• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Getting used to new habits for Coronavirus....

McGyver

Energetic
Well I'm a great believer in if get an eyeroll from the Better Half it's probably a really dumb idea, but usually that only encourages me;)

Also know that "oh B*gger" feeling when you're using kicker with stupidly super-strong super-glue then realise it's eaten through your glove.
Before remembering you've left the acetone on the other side of the kitchen.

Though sometimes I find while the idea was there, and the implementation didn't work out.
Instead it becomes a good learning experience.
Like here...found this little doodler on thingverse and thought there's gotta be some silliness/prank potential here.

So I go for the average setting, which then leaves the question how to smooth prints.
Acetone doesn't work on PLA and I can't afford 30 quid on smooth-on style products.
Hence the disasters here...from left to right...

Priming it after with car acrylic primer gives it that final smooth.
Though even without primer, base coat is designed to be painted over, so both acrylics and enamels work fine.

In the states there is a material call “Feather Fill”, it’s a sprayable, catalyzed two part polyester resin meant for auto body restoration... We used to use it to coat low density epoxy foam models... the “foam” is porous, but it actually looks more like wood, and is used to carve quick mock-ups for design study models or props... sometimes a client would want a more finished look to the model and we’d need to seal it... the stuff drinks primer and paint, but “feather fill“ makes a smooth shell on the surface.
Its a little tricky to use, and will ruin an airbrush or touch-up gun if you let it catalyze in the spray gun and it’s easy to obliterate details if one is reckless, so you have to be really careful... but it’s pretty cool to use once you get the hang of it.

If you look it up as “Evercoat 712 Feather Fill Gray G2 Primer” you might be able to find it... though it might not be available outside the US due to environmental regulations. A quart kit usually goes for around $45- $50 USD.

If you have lots of cash lying about that you want to toss around, you could also try brushable two part marine epoxy primer... thats almost twice as expensive, but more forgiving in that it’s brushable, can be thinned to a desired viscosity, and is probably easier to find in boating supply shops... but at $90-$110 for a 2 quart kit, it’s probably not worth it for small jobs, since it will probably go bad before you use it up... (average 1 year shelf life if you don’t nitrogen purge the can before closing it).

Or... you can try experimenting with various 10 - 30 minute cure epoxies which are way cheaper and can be found in hardware or DIY stores. I use them sometimes, for small items that need a hard seal coat... since there are often different epoxy formulas, thinning it can involve experimentation... depending on brand, formula or purpose, you can thin it with xylene, acetone, lacquer thinner or even denatured alcohol. But experiment first on something you don’t care for and won’t miss if it’s ruined. Here dollar stores often sell cheap small art brushes, so maybe the pound stores might too, as you want something soft, disposable and cheap to paint on the epoxy with as you usually don’t get much mileage out of the brushes.

I should probably stop now as this entirely unsolicited and you probably know all this already and are like “thanks, but enough already”...

I tend to over-share useless knowledge and suggestions a lot.

Anyway, sorry if this was stuff you already knew or was pointless prattle.

McGyver

Energetic
one of my cicada shells :flower02:

and vegies and fruity things with eyes looking at me!

I envy your cicada shells... the dang squirrels devour all the ones around here... finding one intact is like finding gold...
well... “gold” if it were the form of a cast off exoskeleton of an invertebrate and had absolutely no monetary value whatsoever and people freaked out when you gave it to them.

Anyway, sorry if this was stuff you already knew or was pointless prattle.

Far from it, this is what I call useful info.

There's a lot of stuff in the US and Australia that never makes to the mainstream UK arts/crafts "knowledge bank".
Suppliers have it, but over here you can't send aerosols and chemicals via the post office. Instead it has to couriered or collected.
For instance if you wanted to buy a £4.99 rattle can from one of our local model shops, it's either a £4.50 delivery fee or £5 train fare!

Not used Feather Fill, though seems similar to the type of polyester resin I've used with fibreglass.
The epoxy primer sounds like what I'd call an epoxy coating resin, as used to protect artworks.
Which I've never done as that's scarily expensive stuff.

Also use the 5 minute epoxy's, the poundland one is just as good as the 7-10 branded ones.
These I tend to spread with a card as too thick to brush on.
Though never tried thinning them before, so thanks for that tip.

Not tried epoxy foam either, just the expanding stuff in tins, carving it afterwards then sealing/covering it with whatever is around.
From gesso or PVA, plaster-bandage or papermachie. Though recently I had to get industrial with expanding foam to stop pests.

doorbrd.jpg
After the arson in August all our landlord did was board the door up to the burned out flat, which is how remains today.

A place that stank before the fire, with booze bottles, and food and human waste everywhere.

Chuck in a nice warm summer and it wasn't long before maggots and flies started appearing.
So some of us decided to seal the boarded up edges with spray-foam.

As that's something mice can chew through, just before the foam dried we quickly slapped on an unholy mix of almost every adhesive we had.
Probably using poundstore brushes, as like you say, these are the default for jobs like that.

From powergrip, superglue, and 2-part epoxy, gorilla glue before spraying on another layer of foam.
Though despite it resembling nuclear hardened concrete, it hasn't stopped cockroaches from getting out.

We also have to "enjoy" that viewpoint every-time we go out, so some of us have decided to decorate the board.

My preference is for a minion doing a moony, but if anyone else has any ideas ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
So, after talking about it for well over a year my inlaws, who are in their eighties, decided during a near total lockdown that they wanted a new computer and it needed to have Windows 10 on it. So I was asked to give them ideas to suit their needs and budget and they selected the one they wanted. Thuis, of course meant, I was now tasked to setup the new machine, transfer all the existing data from the old one and then install it, while keeping social distancing. Well I have just managed to do that and the only problem I had was they decided not to replace their monitor which was VGA only, the new machine was DVI and the socket on the monitor was so tight there was no room for any sort of conversion. The old monitor was out of date about 10 years ago when it was pressed into service on a new machine on the last upgrade. Happily I had an old monitor kicking around that would do the job so problem solved. So now all I have to do is sit back and wait for the new to Windows 10 support calls. I am also wondering as to how long it will take them to miss the dvd drive that the new PC is not equipped with.

With that project gone I can now return to another of my own and that is changing the garage use. For the past three years or more it has been the dumping ground as we decluttered and decorated and revamped each room in the house. As fast as it was cleared after each project it filled with all the clutter from the next. The one thing it cannot be used as is a garage, as I live in a modest house on the outskirts of large town in the UK and I think it was designed to house a city car. My old Honda Civic was a very tight squeeze if you drove the car in and expected to get out of the car after doing so. Now that the family transport is a Honda CRV the idea of putting that in the garage is a complete non starter. So the new use for it, remembering that we are still in virtual lockdown due to covid 19, is a proper man/boys cave. Pride of place is going to a gaming rig which includes a full racing seat, force feedback steering wheel and pedals, XBox console, speaker system and gaming monitor. Then there is going to be a well equipped work bench for modelling purposes and the provision of a fridge for the obviously necessary supply of snacks and drinks. So far the place is heated, the fridge exists and so does the gaming rig with a modest monitor to be changed out for a larger one as soon as it is delivered.

All of this progress is almost certainly down to the virus which has given me not only the time but has suppressed many of the other distractions which would normally have delayed such progress.

When the graphics card fried itself on this (older) machine, I couldn't afford anything new.
So I bought a bunch of secondhand ones from CEX online.
Found 2 that worked, took the rest back to store and they instantly refunded the remainder back to paypal.

When the monitor broke, and new was the only choice, like yourself found that only had DVI and HDMI.
So back to CEX to get a DVI card and some online window shopping for a new PC.
Noticing these don't have DVR's anymore.

I am also wondering as to how long it will take them to miss the dvd drive that the new PC is not equipped with.

That's easily fixed, get something like this: LiteOn eBAU108-11 (6) External DVD RW.
That one's now a bit pricey (it connects to TV's as well) but there are cheaper ones out there.

Also like what you've done with your garage, which sounds like it's attached to your house.
Ours isn't, we live in a flat and the garages are in front of the block.

Oddly, as ours has a backdoor, it couldn't be rented out,
So originally residents used it as a general 'area', until our landlord said residents had to pay.

Hence one lady rented and everyone else chipped in, though over time less people wanted to use it.
So to save the lady the hassle, I took on that side of it and didn't ask anyone to chip in.
The idea being to keep it as a resource for everyone, but the useage didn't revert back.

I'd also got into community arts, so over time the idea of a workshop slowly came together.
Which is what it now, and as my earlier post is now used from anything from a bike repair to making furniture.
It's something I'm pleased has happened, especially now with the bug.

Where it's now a little hub for everyone, and if nothing else certainly me sane over the last few months.
I also see more garage renters are starting to do similar things with theirs.
It's kinda become quite a friendly makers area and I hope it'll stay that way afterwards.

Hornet3d

Wise
When the graphics card fried itself on this (older) machine, I couldn't afford anything new.
So I bought a bunch of secondhand ones from CEX online.
Found 2 that worked, took the rest back to store and they instantly refunded the remainder back to paypal.

When the monitor broke, and new was the only choice, like yourself found that only had DVI and HDMI.
So back to CEX to get a DVI card and some online window shopping for a new PC.
Noticing these don't have DVR's anymore.

I am also wondering as to how long it will take them to miss the dvd drive that the new PC is not equipped with.

That's easily fixed, get something like this: LiteOn eBAU108-11 (6) External DVD RW.
That one's now a bit pricey (it connects to TV's as well) but there are cheaper ones out there.

Also like what you've done with your garage, which sounds like it's attached to your house.
Ours isn't, we live in a flat and the garages are in front of the block.

Oddly, as ours has a backdoor, it couldn't be rented out,
So originally residents used it as a general 'area', until our landlord said residents had to pay.

Hence one lady rented and everyone else chipped in, though over time less people wanted to use it.
So to save the lady the hassle, I took on that side of it and didn't ask anyone to chip in.
The idea being to keep it as a resource for everyone, but the useage didn't revert back.

I'd also got into community arts, so over time the idea of a workshop slowly came together.
Which is what it now, and as my earlier post is now used from anything from a bike repair to making furniture.
It's something I'm pleased has happened, especially now with the bug.

Where it's now a little hub for everyone, and if nothing else certainly me sane over the last few months.
I also see more garage renters are starting to do similar things with theirs.
It's kinda become quite a friendly makers area and I hope it'll stay that way afterwards.

To be honest I don't think that my in laws will notice the lack of the DVD drive and when they do, as you suggest, it is easily solved and I think I could find such a drive hanging around the house that I could let them have. My days of computer building are over and, while I am confident I still could, I just would rather leave it to others, so the they purchased a ready built system and thus adding a graphics card would void any warranty.

The reason for their upgrade is interesting though, while the old system still worked it ran Windows XP but still did everything they wanted it to until recently when their bank decided that it would no longer support online banking using XP. When they announced this a few months prior they stated that they would still support Windows 7 but suggested that support for that was also probably be dropped in the near future and thus recommended using Windows 10. Upgrading their old machine to Windows 10 would cost over £100 here in the UK but just how successful that would be was not clear and it would still leave them with hardware that was over 10 years old. Sadly for them the lockdown resulted in a future holiday being cancelled but it also meant they were due a refund and thus could afford a new computer. Now I can well understand why the bank made the decision on what they would support with their online banking service but, as they were reluctant to supply paper bank statements even at the rate of once a month, the in laws were sort of gently pressured into the upgrade. This at a time when they are shutting branches at an alarming rate, and that was before the virus, will no doubt the increase during this period. I am just very aware how many without a computer are being left behind and how that is now being added to by those who have a computer but cannot keep up with the rate of change.

The garage is indeed part of the house being built as what we call 'linked detached' where the houses would be detached other than the fact that they are linked by the garages. Many owners that are on the end of a row have built over the garage thus adding a further room to the house. In addition to the garage door at the front there is access from inside the house via a standard door. The downside of this is that noise in the garage is easily transmitted to the house next door but this is negated somewhat by the use of a decent set of headphones. The upside is that noise is less of an issue upstairs where the house are separated by the width of the garage which explains why my cinema system is upstairs not down.

Are really do applaud you as to the use of your garage even before the pandemic but I respect it a lot more under the new conditions.

Hornet3d

Wise
Bet my car would fit in your garage!

To be honest the only reason we have such a big car is so we can take the in laws out for the day and take the dog with us at the same time depending on where we were going, or at least we could before the lock down. Other than that we would probably just have a small city runabout, but, that said, I can foresee a change in the not too distant future as we all age. Both my inlaws are in their eighties and the dog is over that in dog years, I am now old enough to qualify for a free bus pass reducing the need for a car somewhat. With all this in mind I can foresee a day when I will hang up my car keys for good, when is really dependant on where life goes from here.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I just encountered "linked detached" a day or so ago in a cozy I was reading. Of course, having never heard the term before, I looked it up. So ... I actually knew what you meant by linked detached.

Since it's just me, and I absolutely get frustrated by people who can't park in the middle of a parking spot, I was thrilled when I was able to afford my Prius C. It saddens me greatly that Toyota is discontinuing the Prius C in favor of the Corolla hybrid. I absolutely hated my Corolla, which was the car I drove for a few years between my 21 year old Camry and my 2013 Prius C. Even worse, the Corolla only got 19 mpg ... which is what my ancient Camry got! Seriously ... NINETEEN MPG? I know my 7 mile commute is bad, but no way a Corolla should have been getting mileage that bad.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I just encountered "linked detached" a day or so ago in a cozy I was reading. Of course, having never heard the term before, I looked it up. So ... I actually knew what you meant by linked detached.

Since it's just me, and I absolutely get frustrated by people who can't park in the middle of a parking spot, I was thrilled when I was able to afford my Prius C. It saddens me greatly that Toyota is discontinuing the Prius C in favor of the Corolla hybrid. I absolutely hated my Corolla, which was the car I drove for a few years between my 21 year old Camry and my 2013 Prius C. Even worse, the Corolla only got 19 mpg ... which is what my ancient Camry got! Seriously ... NINETEEN MPG? I know my 7 mile commute is bad, but no way a Corolla should have been getting mileage that bad.

Was there a lot of stop and go? I got better mileage than that with my 2003 Camry XLE (6 cylinder with high performance goodies) when driving to Needham, which is Greater Boston area and off Rt. 128! In other words, often a parking lot! It had 3 lanes but during rush hour (a misnomer for sure) the breakdown lane was open to traffic. (Nightmare if someone actually broke down!)

7 mile commute? I had a 40 mile commute! On a good day, it took at least an hour. One accident and that turned into 1.5 hours, 2 hours, or worse. During off hours, I could make the trip in 40 minutes easily.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
Was there a lot of stop and go? I got better mileage than that with my 2003 Camry XLE (6 cylinder with high performance goodies) when driving to Needham, which is Greater Boston area and off Rt. 128! In other words, often a parking lot! It had 3 lanes but during rush hour (a misnomer for sure) the breakdown lane was open to traffic. (Nightmare if someone actually broke down!)

7 mile commute? I had a 40 mile commute! On a good day, it took at least an hour. One accident and that turned into 1.5 hours, 2 hours, or worse. During off hours, I could make the trip in 40 minutes easily.

Dana

My commute used to be close to 60 miles, almost all motorway so it took about the hour.... sometimes. Snag was it was close to Heathrow Airport so traffic was heavy and accidents were frequent. Toward the end of my employment with the company I was able to work from home a lot. They finally made me redundant when the company was taken over by a French company........sorry forgot the official line was it a merger it was just all the people made redundant were in the UK. I took the opportunity to downshift and work locally, which was second best thing I ever did, marrying my wife was of course the best move. Strangely I was offered my job back some two years later, I said I would have to think about it, so I did for a whole five minutes and then I told them just where they could stick their offer, one of the most pleasurable memories I have. Fifteen years later I still know it was the right decision, I might have been better off financially but I would be poorer in every other sense.

Hornet3d

Wise
So this is very much a work in progress, the monitor shield needs to be cleaned up and then painted. Manual shifter needs to be installed and the garage needs to be decluttered a lot to make it more a play room than a work room.

WIP .jpg

Cabling is all under the floor both for cosmetic and safety reasons, I can fall over a lot easier these days without cables to help me.

McGyver

Energetic
@Hornet3d...
Thats pretty cool.
I‘d put wheels on it, so I could play while riding downhill to add to the simulator experience.
But I’m really stupid.
Please don’t ever, ever, ever do anything I suggest.
My googly eyes also noticed the siding on the left with some G-scale looking rolling stock... does this indicate a garden railroad?

McGyver

Energetic
Say hello to Baby Possum... Currently our low budget substitute for Baby Yoda...

0A7D6BAD-85C9-4D65-99B6-844EBEA49EC2.jpeg

Baby Possum, who has been named “Spike” by my daughters has been hanging around lately and today he tentatively introduced himself (or herself)... We don’t know if Spike is an orphan, lost, or just striking out on his own... either way we threw together a little possum bunker for Spike to hang out and eat ham in... Spike spent a few hours in there but eventually wandered off.
We don’t want to adopt him, in case his mom is around, she’s probably better at raising possums than I am... (also, I’m a terrible influence on most mammals, some reptiles and at least three birds)... but we want him to have a little safe area in case he’s prematurely on his own. I’d be fine with a possum friend... ever since the neighbor’s cat moved away, I have no one to drink beer with... yeah, the raccoons are okay, but they never bring their own beer.
Hopefully he (or she) shows up again.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d...
Thats pretty cool.
I‘d put wheels on it, so I could play while riding downhill to add to the simulator experience.
But I’m really stupid.
Please don’t ever, ever, ever do anything I suggest.
My googly eyes also noticed the siding on the left with some G-scale looking rolling stock... does this indicate a garden railroad?

Well spotted, yes that is garden railway rolling stock and I did have a large layout up until a couple of years ago when we added a summerhouse and revamped the garden. There are plans to reinstate the railway but in the longer term, in the short term there is a plan to have a shunting type test layout in the garage. Many years ago the layout in the garden was originally a Lehman's Gross Bann (LGB) setup with electrical decoders but the five years before the garden revamp all the motive power was via radio controlled live steam, with the exception of a radio controlled shunter, giving the gorgeous smell of steam and hot oil.

The garden layout in better times ( posed to show of the stable of engines so no engines were damaged or injured in the taking of this photo).

Railway HW.jpg

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It wasn't so much stop and go as ... creep, creep, creep on the last 2-3 miles of my morning commute or sit, sit, sit through a dozen light cycles at blocked intersections.

I don't know if the Corolla was a bad year (2009) or if that particular Corolla had problems. It was pre-owned, and had cigarette burns on the inside of the driver's door, which always irritated me. While I understand new cars lose a lot of value the minute you drive them off the lot, I know my car's history when I purchase it new. Who knows how else the previous owners had abused that Corolla.

With the Prius C, I can get 50+ mpg driving that same commute, except those days when traffic is massively congested (like the first month or so after school starts). I always get worse mileage on my evening commute because it takes a mile or two before the car switches to EV Mode. Of course, that's the most congested part of my commute. Most days, I average about 5 or 7 mph.

I'm so not looking forward to working in the office again. It's been so cool to be able to jump onto the computer and be at work within 15 minutes of the alarm going off EVERY day. Instead of just two days a week. Tsuki is going to be so lost when I have to start leaving her alone three days a week again. While a lot of pets seem to be unsettled with having everyone home all the time, she seems to be enjoying it. Now she can pester me all day long, every day, while I'm at the computer working instead of only Thursday and Friday.

Downside is that it's a lot more exhausting working from home, and I've not had the energy to work on my clothing set for Dusk. I just can't bear to sit at the computer very often after ending the work day. Upside is that I have read SOOO many books on my Fire. For some reason, the shows I normally enjoy just bore me to tears right now, so I've been reading instead of watching.

McGyver

Energetic
Well spotted, yes that is garden railway rolling stock and I did have a large layout up until a couple of years ago when we added a summerhouse and revamped the garden. There are plans to reinstate the railway but in the longer term, in the short term there is a plan to have a shunting type test layout in the garage. Many years ago the layout in the garden was originally a Lehman's Gross Bann (LGB) setup with electrical decoders but the five years before the garden revamp all the motive power was via radio controlled live steam, with the exception of a radio controlled shunter, giving the gorgeous smell of steam and hot oil.

The garden layout in better times ( posed to show of the stable of engines so no engines were damaged or injured in the taking of this photo).
Live steam is impressive. I never owned any live steam engines, but I built a tiny live steam narrow gauge mining locomotive that was probably a Shay of some sort for a client a long time ago. Learned a lot, but it was not a fun time because the kit was very wonky with a lot of ill fitting parts.

At one point I used to have a large layout in my yard, but it was more of photo set to showcase some of the scale modeling I did... it was “diverse“... the whole thing was “G-scale“... but in reality, aside from the train tracks it was actually 1/25-1/24 scale (architectural “H“ scale)... Having made a lot of stuff in H scale for architectural models and court room models (before CGI caught on it wasn’t unusual to use scale models to demonstrate an accident or scene) I had tons of resin cast details and assorted molds to use.
The whole thing was crazy... there were lighted cast stone building, street lights, a working storm drain/sewer system, paved roads for 1/24 scale R/C cars (with scale asphalt, which was stupid hard to maintain), a working fire hydrant (which I only used once, because it was too delicate), working waterfalls, a scale forest... the whole thing was built up on a hollow structure with sculpted concrete cliff faces and natural looking stonework... since it was hollow there were actually subterranean details for any of the access areas for lighting or the irrigation lines...

7C22911B-C2E1-4D1E-B75E-1BF80BE44CCA.jpeg

FF17E377-DDE8-4E32-9958-B1DAE604F594.jpeg

0CD6D673-00E9-4580-95AB-548A0942A1C6.jpeg
3513B1D3-DDFF-4E42-B78D-3EA850FAD558.jpeg
08E90B71-94FC-43BB-8C1A-100F8A40466C.jpeg

The whole thing took about two years to build, working in my spare time and had footprint of around a 20 x 25 feet...
It lasted about 10 years before the top of tree fell on it (actually the neighbor’s contractor was responsible for that).
The main section took internal structural damage and I was never able to successfully maintain waterproofing and eventually there was significant structural rot... between the nor’easters, animal damage, a miniature forest fire, insect pests, a drought and the need for constant maintenance, it became too much to keep up with and when my daughters were born it fell into disrepair.
Not too bad at first, but before I knew it, ten years passed and it was in serious need of repair... I started to fix it up, or at least stabilize it, but last summer a violent storm dropped a huge oak tree right in the middle of it, obliterating at least 70% of it...
I was kinda bummed out, but when I started to remove the debris I realized it was in far worse shape structurally than was evident.
Oh well... it had a nice run.

Hornet3d

Wise
Live steam is impressive. I never owned any live steam engines, but I built a tiny live steam narrow gauge mining locomotive that was probably a Shay of some sort for a client a long time ago. Learned a lot, but it was not a fun time because the kit was very wonky with a lot of ill fitting parts.

At one point I used to have a large layout in my yard, but it was more of photo set to showcase some of the scale modeling I did... it was “diverse“... the whole thing was “G-scale“... but in reality, aside from the train tracks it was actually 1/25-1/24 scale (architectural “H“ scale)... Having made a lot of stuff in H scale for architectural models and court room models (before CGI caught on it wasn’t unusual to use scale models to demonstrate an accident or scene) I had tons of resin cast details and assorted molds to use.
The whole thing was crazy... there were lighted cast stone building, street lights, a working storm drain/sewer system, paved roads for 1/24 scale R/C cars (with scale asphalt, which was stupid hard to maintain), a working fire hydrant (which I only used once, because it was too delicate), working waterfalls, a scale forest... the whole thing was built up on a hollow structure with sculpted concrete cliff faces and natural looking stonework... since it was hollow there were actually subterranean details for any of the access areas for lighting or the irrigation lines...

View attachment 60160
View attachment 60161

View attachment 60162View attachment 60163View attachment 60164
The whole thing took about two years to build, working in my spare time and had footprint of around a 20 x 25 feet...
It lasted about 10 years before the top of tree fell on it (actually the neighbor’s contractor was responsible for that).
The main section took internal structural damage and I was never able to successfully maintain waterproofing and eventually there was significant structural rot... between the nor’easters, animal damage, a miniature forest fire, insect pests, a drought and the need for constant maintenance, it became too much to keep up with and when my daughters were born it fell into disrepair.
Not too bad at first, but before I knew it, ten years passed and it was in serious need of repair... I started to fix it up, or at least stabilize it, but last summer a violent storm dropped a huge oak tree right in the middle of it, obliterating at least 70% of it...
I was kinda bummed out, but when I started to remove the debris I realized it was in far worse shape structurally than was evident.

Now that is impressive and it is really sad it came to an end in the way it did. It must of been over thirty five years ago I laid my first track but then I had to work abroad for a couple of years and I returned to find that nature had dealt the track a savage blow and most of the track was twisted as the earth had moved so badly. It was rebuilt but this time I sank some curb stones into the earth first. They were approximately six foot long eighteen inches wide and about two inches thick and took at least two people to lift them, so such a task would be out of the question under today's restrictions. They were laid face down so I had and stable area to lay the track on. It was hard work at the time but it worked and the track stayed flat in fact there is still some in the garden that have been there for over twenty years.

It was sad when I had to remove some track to get the summerhouse in and while that has been a real bonus in the lockdown I am really missing the running trains now we are confined to the house and garden so much.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wait, wait, wait!

None of these are actual building/trains/cars ... with like ... real people?

These pictures are all of wee little (or maybe not so little) models?

Only the two women in the last photo who are in front of the market look like they aren't exactly living, breathing women.

You had a miniature forest fire?!? Now that's realism!

View attachment 60160
View attachment 60161

View attachment 60162View attachment 60163View attachment 60164