• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Discussion about content

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It is not even that some are not good in rendering , but I see so many slugish promos with poke trough and levitating character that it really wonder me if they oversee it, or that they just don't care about and post it anyway. Both is worst. Attention to detail when you sell a product is essential. How should you convince people that your product is good when you show such fatal errors?
BTW, I hate making promos too.

Fair enough. I just thought some people lack the critical eye to realize there was a pokethru, or that the character is levitating. When I taught the art of origami, the simple task of folding the paper in a diagonal has proven to be a challenge. It is not that they didn't have the ability, but most didn't care if the fold was exactly on the diagonal, or anywhere in the vicinity - if you know what I mean. I said it has to be precise, or the model will not look pretty. To them, even half an inch away from the diagonal was "precise", and they would get mad on me for saying otherwise. When the model came out misshaped, they still blame me for not teaching properly, and quickly lost interest. They said I was being picky.

From that, I have learn it may not be possible to teach the meaning of "precise" to some people. Either they "get it", or they don't. That doesn't mean they cannot be artists, but the results might be affected by that difference in perception.

I agree. When she was released , short before RDNA collapse , I bought textures for her .Merchant ressource . Want to make for her a couple of unique textures. Fantasy, Sci Fi. Because she was lacking really good textures. There was something "Generic" in it. You are right.

I didn't like Dawn's original texture, but at the same time, I didn't like V4 in the purple bikini either. When Transformer came out, I have quickly converted a bunch of V4 textures to Dawn, and all was good again. However, I have observed a considerable backslash on Dawn because of the texture - as if people didn't have the ability to load a different one. V4 had a horrible default texture, and I don't think anybody has ever used that in renders, but with Dawn it was treated as an incurable disease. People have also claimed Dawn's chin was too masculine - but look at this - the moment I posted a render with a different texture, that opinion has vanished. I think these observations are kind of revealing.

I don't really listen to "critics" anymore. I remember when the movie "Beetlejuice" came out. Critics panned it. Including Siskel and Ebert, who I liked. Nut I had gone to see the movie already and I loved it. Same thing currently with Batwoman. I admit it's not the best show on TV, but it's no where near the "dumpster fire" everyone's calling it.

Haha "dumpster fire" sounds so funny. :roflmao: My wife and I have watched Batwoman, but we couldn't get passed the 2nd episode. Too much political propaganda, up to the point of interfering with the story. Bruce has a sister nobody ever heard of. And she had a Chinese sister, and dated a black woman, and they were all lesbians. The constant battering and belittlering of [white] men was tiresome. The protagonist was also a Mary Jane who could effortlessly beat up men 3 times her size. At least Bruce had to put up some mass and training before he could do the same. That girl was tiny, which removes any chance of believability. Bruce was not a superhero - so he had to earn it. But the Kate character seems superficial and unconvincing. If she is a woman, that dispenses any effort to develop the character, which just automatically puts her in a position of power - again, tiresome political propaganda. To us, that just ruins everything. Feels like we were not watching a TV series, but instead being convinced of a political stance. Is it too much to ask for a good story and character development?

eclark1894

Visionary
Fair enough. I just thought some people lack the critical eye to realize there was a pokethru, or that the character is levitating. When I taught the art of origami, the simple task of folding the paper in a diagonal has proven to be a challenge. It is not that they didn't have the ability, but most didn't care if the fold was exactly on the diagonal, or anywhere in the vicinity - if you know what I mean. I said it has to be precise, or the model will not look pretty. To them, even half an inch away from the diagonal was "precise", and they would get mad on me for saying otherwise. When the model came out misshaped, they still blame me for not teaching properly, and quickly lost interest. They said I was being picky.

From that, I have learn it may not be possible to teach the meaning of "precise" to some people. Either they "get it", or they don't. That doesn't mean they cannot be artists, but the results might be affected by that difference in perception.

I didn't like Dawn's original texture, but at the same time, I didn't like V4 in the purple bikini either. When Transformer came out, I have quickly converted a bunch of V4 textures to Dawn, and all was good again. However, I have observed a considerable backslash on Dawn because of the texture - as if people didn't have the ability to load a different one. V4 had a horrible default texture, and I don't think anybody has ever used that in renders, but with Dawn it was treated as an incurable disease. People have also claimed Dawn's chin was too masculine - but look at this - the moment I posted a render with a different texture, that opinion has vanished. I think these observations are kind of revealing.

Haha "dumpster fire" sounds so funny. :roflmao: My wife and I have watched Batwoman, but we couldn't get passed the 2nd episode. Too much political propaganda, up to the point of interfering with the story. Bruce has a sister nobody ever heard of. And she had a Chinese sister, and dated a black woman, and they were all lesbians. The constant battering and belittlering of [white] men was tiresome. The protagonist was also a Mary Jane who could effortlessly beat up men 3 times her size. At least Bruce had to put up some mass and training before he could do the same. That girl was tiny, which removes any chance of believability. Bruce was not a superhero - so he had to earn it. But the Kate character seems superficial and unconvincing. If she is a woman, that dispenses any effort to develop the character, which just automatically puts her in a position of power - again, tiresome political propaganda. To us, that just ruins everything. Feels like we were not watching a TV series, but instead being convinced of a political stance. Is it too much to ask for a good story and character development?
Well, first, let's straighten out some misconceptions... Bruce is an only child, no sister. Kate was his cousin, and yes, even in the comics, she's a lesbian. The Chinese sister, don't know where she came from, but she's a step sister, and not a lesbian. And lastly, I will agree with you that there's a LOT of politics in the show. THAT I actually blame on Berlanti, the Producer. He does that on ALL his shows. Kate had some military training to back up her crimefighting. The new girl has some martial arts training and in the first show, she did get her a$$ handed to her at first. It was mostly the batsuit that saved her.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Well, first, let's straighten out some misconceptions... Bruce is an only child, no sister. Kate was his cousin, and yes, even in the comics, she's a lesbian. The Chinese sister, don't know where she came from, but she's a step sister, and not a lesbian. And lastly, I will agree with you that there's a LOT of politics in the show. THAT I actually blame on Berlanti, the Producer. He does that on ALL his shows. Kate had some military training to back up her crimefighting. The new girl has some martial arts training and in the first show, she did get her a$$ handed to her at first. It was mostly the batsuit that saved her.

Sorry, I have rushed the contents from my faded memories of the show from the top of my head. All I can say is the constant political statements were detracting from the story to a point where it was more about that than anything else. Is this about feminism and SJW, or is it about the batwoman? They made a choice.

Did you see the hundreds of people crying tears of joy on YouTube when they watched "The Mandalorian"? They had to endure a series of feminist\SJW propaganda murdering the Star Wars franchising for 3 movies and a few side series, until Disney has forbidden Kathleen Kennedy from interfering on the making of "The Mandalorian". People have cried when they saw their beloved characters as they were "supposed to be", as opposed to being turned into means for political propaganda for these many years. Disney investors have lost enough money to allow this to continue. Not just losses in the box office, but with countless Star Wars merchandizing that have been sitting on the shelf for years, which is something unheard in Star Wars history. Not to mention actors refusing to take roles in any future Star Wars movie, which is also unheard of.

It was so bad that Disney was about to close their DisneyPlus streaming service for lack of subscribers. The Mandalorian has saved DisneyPlus, and also the Star Wars franchising, but for that to happen, Disney had to keep Kathleen Kennedy from interfering on Jon Favreau and Dave Felony's work. I could say the same for what has become of the Star Trek franchising under CBS, where even reruns of "The Price is Right" had more views than the latest Star Trek Discovery episodes, where political propaganda has replaced the story, and the protagonist is yet another Mary Jane who knows all, all the time. During an online interview with the actors on YouTube, the Star Trek Discovery channel couldn't reach even 5000 views, even with Patrick Steward being present. That has never happened before in Star Trek history. I guess that means something.

eclark1894

Visionary
Sorry, I have rushed the contents from my faded memories of the show from the top of my head. All I can say is the constant political statements were detracting from the story to a point where it was more about that than anything else. Is this about feminism and SJW, or is it about the batwoman? They made a choice.

Did you see the hundreds of people crying tears of joy on YouTube when they watched "The Mandalorian"? They had to endure a series of feminist\SJW propaganda murdering the Star Wars franchising for 3 movies and a few side series, until Disney has forbidden Kathleen Kennedy from interfering on the making of "The Mandalorian". People have cried when they saw their beloved characters as they were "supposed to be", as opposed to being turned into means for political propaganda for these many years. Disney investors have lost enough money to allow this to continue. Not just losses in the box office, but with countless Star Wars merchandizing that have been sitting on the shelf for years, which is something unheard in Star Wars history. Not to mention actors refusing to take roles in any future Star Wars movie, which is also unheard of.

It was so bad that Disney was about to close their DisneyPlus streaming service for lack of subscribers. The Mandalorian has saved DisneyPlus, and also the Star Wars franchising, but for that to happen, Disney had to keep Kathleen Kennedy from interfering on Jon Favreau and Dave Felony's work. I could say the same for what has become of the Star Trek franchising under CBS, where even reruns of "The Price is Right" had more views than the latest Star Trek Discovery episodes, where political propaganda has replaced the story, and the protagonist is yet another Mary Jane who knows all, all the time. During an online interview with the actors on YouTube, the Star Trek Discovery channel couldn't reach even 5000 views, even with Patrick Steward being present. That has never happened before in Star Trek history. I guess that means something.
Actually, I dropped my Disney Plus subscription...twice. But Disney has always been a politically correct place so I'm not surprised there although, the Mandalorian was not a favorite of mine. I watched the first season, but the second... nah. Was never really into Star Wars after the first three first came out in the 70s. Although, you know it would be nice to see Dusk dressed up as some of the Star Wars guys, like Luke, Solo and Mandalorian.

And jumping back to the Batwoman for a moment... you know, when Kate Kane was first introduced, it was as a love interest for the Batman. Batgirl, the original one, was introduced for Robin. Ironically, DC was politically motivated to do that because a "CRITIC" thought Batman and Robin were too "homosexual".

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I just wanted to touch on something in the discussion between @Ken1171 and @eclark1894 regarding Political Correctness, Social Justice, the strive for inclusion and equality versus knee-jerk over reaching and pandering. I feel what has happened with a lot of more recent movies and television is in this frenzied response to show how "Progressive" and "Inclusive" they are, the makers, producers, and writers instead of trying to actually balance any scale realistically have either completely thrown it out the window and gone extreme in the opposite direction... or worse yet have included normally downtrodden lifestyle, racial, or gender types in such a superficial way as to not really impact or be relevant to the story but yet have focus forced onto them as if a giant spotlight saying "See how progressive we are!" i.e. Pandering at the worst. What truly saddens me is that there are so many in the SJW movement holding these examples high as victories because they do not seem to understand the difference between pandering and true equality or inclusion. There have been so many missed opportunities in recent film and television that could have been strong and proud moments of true progress that either fell flat or were misused to just harp on past issues.
One thing I am very sick of in current media, which actually began long before the me too movement but has picked up substantial speed of late, is the war on Masculinity - not just white men, but manhood in general. You do not achieve any form of equality or progress by villainous the opposite side. Worse, there is a great deal of it that is stereotypical nonsense, or not even unique to men, yet there is this constant stream of garbage out of public media lately about how bad it is to be a white man, or a man in general. By forcing this into every public channel all it is doing is pushing more people who could be potential allies into opposition be casting them as the villain simply for being male. I, personally, have become very anti PC and Anti SJW as a result of this trend. In reality I generally prefer a live and let live approach, as long as whatever you do brings me no harm, it's your business. Too me, it seems too many people are looking to find things to be offended at to start conflicts - and in my life it has often been people taking offense at something that they had no personal stake in. Our recent president in the U.S. did not help matters... but I should stop before I get on a rant...

I guess what I am really trying to say, if you are a writer or producer, don't include a lifestyle or minority just for inclusion. Don't make the main character a particular gender style just because it's currently popular. Certainly don't make their skills and abilities unbelievably better than anyone elses without cause or supporting back story. Invest some time in writing up the characters, flesh them out, make them real, make them believable, and include them because it fits, not just to fill a quota.

For God's sake did we really need the obviously pandering "Girl Power" pose scene made up of third and fourth tier and completely unknown characters from the Marvel Universe in Endgame...or could we have gotten a much stronger Female Equality message across by ACTUALLY including Captain Marvel in a larger part of the movie, not just swinging her fists for a few seconds? I think the later...but by current media standards I am just a white male with no insight or value.

DanaTA

Distinguished
A lot of this comes about because of the sudden importance of the 'I' in any view basically such critics are saying I found such and such awful and therefore, clearly, everyone else should feel the same. It has a negative effect on the hobby but nowhere near the negative impact as it does in day to day life where it appears many feel only their view matters.

As a child I was often told it would be a sad world if everyone thought the same and liked/disliked the same things. There nearer we get to point the where communities must bow to the one view (normally spouted by the one with the biggest mouth and lowest IQ) I believe it is not only a sad world but a dangerous one as well.
I never pay attention to movie/TV critics. After all, remember a little movie named Star Wars? The critics all panned that, too. It only told me that their preferences were way off from mine at best, and that they were snobs and pretentious at worst.

In a similar vein, I pay no attention to things like The Academy Awards. It's just a bunch of them patting each other on the back! The only ones that really matter are the People's Choice awards. And even then, sometimes they're not in line with my own likes or dislikes.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
As for being a petite woman not being a realistic badass fighter, you must remember Bruce Lee, who was not a big guy. Strength or size do not matter in martial arts, speed and accuracy of execution are what count. there is a famous female martial artist who is also petite...Cynthia Rothrock...she's 5'3" and is a master in several styles and was a high level competitor for many years. Just saying.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
As for being a petite woman not being a realistic badass fighter, you must remember Bruce Lee, who was not a big guy. Strength or size do not matter in martial arts, speed and accuracy of execution are what count. there is a famous female martial artist who is also petite...Cynthia Rothrock...she's 5'3" and is a master in several styles and was a high level competitor for many years. Just saying.

Dana

I have to say I have been a martial artist since I was 5 (4 styles), and things just don't work like that. Bruce Lee was a stunt fighter, he only fought for real once in his life (outside a dojo), and people close to him claim he was never the same after that. It was a few years back when I was robbed by thugs while buying medicine at a pharmacy at 4AM when my aunt got sick. That was the one and only time I had used martial arts outside the dojo for self defense, and only then I understood what happened to Bruce - a real fight is nothing like we do in training. It changes you, and what you believe about martial arts. I have stopped practicing since then. I don't see it the same anymore. It is not like in the Karate Kid movie, that is just fantasy. In action movies, they just beat each other up, and then stand back up like nothing has happened. That doesn't happen in real life. These thugs woke up in the hospital.

I understand what you mean about female martial artists. My master's wife was half my height, she's 5th degree black belt, and I wouldn't stand on a ring with her. She was in another level, but if my kick connected, she would go down faster than me. Haha I doubt I could get even close to her and still stand (she was faster than me), but if I managed, real life kicks in - when hits connect, unlike the movies, people go down.

On a lighter note, I've met my wife on a dojo. It was love at first sight (yes, it exists), and we have been together for 37 years. I was assigned to teach her ground fighting, and if you know how that goes, it ended in marriage. LOL

DanaTA

Distinguished
I have to say I have been a martial artist since I was 5 (4 styles), and things just don't work like that. Bruce Lee was a stunt fighter, he only fought for real once in his life (outside a dojo), and people close to him claim he was never the same after that. It was a few years back when I was robbed by thugs while buying medicine at a pharmacy at 4AM when my aunt got sick. That was the one and only time I had used martial arts outside the dojo for self defense, and only then I understood what happened to Bruce - a real fight is nothing like we do in training. It changes you, and what you believe about martial arts. I have stopped practicing since then. I don't see it the same anymore. It is not like in the Karate Kid movie, that is just fantasy. In action movies, they just beat each other up, and then stand back up like nothing has happened. That doesn't happen in real life. These thugs woke up in the hospital.
I understand the fantasy and realities of martial arts. I do love the art, the grace, involved in the martial arts, as well as the power. I know that the movies are all choreographed. It's one of the things I like about them. It's like watching a hyper dance. The skill involved in executing them well, and making it seem so easy, so fluent, is incredible. I also know that the theory involved is very real and does work on the street, as long as you are skilled and aware of your surroundings. I was never a big person, nor very strong when I was younger. But I was amazed at how easily a larger person can be thrown when you use the proper pricipals of leverage and speed. And, of course, in a real life situation, adrenalin kicks in, too.
I understand what you mean about female martial artists. My master's wife was half my height, she's 5th degree black belt, and I wouldn't stand on a ring with her. She was in another level, but if my kick connected, she would go down faster than me. Haha I doubt I could get even close to her and still stand (she was faster than me), but if I managed, real life kicks in - when hits connect, unlike the movies, people go down.

On a lighter note, I've met my wife on a dojo. It was love at first sight (yes, it exists), and we have been together for 37 years. I was assigned to teach her ground fighting, and if you know how that goes, it ended in marriage. LOL
Sounds like that was a conflict of interests! :p

Dana

theschell

Brilliant
I had a self-defense instructor at one point when I was still working that had specific restraint moves he was trying to teach us to use... all his fancy moves went right out the window in the field because they required too much fine motor finesse to accomplish and were too complex to do in "the heat of battle" so-to-speak. I remember getting into it with him in class over his methods as I'd had years of experience at that point already and knew that quick and effective was more important than fancy... There's a massive difference between what works in a Dojo or classroom and what does the job in an actual life-and-death fight. And you're right... being in a real fight for your life changes you deeply and it's never the same as it seems when you're learning in a nice safe classroom or watching it on the silver screen, and you're never the same when it's over... You learn things about yourself when you're deep in it that often times you'll wish you'd never learned after it's over. I can speak from very personal experience on that one, I lost a big part of myself in doing the job and learned a lot about myself that I probably would have been better off never finding out, and I'm still trying to find the parts of me that I lost...

As for people shooting down Dawn and Dusk (or any other figure for that matter), there is a certain portion of the community that will instantly rip into any new figure that anyone posts about before they ever have a chance to get off the ground because it wasn't made by DAZ. They'll have everyone convinced it's garbage the moment there's any sort of development thread posted about the potential new character figure, and by the time the new figure is released they've destroyed any interest anyone might have had. I've seen it happen time and time again over the last 12 years, and it doesn't matter how well the figure is rigged or how it moves, bends etc, or even how well it is textured... And they will get right ugly to accomplish it...

Last edited:

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist

Dana
I am a "petite woman" .160 cm. currently a bit overweight with 63 kg, but usually 58 -60 kg . I was kickboxing for a very long time, till I had to stop because damaged joints.
However, I would never be able to kick out 6-7 and more well trained man in high heels and leather suit . This is ridiculous. Makes me angry each time I see this. And yeah, perfect hair and make up after the fight. This makes from a woman not a super being, but a caricature .

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist

Amen to this. I real live thugs don't come one by one after you, they jump on you all at once. Yes, when you are very good, you can take out 2-maybe three, but for sure they will wake up in the hospital and you will look a bit different to .
And I never fight in high heels. I am not a masochist. :whistling:

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
As for people shooting down Dawn and Dusk (or any other figure for that matter), there is a certain portion of the community that will instantly rip into any new figure that anyone posts about before they ever have a chance to get off the ground because it wasn't made by DAZ. They'll have everyone convinced it's garbage the moment there's any sort of development thread posted about the potential new character figure, and by the time the new figure is released they've destroyed any interest anyone might have had. I've seen it happen time and time again over the last 12 years, and it doesn't matter how well the figure is rigged or how it moves, bends etc, or even how well it is textured... And they will get right ugly to accomplish it...
Did you see who was in the front line with bashing Dawn? Most of them DS user and vendors from DAZ. They would never use Dawn and never will, but trash her anyway. What made me angry, that Poser user could get so fooled from them. They join the mob and most of them even did not posses Dawn or even want to try her out.
It was really a sad story .

DanaTA

Distinguished
I am a "petite woman" .160 cm. currently a bit overweight with 63 kg, but usually 58 -60 kg . I was kickboxing for a very long time, till I had to stop because damaged joints.
However, I would never be able to kick out 6-7 and more well trained man in high heels and leather suit . This is ridiculous. Makes me angry each time I see this. And yeah, perfect hair and make up after the fight. This makes from a woman not a super being, but a caricature .
Oh, I know. Like I said, that's the movies. It's entertainment. But Cynthia was a competitor before she was in movies, and quite accomplished. But, of course, there is more money in movies than fights in the ring...and less actual physical damage...something martial artists think about when they're getting older.

Dana

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Oh, I know. Like I said, that's the movies. It's entertainment. But Cynthia was a competitor before she was in movies, and quite accomplished. But, of course, there is more money in movies than fights in the ring...and less actual physical damage...something martial artists think about when they're getting older.

Dana
True. Kickboxing was fun for me, like Squash. Loved to do this 2 sport, till I had a bad day , a bad jump and a damaged knee. I recover, but stop both sports .Today I am hiking in the mountains. :) And love it.
2 years ago my husband and me made a chalenge, 2 weeks (on his holidays) , 150 km hiking through the Vosges . We was not sure if I can make it, but I did. I was so proud of my self . Was the best holidays ever. 2 weeks only nature .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Amen to this. I real live thugs don't come one by one after you, they jump on you all at once. Yes, when you are very good, you can take out 2-maybe three, but for sure they will wake up in the hospital and you will look a bit different to .

The thugs came from the same side, but there was a little gap between them, so I didn't have to face both at the same time. It felt like they had no fighting training - sloppy and no technique. They didn't know how to straight-punch, so they were slow and predictable. They were not carrying weapons, which encouraged me to fight back. They were not wearing protective gear, and I didn't hold back, so when the kicks hit, there was real damage, and I had never seen that before. When the second thug started throwing punches, I just reacted automatically, and then they were both on the ground. I didn't have time to think, which I guess was the point of the training. Emotionally speaking, I was not prepared for that. My grandmaster has spoken about it, but there are things that cannot be understood until it happens to us. The stationed pharmacist saw everything, so when the police arrived, he explained it was self-defense, or else I could had been arrested. When the ambulance arrived, one of the thugs was not moving, and for a moment, I thought I had killed someone. He was just knocked out, but I was petrified. I thought I would be expelled from the dojo (outside fights are strictly forbidden), but the grandmaster understood I had no choice. However, I couldn't spar after that, and ended up quitting martial arts, which I've practiced since I was 5. I thought that's what I was training for, to be able to defend myself, but when it crossed my mind that I could had killed someone, everything changed.

And I never fight in high heels. I am not a masochist. :whistling:

Only Mary Janes can do that, and not break an ankle. LOL

Dana

I think movies do a terrible job showing physical damage caused by martial arts. People getting elbows to the face, or knees to the jaw, and just stand up like nothing happened. That's a bit too much. ;p

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
True. Kickboxing was fun for me, like Squash. Loved to do this 2 sport, till I had a bad day , a bad jump and a damaged knee. I recover, but stop both sports .Today I am hiking in the mountains. :) And love it.

I will leave high-impact sports to the younger guys! ^^

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm kinda glad I don't have any training in any kind of self defence because when I was young I was outside of a pub and my then (and quickly ex) boyfriend took a swing at me to punch me in the face and it was like I blacked out for a blink of an eye, the bouncer told me I got in quicker and my punch broke his nose. I didn't even know I had moved except to avoid his punch. I was very lucky to not get hit and I just reacted on instinct