• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

I have been very lucky in life but chose not to have children because I did not want the responsibility of bringing another person into a very broken world.

You're not alone there, many people choose to make that decision for genetic reasons. Especially there's a strong risk of a generational skipping condition, as it wouldn't be fair on any kids. As a bloke I'd also argue that men should take that kinda responsibility and not leave it to women.

Doesn't have to stop us engaging rampant bunny mode. Because lets face it, that's what biologically men are. Just means we have think with more than body parts.

eclark1894

Visionary
You're not alone there, many people choose to make that decision for genetic reasons. Especially there's a strong risk of a generational skipping condition, as it wouldn't be fair on any kids. As a bloke I'd also argue that men should take that kinda responsibility and not leave it to women.

Doesn't have to stop us engaging rampant bunny mode. Because lets face it, that's what biologically men are. Just means we have think with more than body parts.

Well, actually for me, no woman wanted to have children. For me that's a deal breaker. But as I grew up with out a father, or a grandfather or grandmother on either side of the family, I really didn't want to deprive my children of that experience like I was.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I got a hair or something in my eye a few days ago. It was so bad yesterday that I considered having my son come over and take me to the emergency room. Then I remembered covid. Nope no way. It's better today and I'm leaving my contact out of that eye for a couple days to let it rest. I wear bifocal contacts so right now I can only see distance well unless I get really close to something I can't see it. So I'm working on packing up a couple freebies.

It sounds like kids are getting some really bad condition from covid now. :<

McGyver

Energetic
BBB86673-911F-4034-A4EA-C32805BADAAC.jpeg

Just for the record that was harder to do than I thought it would be...
I was going to make a whole PSA type poster with personal safety tips, but this is as far as I got.
Mostly because sticking googly eyes to your fingers isn’t as straightforward as I assumed.
I tried some rubber cement like glue first, but that dries before you can get it in place... like it’s an instant reaction once it touches my skin.
I have a ridiculous amount of adhesives because I make stuff, but most of them are either too nasty-toxic or will result in the googly eyes permanently being part of my body... that or they have some weird reaction to my skin... like catalyzing instantly or never catalyzing... ever.
Most people would have just said “aw, screw this” after the first two googly eyes fell off, but I’m the opposite... I’m like “oh, hell no... you’re going on...”
I’m randomly stubborn and insanely determined for the stupidest things.
Like this.
I eventually got fed up and used cyanoacrylate glue (super glue/crazy glue) which if I hadn’t had some beers before, it would have dawned on me that it would immediately harden on my skin, but not stick to the polyethylene eyeballs...
So after sticking several on I realized “Derr... oh yeah... CA glues react to the oils in your skin...“
So now where each eye was, I had a tiny platform of hardened glue on my finger.
yeah... I was determined to do this thing.
(If you folks ever get bored enough remind me to tell you about the stray cat under the floorboards in my old house... it’s a study in animal/human stubbornness and refusing to let something go though a series of gradually escalating acts of stupidity)
So knowing this was a bad idea, I decide to glue the rest on the same way, then use the glue spots as anchor points for double sided acrylic adhesive tape bits... this tape is designed to stick plastic emblems to car bodies (the next step would have been the material used to stick aluminum patches onto aircraft bodies) the tape sticks great to pretty much any plastic including polypropylene which nothing likes to stick to.
In fer a penny, in fer a pound...
So I stuck all the eyes on, took the picture and realized that was pretty stupid.
Like its not funny at all.
Not even a little.
Especially since I now had tiny little flat disks of glue and assorted face parts drawn on my fingers in permanent ink, once I removed them so I could add the text part using Pixelmator on my iPad... (yeah- I used a fine sharpie)...
In fact the whole joke was so stupid, I’m only relaying the story of my stupidity, because that’s slightly more amusing solely because of the look on my wife’s face (who by the way didn’t kill me, but thanks for being concerned, eclark... I’ve gotten good at playing dead and digging my way out of shallow graves)...
My wife was doing something in the kitchen and asked me to get a spoon, and when I handed it to her she asked “what’s... that... on your hand?”... with that immediate realization of “oh god, why did I ask... this is going to be so stupid...”
It’s a look she’s refined over years of living with me.
But before I even managed to say anything, one of my daughters who was standing nearby (who had seen none of the nonsense or was aware of the photo) leaned over and guessed “it looks like dad glued something on his fingers to take one of those funny pictures he keeps texting with his friends... probably faces”... “googly eyes?”
She would know this instinctively, as she did, because she does the same kind of stuff... Some people pass on to their offspring things like beautiful eyes, long legs, nice skin... I gave her insanity and a reckless sense of humor.
But she’s good with that.
I‘m pretty sure she’s going to tear a whole in the fabric of space at some point and it won’t be because she screwed up making an instant matter transporter, it’ll be because of a really stupid joke... and it’ll will probably involve a toaster and some of the microwave oven parts I’ve collected.
Yeah.
Thats all... there was no point to this.
Cheers, y’al.

Without googly eyes, I’m afraid I‘d be up to no good... or more no good... depends on how you look at it.

Well I'm a great believer in if get an eyeroll from the Better Half it's probably a really dumb idea, but usually that only encourages me;)

Also know that "oh B*gger" feeling when you're using kicker with stupidly super-strong super-glue then realise it's eaten through your glove.
Before remembering you've left the acetone on the other side of the kitchen.

Though sometimes I find while the idea was there, and the implementation didn't work out.
Instead it becomes a good learning experience.
Like here...found this little doodler on thingverse and thought there's gotta be some silliness/prank potential here.

Can't remember the original idea, though the 1st thing about 3d printing as a source medium is theres always a balancing act.
If you want less postwork and a tad more detail you can choose to print "fine".
But that means longer print times and a less strong print.

Especially on cheaper basic PLA printers like the one I use or where you want a small print.
Here these are around 4-5cm wide.

So I go for the average setting, which then leaves the question how to smooth prints.
Acetone doesn't work on PLA and I can't afford 30 quid on smooth-on style products.
Hence the disasters here...from left to right..

viri.jpg

Not shown, polyurethane varnish. Either poured over or dipped.
Yes it smooths, but varnish is meant to be a protective/sealing finish.
So paint doesn't like sticking to it.

The 1st was done by pouring several small amounts of 2 part resin over the print.
The stuff used for casting. Works on flat things, tends to pool at the bottom.

The 2nd attempt used a dedicated USB powered tool.
Kinda like a USB soldering iron, but with special tips including a bowl shaped one.
Really good for cutting off supports and punching holes, though smoothing is really tricky.
Sometimes helps if you warm the print with a hot airgun or hairdryer.

The 3rd is pound store nail varnish base coat. Takes about 6-10 coats and does reduce detail level.
More so if using yellow filler primer afterwards, so "lose" 2-3 coats of base coats.

Priming it after with car acrylic primer gives it that final smooth.
Though even without primer, base coat is designed to be painted over, so both acrylics and enamels work fine.

Just remember don't be an idiot like me and make sure to clean any dust of the print BEFORE priming it :(