• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DAZ Studio - versions, interface issues, etc....

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Not a problem Traci...I was just providing information in case you hadn't known.
I'm sorry if something I posted made you feel like this Traci. It was never my intention to make anyone feel like that. I was merely sharing my experience as a pc club member and iirc there were special deals on at the time for if you had bought different things. The price I paid was quite low all things considered. I used to buy a lot from them at one time...rarely missing items.

I think that many people would have different prices due to all the deals and what people owned previously.
Edited to add just for comparison...
Had to go hunting but I found the original order.
Original price $334.95
Discount $267.96
Price I paid $66.99

I had already picked up the base DS4 at around $49 but even adding that in only takes my purchase to just over $100.

Like I said earlier I was a bit of a content junkie back then and bought lots of stuff which often back then led to further discounts. Not something you see so much these days. I also picked up Zbrush at $145 back then and they have just kept doing free upgrades since. That would be one of the best purchases I ever made...

Yeah, I originally used the 2 screens with DS3. Love it. I guess it was a sign my eyes were going bad that I ignored at the time. Oh well, nothing they could have done back then either. Graves disease has simply stretched the optic nerves beyond repair.

I also missed the ZBrush deal, dagnabit! That's what I get for not paying attention. I'll never find $700.00 for ZBrush now, unless I win the lottery or something........I can dream, right?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry to hear that Traci....

Yes, it was a very good deal and at the time it was difficult to find the cash but I'm glad I did. Like you there is no way I could have bought it at $700. I just keep hoping that when they go to paid for upgrades that I can afford it. I've been lucky so far.

And yes...dreams are free!

AllenArt

Eager
I also missed the ZBrush deal, dagnabit! That's what I get for not paying attention. I'll never find $700.00 for ZBrush now, unless I win the lottery or something........I can dream, right?

If you don't mind using another program that does something similar to Zbrush, 3D Coat is $100 off for the Pro version and $20 off for the educational version until July 22, making the prices $279 and $79 dollars respectively.

Laurie

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I was wondering...I have both 4.8 and 4.9 on my computer(Desktop), haven't used the 4.9 yet. But, on my OTHER computer(laptop), I have been working on building a custom content library. Can I move/copy/etc my personalized content library to my computer (Desktop)? I know you can save User database. But will that transfer to another computer? And where is it. (I know somebody said once, but now I don'tknow where that is.) I may have even asked this question, but it's been a rough summer, so I don't remember the answer, either. Apologies if I'm repeating myself.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't see why not Dax...I have my runtime on an external hard drive. You do know that you can set up DS to recognise a library on any of your drives? I have my DS installed on C:Drive and my library on an external disk.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
How are you managing to have both 4.8 and 4.9? Thought you can only have one "point" version?

And yes, what Pen says - all my libraries are on an external drive

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The "Runtime" isn't the issue. I don't use the Smart Content tab. I make new links that I re-arrange in sections under "My Content" in the Content Tab. I want to copy the virtual index to another "My Content" in the other Version. My DAZ3d Library is on a different drive (My E instead of my C where the program is installed). So, it's just the "User Index" I think it's called, that I want to copy. I'll do a screen shot to show what I mean.

I installed the 4.8 into a different place than the 4.9, pointed all the files to the proper places. That part works fine.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry I don't use the Smart content tab so I can't help. I like to use the categories and have no problem with that being on an external hard drive.

I believe you can install them Alisa on different drives...

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
This is the part I mean. I don't use Smart Content, either, it never finds stuff! lol
User Index.jpg

I know that you can export it in the database manager. But, I don't know where it is, or .... I just want both of them to be the same so I can find things when I'm one versus the other.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Good question...

Okay...if you have already got them showing in one of the versions of DS have you exported your user data?

If you have you should be able to reimport the user data in the other program. Now where this may come unstuck is I'm not sure where the user data is actually saved and with them on different drives it may not working without copying that file into the other versions folder. I'm not sure I'll have time to have a look today as I'm having family over for lunch.

Do you have the content management system working in both versions? Because that may be the key...you really need someone like Mike or Adam from the Daz forums to answer this. I would suggest posting about this over there and someone may be able to help.

Edited to ask: Did you just delete the DS default directory under categories? I didn't know that you could do that...

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have exported the user data, but don't know where to find it! lol. Like you said. Yes, Content Management is working in both, so it shows what I have downloaded, but it doesn't show my categories. I'll do that, ask someone over there. They just tend to be much slower in answering!

As for the Default directory, It always drove me crazy, so I added numbers to my other categories and it makes them pop up higher in the stack. The default is still there, just lower down.

Enjoy family and lunch!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It also tells you where to find the user data...My Library\runtime\Support\UserData_1.dsx.

Don't know if just copying and pasting that to the other version would also set up your data though...

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Okay! For the edification of others in the future:
I Exported the User Data
Then I found it Where Pen said
I copied it and opened where the other program put it's User Data
I removed the User Data that was there and pasted the "old" data file in it's place
I opened the new program and told it to import Metadata, and ticked just the User data
Which transferred the file structure, but not the files
Then I told it to import Metadata again, and told it to re-import all Metadata.
And the rest of the files showed up!
So, now they are set up exactly the same!

Thank you all for the help, I would never have found the UserData file without you!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Now, since I have your brains working....anyone have a clue how to fix a drop menu that has lost it's dividers? I looked it up online, and tried what they said, but it didn't work.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Next to the Content Panel (top right corner) is the 3 little lines you click to find your content management, and content database management, and search known directories, that drop menu, has lost most of it's dividers. So it's a long list with nothing to separate it to make it easier to read.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
See, I find that interface just painful. I know it works for you, and I tried every interface, every possibilities. I just can't use it without intense pain.

Even my Poser interface is minimal - white background, white ground, all menus moved to a 2nd screen that is turned off until I need those menus. My workspace is white with the Poser border around it, LOL. Anything else is just too painful.
Have you tried looking at the screen through a pair of sunglasses...you know the proper pair...I have a pair that slips over my glasses and I can put them on if my eyes play up too much