror (werewolves, vampires and more), fantasy and steampunk all rolled into one. YUP! VERY VERY FUN!

Gail Carriger Etiquette and Espionage series.png

McGyver

Energetic
I just found out the other day that Apple TV is doing a take on the Foundation Series... they switched up a few characters, and may have added some or renamed them... I‘ve forgotten most of them by now, so I could be wrong.
It looks visually appealing, but who knows where it will go... Asimov’s stories have been notoriously hard to nail down.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I saw that notice as well, but don't have access to whatever cable network they'll be showing it on, or I would definitely be watching it.

Steve.M

Enthusiast
It appears I have messed up the reading order of Foundation. I started reading the Foundation (original) trilogy, when I should of started with the 2 prequels. It also appears I should be looking to read series "Robots" and "Galactic" before "Foundation".
So I will go back and start reading "Robots". Maybe that will get be building my own robot character.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I read a lot of his books, and I didn't have a problem reading the 2 prequels after I read the original 3 books. The original stories first appeared in a magazine a long time before he decided to write the rest of the books. I seem to remember both he and his wife were authors of a good many non-fiction books, and his publisher talked him into publishing the original stores in book form, and that's how the Foundation series came to be. I don't recall if the prequels were written before any of the other books in the Foundation series. I'd have to hunt them down somewhere in my huge book collection to see.

I read the 4 Robot books, and the Galactic Empire books, but not necessarily in relation to the Foundation series. In fact, I read I, Robot loooong before they made the movie. I don't recall if I had finished all of the Foundation series before getting into his other books. The only stories I never read were the huge volumes of short stores (a good many of them about the Robots), as I prefer novels to short stories.