• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dusk 2 Underway

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
My one concern is along the lines of what Cath was observing. I'd actually soften up the nose a bit, the bridge is quite something! It can be softened with morphs but folks will judge the base, you know how people are regardless of the platform (Poser or DAZ Studio). If they don't like the face they won't like the figure. An androgynous but masculine face would be better, in my humble opinion! Too strong of lines may cause this sort of critique from the community!

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
My one concern is along the lines of what Cath was observing. I'd actually soften up the nose a bit, the bridge is quite something! It can be softened with morphs but folks will judge the base, you know how people are regardless of the platform (Poser or DAZ Studio). If they don't like the face they won't like the figure. An androgynous but masculine face would be better, in my humble opinion! Too strong of lines may cause this sort of critique from the community!
Richard, they going to judge no matter what, they judged V and M and also G base , you can't make the world happy , spoiler alert : trust me they gonna like it soon regardless . His feminine side is around the mouth , masculine male facial muscles around the mouth are slightly more prominent and teeth are much wider like that " C " compared to female " U " I was doing realistic wax sculpting prosthetics prototypes for my client last year using golden ratio proportions, it was very interesting journey . Dusk 2 face base reminds me of Randy Rainbow the Jewish comedian and singer.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
@MEC4D, Rich beat me to it. He posts them on Facebook a lot! He is so talented! Have you seen the tiny portaits he paints, usually the size of a US dime? It's incredible, the detail he gets into such a tiny "canvas".

Dana
that's another level , beautifully done , Chris is a wonderful artist , I still remember his chicken house wall paintings and many other artworks

@RAMWolff thanks Richard

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
As to the default shape of Dusk. I do believe his has a more generic look about him while still looking like a second version of Dusk. From the default shape face I've removed or lessened features that might be perceived as too strong. I personally think the default look is pleasing. I must say too that textures can show so much on a mesh. For example the Dusk S.E. maps created by Virtual World added a lot to that product. He appeared to be a different person from her maps than what I was seeing in the mesh alone. I say look to the maps to come to further develop the base look for Dusk 2.

What we really must have in a base mesh is the topology layout to be something that can be built on and pushed in several directions.

Perhaps during the product renders if other shapes and looks are shown as well as just the default look, this might, just might give customers ideas past the default look. For example when we made Dusk S.E. available for Reallusion"s iClone and Character Creator 3, they wanted to present yet another default look using some facial morphs that would appeal to there audience. Lisa and I liked what they worked up and were excited to present Dusk S.E. in such a way.

CC3DuskSE.JPG

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Absolutely! The texture makes a huge difference in how the mesh is perceived. While I loved the original Dawn, I didn't feel the original textures presented Dawn in the best light.

While Dawn SE was definitely an improvement over the original Dawn, the textures for Dawn SE definitely enhanced those improvements. Out of the box, she was perfect. Well, unless you're me. But that's because I'm drawn to characters a bit less conventionally beautiful and a bit more ... weird.

It's a great idea to present Dusk 2.0 (as well as Dawn 2.0) with other "shapes and looks" rather than just the default look. Sometimes it's hard to visualize the potential of a figure, which may be why some have a hard time getting past how much they dislike the look of the default figure.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Here we have Dusk 2 in a default A Pose requested by MEC4D.

Shown with comparisons to the T Pose.

View attachment 66826
Wow you actually made his face more masculine by removing the prominent features , looking very good and balanced as a base now , it going to be easier for people to add features using morphs and much easier for 3D texturing with less distractions on the angles .
Great job !
The base topology are our canvases and it is well done from the start.
Thank you for the A pose @Chris , very excited for the new productions , now I can work on matching couple characters

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Here 2 more shots with test face , just warming up for the future ;) Dusk2 the Barbarian lol I am hungry for some Conan style character and outfit and of course Red Sonia !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-18 173251.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-18 173251.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot 2021-01-18 173344.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-18 173344.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot 2021-01-18 173506.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-18 173506.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 208

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Oh Cath, I'm loving the first screenshot you posted right above. Looking very good! ;)

Looking good Cath!
Thank you Miss B and Pendraia , it was just a test to show how well the base topology works, and it much easier to work with than any other I ever did ,why? because the proportions matching exactly real human face proportions and it is easier to manipulate. I plan to make 4 full dressed characters for Dusk2 with 4 different ethnicity each to matching the Dawn2 4 ladies after. When I am ready with it I will open new tread to share the actual work in progress but for now working first with Dawn2 4 sets as she is going to be released first. Thanks to @Chris wonderful base modeling work, we going to have something on another level this season , so excited !

now I am sorry for this little interruption of this tread , over to Chris :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Cath, this is terrific to see what you have coming. Glad to hear that our Dusk 2 base and topology are working well for you. Yes!!

Thanks for sharing. Looks awesome!!
Thank you very much Chris ! really great job on the base and human proportions, yes I measured the limbs ratio with golden proportions , including the base face lol it matched perfectly. I love to see a good old school base work as that is most important and expiring for me.