• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fantasy Textures and ideas for Harry

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Very Nice!

Going for a little hippocampus maybe?
I've also been experimenting with a little something something. This is actually a texture.
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Scales2 copy.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Looks interesting NA but I would like to see smaller scales...at the moment it looks a little big. I like the size the shader did...something like that with smaller scales would most likely be an instant buy.

He does look a bit like a golden statue...I think if it was adjusted so it looked like water glistening off the scales it would be good. I wish I had the skills to do something like this.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Small scales like a snake skin would be an interesting shader, though not necessarily the colors of snake skins. I like the size of the scales your render produced Pen. That's a good size.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh the size of those scales are nice. Are the zebra-like stripes painted on in postwork? Interesting look.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Love that one NA...the scales look like the right size. The other looks interesting but it needs the scales to be smaller and it would need displacement or a normal map. Which I can see you have something applied on the legs of the horse but it isn't as noticeable on the body.
Small scales like a snake skin would be an interesting shader, though not necessarily the colors of snake skins. I like the size of the scales your render produced Pen. That's a good size.

Yeah...it's just nice. I would like a texture that was like mermaid scales and iridescent...I don't won't much do I? lol...It would be nice though.

Love the Zebra...

Miss B

CV-BEE
I would like a texture that was like mermaid scales and iridescent...I don't won't much do I? lol...It would be nice though.
Hey it's good to want things. ;) I do like the idea of iridescent scales.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Actually wouldn't be that hard to make it iridescent in PS the transfer to 3d would be where the shaders would come into play most likely your spec and ambient settings.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
OK, need help, well inspiration really! :p

I loved this when I first set it up but because my computer sucks big time it wouldn't render with the background I had, so I had to make it as simple as possible.

Now I've lost inspiration because it looks nothing like I envisioned, or how it looked before I had to start taking things out and changing shaders etc.

I haven't really done postwork before (except to add a mane or add stock images as backgrounds etc), I know it needs grass strands added, especially around the foal on its back etc, but have no idea where to start :(

Just probably going to abandon it, but thought I'd ask for suggestions :)

View attachment 2565
(thumbnail, click to view larger)

You know you can render in sections....Render some of the horses...except the front ones...hide them by clicking the eye in your scene tab...and hide the background the same...when your horses have rendered then hide them and render the horses you haven't....then hide and render the background...you can do this until you get your complete full picture...then using your paint program add all the layers and merge into one...and Hey Presto you full render!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
yep although you could do it just in the shader...specular and also I would think reflection and refraction with maybe an edgeblend node. at least in shader mixer. That's what this one basically was from memory. Mind you the bricks in shader mixer have been changed since I did this. I was working on trying to create an iridescent satin fabric. The colours move with the light. It would be nice to have a texture with these sort of mat settings for Harry...
frilled dress opalascent front.jpg

frilled dress opalascent side view.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Yes it would!! Then you would have to convert it to Poser. Can you change the color options? Just curious.

Ooh I need to try that Technique btw Sanbie!! I usually just port in the background from Vue and then render. Absolutely need to try that at some point!!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Well, I could probably lay down the scales texture for you if you wanted to work a little iridescent magic! Although, it would be neat to have it all done as a shader. Which sort of gives me a neat idea for some textures on Sanbie's new outfit.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You would need to have a scale map to get the scales place properly...just a seamless tile wouldn't cut it. Something to think about...but I have to finish Diva first...with going into school the last couple of days I've been procrastinating when I get home and just vegging.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You know you can render in sections....Render some of the horses...except the front ones...hide them by clicking the eye in your scene tab...and hide the background the same...when your horses have rendered then hide them and render the horses you haven't....then hide and render the background...you can do this until you get your complete full picture...then using your paint program add all the layers and merge into one...and Hey Presto you full render!
Yeah, I do do this on occasion, but normally still with the background to get the shadows right. I guess I'll have to play :)

Hey Pen, I love what you did with the start of the Hippy :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If my mind will stay focused I might get this one ready for the testers soon.
I finished the Poser set and was ready to zip it all when I discovered I forgot to do the DS set. :(

So maybe tomorrow I can get to that.

It will have only two texture sets instead of multiple.
It was originally three but I decided to not do the Strawberry Roan yet.
It still needs work because it does not look right.
Maybe it would be best to forget it and think on something else.

After this pack of horse textures I will be working on updating some other files fropm CP.

And maybe CWRW will add some new horse sets, hers are always beautiful. :)