• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DAZ Studio - versions, interface issues, etc....

eclark1894

Visionary
This doesn't have any real thing to do with the current discussion, but for my own curiosity, Studio seems to have some pretty significant improvements between 4.0 to 4.9, so why aren't we at least at DS 6 or 7 by now?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not sure Earl. IIRC there were certain things that had to occur for it to go up another number. I just can't remember what they were...

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
This doesn't have any real thing to do with the current discussion, but for my own curiosity, Studio seems to have some pretty significant improvements between 4.0 to 4.9, so why aren't we at least at DS 6 or 7 by now?
DAZ is doing it's best to delay a numbering update, I guess when DAZ Studio 5 hits there were will be a need to recompile all the shaders, plugins, addon's and the like in order for them to work in that new numbering. Not sure why that's a wall for for them but I guess it's got something to do with the code. So they are creeping along with all this 4X numbering for as long as they can...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
They made me pay $400 for DS 3 Advanced, which included the complete CCT tools. I was outraged when they just gave it away for free a few months later. They refused to give my money back. That's quite a business, so nothing surprises me anymore.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
They made me pay $400 for DS 3 Advanced, which included the complete CCT tools. I was outraged when they just gave it away for free a few months later. They refused to give my money back. That's quite a business, so nothing surprises me anymore.

How did they make you pay - was it not your choice to purchase the software;
but I do think that is the reason they won't try charging for DS again due to the understandable outrage last time they made such a fiasco over the attempt.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

Oh, I remember those days. I had to purchase all the tools separately because I couldn't spend that $400.00 chunk out of our budget. Doing it that way, you ended up paying almost twice what you should have.

Then, just went they were comfortably past the 30 day refund period, they put DS3A on special for $1.88!

Yeah, those were some infuriating times.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hey I paid for the pro version of 4 but now have access to all the tools. I really wasn't too upset when they started giving that away for free months later, it's business.. not well thought out business at times but it's business.

As for 4.9.. they will milk that for a couple more releases I'm sure before heading into 5 territory. I'm thinking when Vicky 8 is released is when 5 will hit. They release whole new releases of Vicky and Mike about every two years. She's a year old now so.............

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hey I paid for the pro version of 4 but now have access to all the tools. I really wasn't too upset when they started giving that away for free months later, it's business.. not well thought out business at times but it's business.

As for 4.9.. they will milk that for a couple more releases I'm sure before heading into 5 territory. I'm thinking when Vicky 8 is released is when 5 will hit. They release whole new releases of Vicky and Mike about every two years. She's a year old now so.............

Wasn't trying to be mean or ugly.......just memories.

I would still be happy to do DS versions of my products if I could use DS3A to do the conversions.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hey hon, I hear you. I remember when that was all going down at DAZ forums. Lotta pissed off folks. I was one of the few that just got on with it! lol Nice thing about the 4 series after it went to "FREE FOREVER" is that it is just that... free. So you COULD try it out and if you don't like it uninstall it!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Hey hon, I hear you. I remember when that was all going down at DAZ forums. Lotta pissed off folks. I was one of the few that just got on with it! lol Nice thing about the 4 series after it went to "FREE FOREVER" is that it is just that... free. So you COULD try it out and if you don't like it uninstall it!

If it were just because I don't like it, I could. But, it's the DS4 interface + my eye condition. I just can't do all that screen clutter without a 2 day migraine for 10 minutes in the program.

eclark1894

Visionary
I've never paid for DS. They just keep sticking it in my Product library whether I want it or not.o_O

The last one I PURPOSELY downloaded was DS2 something. Couldn't make heads or tails of it, but it was the only one that would run on my Mac.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
OH. I used to get headaches but only when the forums were bright white. The Hive has it's dark theme that I LOVE because everything is dark and green! lol As for DS you can set the UI to dark colors and just load what panes you want....

Here is my DS.

ScreenHunter_220 Jul. 03 09.54.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
OH. I used to get headaches but only when the forums were bright white. The Hive has it's dark theme that I LOVE because everything is dark and green! lol As for DS you can set the UI to dark colors and just load what panes you want....

Here is my DS.

See, I find that interface just painful. I know it works for you, and I tried every interface, every possibilities. I just can't use it without intense pain.

Even my Poser interface is minimal - white background, white ground, all menus moved to a 2nd screen that is turned off until I need those menus. My workspace is white with the Poser border around it, LOL. Anything else is just too painful.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Understood. We are all wired so differently. White kills my eyes. I was one of those kids in school that got to play sports with sunglasses on as the glare from the sun would literally blind me. I'm still like that to this day so even on cloudy days I wear sunglasses. White interfaces don't blind me but give me headaches so I have to darken when I can. Amazon for some reason doesn't do that so I think they are using some off white.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Understood. We are all wired so differently. White kills my eyes. I was one of those kids in school that got to play sports with sunglasses on as the glare from the sun would literally blind me. I'm still like that to this day so even on cloudy days I wear sunglasses. White interfaces don't blind me but give me headaches so I have to darken when I can. Amazon for some reason doesn't do that so I think they are using some off white.

Yeah, see all those icons across the top? Clutter! Pain inducing clutter! ROFL! And those icons on the posing interface. I would have to put tape over them. And the parameters tab - ow! ow! ow!

Just my messed up eyes revolting against me.