• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Discussion about content

theschell

Brilliant
I was saddened to hear this... DAZ and Rendo seem to be slowly taking over the whole market and it's a shame when we lose the stores that made our once active community truly vibrant. Every time we lose another site we lose another chunk of what was once a great and sharing community and I'm saddened that things have reached the state they have in our part of the 3D world...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Conversely, Rendo has massively turned into a DAZ outlet, and ironically, they now own Poser. Am I the only one who sees a conflict of interests there?

theschell

Brilliant
Conversely, Rendo has massively turned into a DAZ outlet, and ironically, they now own Poser. Am I the only one who sees a conflict of interests there?
They locked most of us 3rd party content creators out several years back... all in the name of chasing the buck at the expense of the community... and the 3D community hasn't been the same since...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
They locked most of us 3rd party content creators out several years back... all in the name of chasing the buck at the expense of the community... and the 3D community hasn't been the same since...

You mean Rendo? What did they do?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Not really seeing a conflict. Just two software owners competing.

theschell

Brilliant
You mean Rendo? What did they do?
Bout the same things as DAZ did at nealy the same time Daz was doing it... but that's an old story at this point and not worth getting into... I'm just saddened that yet another 3rd party store is gone... we don't have many choices left in terms of purchasing content now days if we don't want to deal with DAZ or Rendo...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Not really seeing a conflict. Just two software owners competing.

I haven't seen much of a competition there. Nearly all contents being sold at Rendo are for DS, which means they have a customer base who doesn't use their software. If they want Poser to succeed, something will have to change.

Bout the same things as DAZ did at nealy the same time Daz was doing it... but that's an old story at this point and not worth getting into... I'm just saddened that yet another 3rd party store is gone... we don't have many choices left in terms of purchasing content now days if we don't want to deal with DAZ or Rendo...

I am starting my store at Rendo as we speak, and I am concerned most Rendo customers are from DS. I understand Rendo wants to promote Poser, but the environment looks unfavorable. If most consumers are from DS, would Poser products sell? I guess time will tell.

theschell

Brilliant
A big part of the issue in terms of Daz is that they've spent huge amounts of time convincing the majority of their user base that only products bought from, or purpose made for, Daz will work in DS even though in large part that is patently untrue... My products were all made in DS and Hexagon and all of them worked equally well in both DS and Poser... but pointing out that Poser items can be used in DS without difficulty just gets the trolls up in arms... Back when I was still making content I was getting pressured from numerous sources to do DS specific and Poser specific versions of everything I made because the DS users were being eductated that only DS specific products would work in DS... it just doubles the work-load of the content creators needlessly and only serves to pad pocket books... It was one of many changes in the community after the DS/Poser split that has been slowly driving vendors out... But I digress and apologize, it's just my opinion and not really worth hashing up, the community is just not the same as it once was for any number of reasons and we lose a little more of it each day...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A big part of the issue in terms of Daz is that they've spent huge amounts of time convincing the majority of their user base that only products bought from, or purpose made for, Daz will work in DS even though in large part that is patently untrue...

That's not the only thing DS users were told that is not true. For instance, most strongly believe Dawn and Dusk are Poser-only figures. I hear that everywhere I go.

theschell

Brilliant
Because my products were not DS specific I was getting told that same sort of thing by both my customers and my brokers about my products... "You need to make a DS version as the Poser version won't work in DS..." and the like... I'd done a tut about which Poser items would and wouldn't work in DS and had the dazzite trolls attack my Tut claiming it was all false and didn't work, and that i didn't know what I was talking about... sadly...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Because my products were not DS specific I was getting told that same sort of thing by both my customers and my brokers about my products... "You need to make a DS version as the Poser version won't work in DS..." and the like...

There is another side of this same story. About 95% of all my contents have native Poser and DS versions. However, I believe only a very small fraction of DS users will ever use HW human figures. Therefore I assume they will also ignore my native DS contents because they are not for Genesis. So whether or not we have native DS products may not even be the issue.

theschell

Brilliant
There is another side of this same story. About 95% of all my contents have native Poser and DS versions. However, I believe only a very small fraction of DS users will ever use HW human figures. Therefore I assume they will also ignore my native DS contents because they are not for Genesis. So whether or not we have native DS products may not even be the issue.
Yeah there's that factor to it too... but that was all part of the same basic misinformation that has been circulated to get people to buy from Daz instead of elsewhere... it is what it is... unfortunately...

'Ask not what DS can do for you, but what can you buy for DS"... lol

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yeah there's that factor to it too... but that was all part of the same basic misinformation that has been circulated to get people to buy from Daz instead of elsewhere... it is what it is... unfortunately...

I agree. DAZ has that kind of power. If they tell people not to buy from someone, they just don't. I have seen that in first hand.

theschell

Brilliant
I love and use both DS and Poser and have for the entire time I was a content provider... I just don't agree with the policies and changes that Daz made and what those decisions have caused to happen in our community... As a company they seem to have forgotten that it was end users and 3rd party content providers that made it into what it is...

DanaTA

Distinguished
I was saddened to hear this... DAZ and Rendo seem to be slowly taking over the whole market and it's a shame when we lose the stores that made our once active community truly vibrant. Every time we lose another site we lose another chunk of what was once a great and sharing community and I'm saddened that things have reached the state they have in our part of the 3D world...
Ummm...in the meantime, Dana's 3D. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
I see some stuff there that used to be on the old Meshworks site... :)
Yes, he joined more than a year ago. He' pretty busy with other things, but said that he has a new motorhome that will be put up there when he's ready.

Dana

theschell

Brilliant
I haven't spoken to him in years... we used to work together on his free3dcontent site years ago, and he was one of several that mentored me when I was just getting started out, back before the community went to heck with the DS/Poser split... I'm glad to know he's still around... :)