• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Discussion about content

theschell

Brilliant
I have currently lost 100% of my sales, since this is the very first time I have no products on store in the last 17 years. And I am kind of weary of Rendo, because of the big fish/small fish vendor policies that may obfuscate the smaller guys with little exposure, living in the shadows of the big sellers. I don't know if it's still like that, but I will find out very soon.
I wish you the best of luck at Rendo, for me it just hasn't been worth it, but hopefully you'll have more success... I'm selling the few products I have left on ShareCG now days, after I closed my site down I'd sold most of my content off to VP when I went out of business ... I don't make many sales, but I'm doing better there than I was at Rendo...

theschell

Brilliant
It happens. I wouldn't talking about these things if the HW store hasn't closed.
Yeah... I wouldn't be either really... at least they are being nice enough to allow an honest discussion about things... they were pretty good about that even before the store closed... :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I wish you the best of luck at Rendo, for me it just hasn't been worth it, but hopefully you'll have more success... I'm selling the few products I have left on ShareCG now days after I closed my site down, I'd sold most of my content off to VP when i went out of business ... I don't make many sales, but I'm doing better there than I was at Rendo...

Maybe the key to compete in a large market like Rendo is to just do something other people are NOT doing. That's what pushed me to go for Python scripts for Poser 12, where nothing made for older versions will work. It's an emerging market full of opportunities, and I want to invest in that niche. I have tested the waters in Poser 11 with my Scatter Tool, and it has surprisingly outsold everything else I had in store. I would never imagine that. My Scatter Tool for P12 is going to beta-testing soon, bringing some new functionality. I have 4 other automation tools on the works that will certainly find their public. It's things Poser makes hard to accomplish, that I made super easy - sometimes with just a button click.

If I can't compete with conforming clothing, body sculpts, or character sets, then Python scripts it is. I guess that's what it means to vary our portfolio?

theschell

Brilliant
I do mostly aircraft, vehicles and such... Military and Sci-fi mainly... or at least I was before I gave it up. I took over for BeyondVR when he retired and had worked closely with him on his last few freebies before he left...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Judging by that German mecha tank, you are pretty good with it. Reminds me of the kind of work Vanishing Point would do. I am better with organic modelling than I am with hard surfaces. However, rigging hard surface models is way easier in comparison. I am currently moving away from 3D modeling for the sake of making myself more competitive in a market where there is much larger fish in the same bowl. Not that I won't do 3D anymore, but I just need an edge right now, and Python will give me that. I may be shooting myself on the foot if people resist upgrading to P12 right now, but I know they will eventually, so even if it doesn't work now, it eventually will. I had people claiming they save my demo videos and upgraded to P12 because of me. That's a sign my plan may actually work.

theschell

Brilliant
Judging by that German mecha tank, you are pretty good with it. Reminds me of the kind of work Vanishing Point would do. I am better with organic modelling than I am with hard surfaces. However, rigging hard surface models is way easier in comparison. I am currently moving away from 3D modeling for the sake of making myself more competitive in a market where there is much larger fish in the same bowl. Not that I won't do 3D anymore, but I just need an edge right now, and Python will give me that. I may be shooting myself on the foot if people resist upgrading to P12 right now, but I know they will eventually, so even if it doesn't work now, it eventually will. I had people claiming they save my demo videos and upgraded to P12 because of me. That's a sign my plan may actually work.
I was a top seller on VP regularly before I retired... my stuff still sells fairly well there, though not as much as it used to (no new products since I stopped doing full-time content creation)... :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That explains it. Only you guys created that kind of content, at least that I can remember. I have bought some of it back in the day. Unique, quality stuff I couldn't find anywhere else for Poser.

theschell

Brilliant
That explains it. Only you guys created that kind of content, at least that I can remember. I have bought some of it back in the day. Unique, quality stuff I couldn't find anywhere else for Poser.
Yep... VP has a good site and he's been among my strongest supporters right from the beginning... :)

eclark1894

Visionary
I wish you the best of luck at Rendo, for me it just hasn't been worth it, but hopefully you'll have more success... I'm selling the few products I have left on ShareCG now days, after I closed my site down I'd sold most of my content off to VP when I went out of business ... I don't make many sales, but I'm doing better there than I was at Rendo...
I didn't know you had closed your site down. Of course, I was feeling pretty bad, heathwise, last year. Gotta delete you from the Online Stores category.

theschell

Brilliant
Was it Poser only? Did they ever sell their sou... ehm, sold at DAZ?
My stuff was Ds and Poser both, most of his products were Poser (but functional in DS as well)... I created everything in Hexagon and Daz Studio and then tested and tweaked in Poser for cross-compatibility... VP was supposed to start selling through Daz but they pulled BS on him and then reneged on the agreement. He'd posted about that briefly on here back when it happened. They pulled it with him about the same time they backed out on the deal with Hivewire here and under about the same circumstances. I was privy to a lot of it because I was still one of his top sellers at the time. I refused to go over to Daz when they tried to get him to turn over his site to them, they were trying to do with him what they'd done to everyone at RDNA and it made quite a few of us unhappy with the idea...

Last edited:

theschell

Brilliant
I didn't know you had closed your site down. Of course, I was feeling pretty bad, heathwise, last year. Gotta delete you from the Online Stores category.
Yeah... sadly... I had posted an announcement about it here in the forums as well as on my FB pages back when I shut down... I sold the rights to most of my products off to VanishingPoint... but I still have a few for sale on my ShareCG market. I can give you a link to my store/gallery there if you like...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
My stuff was Ds and Poser both, most of his products were Poser (but functional in DS as well)... I created everything in Hexagon and Daz Studio and then tested and tweaked in Poser for cross-compatibility... VP was supposed to start selling through Daz but they pulled BS on him and then reneged on the agreement. He'd posted about that briefly on here back when it happened. They pulled it with him about the same time they backed out on the deal with Hivewire here and under about the same circumstances. I was privy to a lot of it because I was still one of his top sellers at the time. I refused to go over to Daz when they tried to get him to turn over his site to them, they were trying to do with him what they'd done to everyone at RDNA and it made quite a few of us unhappy with the idea...

I have always kept a healthy distance from DAZ for safety reasons, so I don't know what happened with the RDNA vendors. I was once emailed by some of them about a year after the DAZ deal, claiming they were having their stores closed in mass. Some claimed DAZ wanted to make believe they were taking all RDNA vendors, but then silently got rid of most of them a year later, when nobody was looking anymore. They claimed DAZ only wanted to keep the bestseller vendors, and ditch the rest. That's what they told me, but I can't confirm any of it in first hand.

theschell

Brilliant
I have always kept a healthy distance from DAZ for safety reasons, so I don't know what happened with the RDNA vendors. I was once emailed by some of them about a year after the DAZ deal, claiming they were having their stores closed in mass. Some claimed DAZ wanted to make believe they were taking all RDNA vendors, but then silently got rid of most of them a year later, when nobody was looking anymore. They claimed DAZ only wanted to keep the bestseller vendors, and ditch the rest. That's what they told me, but I can't confirm any of it in first hand.
Yeah that was about the way it happened... I personally knew a few vendors that lost products and had other problems as a result of the RDNA buy-out, Daz was pretty underhanded about the way they did things... They tried to do something similar to VP as well...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That's more or less corporate standard practices. Either buy or close down the competition. Nothing personal, business as usual. RDNA was going to close whether or not DAZ bought it out, so there was no happy ending for the vendors either ways. DAZ was already claiming HW wouldn't last even the first year, so they missed the date by seven, and they did everything in their power to make it happen. I guess the little guy defeating the giant only happens in the Bible.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
DAZ didn't take all RDNA vendors in the first place - first hand factual knowledge. There was a lot of misinformation and downright lying from DAZ and management at RuntimeDNA when that happened. Most of us Vendors learned of the buyout with the public announcement in the forums and on the front page where everyone else learned of it - no fore warning - no mention it was even in discussion. I could go on and into detail, but I wont - though it is one of the many, many reasons I have nothing but ill will for DAZ. There were some vendors that initially went with the merger then found themselves essentially shut out who have my sympathies - several I had worked with to create supporting products with. I am glad we had much more fore warning here...though I am very saddened to see HiveWire3D close.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When I first heard that part of the RDNA vendors went to Rosity instead, I was surprised. I also didn't know RDNA itself kept its own vendors in the dark about what was about to happen. There is so much I don't know because, for once, I wasn't there. At least Theschell has now confirmed in first hand what I was already told by other vendors about what happened after the buyout. DAZ has claimed to have absorbed the RDNA vendors, just to silently mass dismiss them a year later, when nobody was looking anymore. If not for the email exchanges, the ex-RDNA vendors wouldn't even know it was a mass dismissal - they thought it was just them individually. That's how much DAZ wanted to keep this under wraps. They cherry picked the best vendors and ditched the rest - very different from the official story most people heard about. It's amusing how much misinformation shows up when it comes down to DAZ.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Yeah that was about the way it happened... I personally knew a few vendors that lost products and had other problems as a result of the RDNA buy-out, Daz was pretty underhanded about the way they did things... They tried to do something similar to VP as well...
@theshell
Fur us personally I can not confirm. DAZ take us over and it goes smooth. After 6 months they offer us a buy out for all of our products. They give us a fair price , but we still remain Vendors over there. I don't know what happens to other vendors, but with us they was very fair .
Unfortunately we step back the past few years from Content creating, so not very active, but this is not Daz fault.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
When I first heard that part of the RDNA vendors went to Rosity instead, I was surprised. I also didn't know RDNA itself kept its own vendors in the dark about what was about to happen. There is so much I don't know because, for once, I wasn't there. At least Theschell has now confirmed in first hand what I was already told by other vendors about what happened after the buyout. DAZ has claimed to have absorbed the RDNA vendors, just to silently mass dismiss them a year later, when nobody was looking anymore. If not for the email exchanges, the ex-RDNA vendors wouldn't even know it was a mass dismissal - they thought it was just them individually. That's how much DAZ wanted to keep this under wraps. They cherry picked the best vendors and ditched the rest - very different from the official story most people heard about. It's amusing how much misinformation shows up when it comes down to DAZ.
@Ken1171
Take this "first hand records" with a grain of salt. I know personale many vendors who quit by them selfs, because don't want to create for DS.
True is, some vendors could not pass, because they don't meet the quality standards or their marketplace requirements.
I mean you can like DAZ or not, but not everything is to blame on them.
Sad thing is that RDNA did not communicate with its vendors. But this is the past, why not focus on the future?