• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dusk 2 Underway

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
We've had Dusk 2 in the works for several months now, but it seemed too early to be posting anything, seeing that Dawn 2 is not quite ready for beta. She needs to get in the hands of a broader audience of artists to start creating for her soon. When Dawn 2 is beta ready has been the trigger for starting a Dusk 2 thread. But... because of the serious health challenges that Lisa is currently struggling with, I want to share what I think can be a bright spot and hopefully a light to start the new year for HiveWire. So with a bright spot being the impetus for beginning this new thread, here goes. We simply need to keep moving forward!!

Dusk 2 has begun, and as usual we will be sharing screen grabs along the way. Our intention is not to make Dusk 2 a two year project as Dawn 2 will be this coming March. So sorry for the tremendous delay for her. We are adding in a bunch of bells and whistles for Dawn 2, but perhaps we can release Dusk 2 in stages with smaller morph packs with a solid base.

As to the Dusk 2 base figure, it shares the same newly improved pure quad mesh that I've created for Dawn 2. The newly created Dawn 2 UVs will also be the same for Dusk 2, so those are done already.

As with Dawn 2 we have a Dawn S.E. morph. Dusk 2 also has a Dusk S.E. morph. The default body shape and position is very similar to that of Dusk S.E. Dusk 2 has a smoother shape. I've made this arms, shoulders and traps a bit smaller. I've made improvements on his abs, pelvis and hip area. His natal cleft shape is improved at the top of the sacrum level and is more natural. His crotch area is smaller at default and will be easier to work with as a content creator. His facial features are softer. His nose, brows, jawline and chin are less pronounced and will work better as a default shape. His lips are also not as full. Other subtle features have been tweaked.

Here are some first looks at our new Dusk 2. We're excited to share him with you, and by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all from HiveWire 3D.

Dusk1.JPG

Dusk1a.JPG

Dusk2.JPG

Dusk3.JPG

Dusk6.JPG

Dusk7.JPG

Dusk8.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
A few full body morphs too.

Grateful to a few artists such as Ken 1171 and kobaltkween that strongly requested we have a mesh that can support abdominal and torso muscle shaping with the default mesh. Although this was difficult to figure out how to create, it is paying off for body shaping.

Dusk11.JPG

Dusk12.JPG

Dusk13.JPG

Dusk14.JPG

Dusk17.JPG

randym77

Motivated
Exciting! I hope you'll include a morph to make him not as bulky. The original Dusk was a bit too big and bulky for my taste.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, I know it's not really lipstick on his lips Chris, but in the first group of renders, he almost looks like he's Dawn. ;)
I have this impression too. His body morphs are awesome, but his face is in my POV to feminin. More like Dawn.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, I know it's not really lipstick on his lips Chris, but in the first group of renders, he almost looks like he's Dawn. ;)
I have this impression too. His body morphs are awesome, but his face is in my POV to feminin. More like Dawn.
I know textures can make a huge difference (same as makeup can in real life) but I too find that his face looks feminine (but I can't put my finger on what it is)

DanaTA

Distinguished
I agree with these comments. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's the impression I get. I also had this issue with the original Dusk. I just can't figure out why it looks like this to me. Maybe it's an illusion, caused by those eyelashes. But the lips look a bit feminine, too.

Otherwise, looks great so far!

Dana

Lissa_xyz

I break polygons.
IIRC I had the same feeling with the first Dusk, he looked like Dawn's brother. He's built off her mesh, isn't he?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks Chris, as these renders make a world of difference now that we can "see" the actual difference between Dusk 2, Dusk SE and Dawn 2. Oh, and yes, leaving the texture/color of the eyelashes and lips the same as the skin does make a huge difference as well. ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Thanks Chris, as these renders make a world of difference now that we can "see" the actual difference between Dusk 2, Dusk SE and Dawn 2. Oh, and yes, leaving the texture/color of the eyelashes and lips the same as the skin does make a huge difference as well. ;)

EXCELLENT!

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
@Chris I am on the point of my knowledge where I do care mostly about the good topology of the model and it looks good, the rest really no matter, however there is an area on the face around the mouth that have specific fingerprint what make them both looking like a siblings , the digital DNA , please don't get offended , love the typology , you can make a lot of stuff from that and that's what counts for me as I care less about the base look. I am afraid the community will not like that stylised face too much, too close to Dawn 1

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
however there is an area on the face around the mouth that have specific fingerprint what make them both looking like a siblings , the digital DNA

If I remember correctly, Dusk was created from Dawn, so that explains (to me, at least) why there seems to be a sibling type of appearance between the two figure bases. I personally don't mind that at all, but then I spin pretty much every dial I can get my hands on (and I am notorious about spinning well beyond the set "limits" of a dial's range), so by the time I'm done morphing them for a render, they often don't even look like Dawn or Dusk at all. LOL

I do think that folks who do a lot less dial-spinning on their figures might share your feelings about the digital DNA showing through. But to me, it just makes sense for that to be there since one was created from the other. I feel that it's up to the end user to make the face "their own" when creating a render, but the more stylized a figure's base "face" is, the harder that is to do for the casual user, I suppose.

Here are some first looks at our new Dusk 2. We're excited to share him with you, and by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all from HiveWire 3D.

He looks to be off to a great start, Chris! May I make a request, since it's still so early in his development? One of the things that have always bugged me about Dusk's shape is the indent at the waist. He has such a narrowing at the waist that it gives him almost a feminine hourglass figure. One of the first things I do with almost every Dusk character I make, is to try to widen that hourglass a bit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The very specific area I'm talking about is just above the navel, where the waist curves inward (and where love handles develop).

I think he's looking off to a wonderful start, though. Thanks for giving us a sneak peak at him a little bit early. ^_^ So far, I'm liking everything else about him here. I like the softer look for his base shape very much, too.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
the more stylized a figure's base "face" is, the harder that is to do for the casual user, I suppose.
That's what I mean exactly, not that I have problem with it, the topology is wonderful , it can be modeled ( morphed) into anything without leaving a trace of the original digital DNA if anybody only want it . It is going to be a very creative season

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's what I mean exactly, not that I have problem with it, the topology is wonderful , it can be modeled ( morphed) into anything without leaving a trace of the original digital DNA if anybody only want it . It is going to be a very creative season

Oops. My apologies for my misunderstanding then. Sorry! I understand now. :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Oops. My apologies for my misunderstanding then. Sorry! I understand now. :)
No problem , if I had really complainings that would be more on the technical side, but so far not encountered any. Well constructed base topology is the key for success , as I am working already with Dawn2 , it is like sculpting a butter at a room temperature , very smooth and playable lol , each polygon's edge has a purpose, I am delighted . I hope the rigging will reflect all the aspects of the base topology , the rest is just our unlimited imagination.