• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

DAZ Studio - versions, interface issues, etc....

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Ah, you can simplify things like that going into the Window> Workspace> Customize menu and turn off all that if you want to and just use the drop down menu's. I like that "clutter" as I have to have my tools right there in front of me. I actually customized it to look like that. I hate drop down menus! THOSE drive me batty! lol

Leana

Enthusiast
DAZ is doing it's best to delay a numbering update, I guess when DAZ Studio 5 hits there were will be a need to recompile all the shaders, plugins, addon's and the like in order for them to work in that new numbering. Not sure why that's a wall for for them but I guess it's got something to do with the code. So they are creeping along with all this 4X numbering for as long as they can...
Yes, one of the DAZ_People said in the forums that they'll change major version number when they have to do a major SDK update.
My guess it that they'll do it when they'll update the Qt version DS uses, which would be a huge change so quite possibly break a lot of things.

It has already reached 4.9, so what else can they do?
Release a 4.10 version? Version number is not a decimal...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Understood. We are all wired so differently. White kills my eyes. I was one of those kids in school that got to play sports with sunglasses on as the glare from the sun would literally blind me. I'm still like that to this day so even on cloudy days I wear sunglasses. White interfaces don't blind me but give me headaches so I have to darken when I can. Amazon for some reason doesn't do that so I think they are using some off white.
I'm exactly the same way. I can't tolerate web pages (or software UIs) with a white background. If any of my web design clients want dark text on a light background, the lightest I'll go is a very light grey. It wasn't so bad when my old laptop had an LED monitor, but this one has an LCD monitor, and the brightness is just killing my eyes.

BTW Richard, I knew you'd have your DS UI set to shades of green. :D I have my DS 4.0 Pro set up with Rob's DarkSide, which is shades of grey and black.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
See, I find that interface just painful. I know it works for you, and I tried every interface, every possibilities. I just can't use it without intense pain.

Even my Poser interface is minimal - white background, white ground, all menus moved to a 2nd screen that is turned off until I need those menus. My workspace is white with the Poser border around it, LOL. Anything else is just too painful.
if you have a second screen you can move tabs over to it in DS also...I used to have the aux view on my second monitor. I also paid for DS but it wasn't $400....with pc membership it was less than a hundred.

I do something similar and move things to a second screen in poser. DS can look however you want it to though it's one of the things I love about it. Even the colours can all be changed.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
if you have a second screen you can move tabs over to it in DS also...I used to have the aux view on my second monitor. I also paid for DS but it wasn't $400....with pc membership it was less than a hundred.

I do something similar and move things to a second screen in poser. DS can look however you want it to though it's one of the things I love about it. Even the colours can all be changed.

I'm sorry, I tried it with both screens. I simply cannot use it without intense pain.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I also paid for DS but it wasn't $400....with pc membership it was less than a hundred.
Yes, I bought DS 3 Advanced, and DS 4.0 Advanced, and both were well under $100. Then again, I was on the beta team for both, so paid even less. I never saw it for $400, but I always was a PC member, so that did make a big difference.

When they finally made DS 4.0 free, I upgraded my Advanced to Pro. I didn't purchase it initially, because back then I was still using PS 7, and didn't have ZBrush, so couldn't use either of the bridges that came with Pro.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
You know, it really is beginning to feel like we're being called liars or something here. I placed my order for DS3A on March 12, 2010. Here are the specifics from the order:
Your order is DAZ order number xxxxxxx
Your order contains:

DAZ Studio 3 Advanced 1 @ $274.98 = $274.98
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Discount: -$22.49
Paid via Gift Cert/Voucher/other credit: ($0.00)
Total: $252.49

=========================================================================
Then I had to purchase the content creation tools separately. I can dig up those invoices as well if I need to.

It was well over $400.00 to create content using DS3A.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees

Can you change the font size yet? font colors?

Miss B

CV-BEE
You know, it really is beginning to feel like we're being called liars or something here. I placed my order for DS3A on March 12, 2010. Here are the specifics from the order:
Your order is DAZ order number xxxxxxx
Your order contains:

DAZ Studio 3 Advanced 1 @ $274.98 = $274.98
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Discount: -$22.49
Paid via Gift Cert/Voucher/other credit: ($0.00)
Total: $252.49

=========================================================================
Then I had to purchase the content creation tools separately. I can dig up those invoices as well if I need to.

It was well over $400.00 to create content using DS3A.
Yes, I bought those tools separately at a later date as well. I was under the impression those who mentioned the $400 price tag, were talking about the software itself, not any addons.

Now that you mention that price relates to the "total" cost of the software AND the creation tools, then I can understand it. The tools weren't cheap, that's for sure. When I first got DS 4.0 Standard, I went and bought the AutoFit tool, and that sucker was $50 all by itself. I don't recall now how much the CCT addons cost, but no, they weren't cheap.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yes, I bought those tools separately at a later date as well. I was under the impression those who mentioned the $400 price tag, were talking about the software itself, not any addons.

Now that you mention that price relates to the "total" cost of the software AND the creation tools, then I can understand it. The tools weren't cheap, that's for sure. When I first got DS 4.0 Standard, I went and bought the AutoFit tool, and that sucker was $50 all by itself. I don't recall now how much the CCT addons cost, but no, they weren't cheap.

I don't remember the exact price, but I do remember Morph Loader Pro just about killed me. LOL!

And the CCT wasn't cheap either, but MLP was outrageous.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't recall the price of the MLP either. Since I wasn't in a rush to create clothes, I took my time getting the addon packs.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I don't recall the price of the MLP either. Since I wasn't in a rush to create clothes, I took my time getting the addon packs.

Yeah, I was trying to learn content creation at the time. I ended up taking my time as well - due to financial considerations. I remember there were 3 pieces, Figure Setup Tools, Morph Loader Pro, and a 3rd one I can't even remember.....

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yeah, I was trying to learn content creation at the time. I ended up taking my time as well - due to financial considerations. I remember there were 3 pieces, Figure Setup Tools, Morph Loader Pro, and a 3rd one I can't even remember.....
Well, I bought the Figure Setup Tools first, which included the Joint Editor, Skeleton Set-Up, CR2 Exporter and Morph Loader. Then eventually I bought the Advanced Setup Tools, which included the Property Editor, Morph Loader Pro and ExP Exporter. I don't recall what else I got as far as the CCT went. Since I bought them at different times, I can't even check my Product Library, as they won't be near each other, and the list is waaaaay too long to go surfing through. ~LOL~

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm sorry, I tried it with both screens. I simply cannot use it without intense pain.
Not a problem Traci...I was just providing information in case you hadn't known.
You know, it really is beginning to feel like we're being called liars or something here.
I'm sorry if something I posted made you feel like this Traci. It was never my intention to make anyone feel like that. I was merely sharing my experience as a pc club member and iirc there were special deals on at the time for if you had bought different things. The price I paid was quite low all things considered. I used to buy a lot from them at one time...rarely missing items.

I think that many people would have different prices due to all the deals and what people owned previously.
Edited to add just for comparison...
Had to go hunting but I found the original order.
Original price $334.95
Discount $267.96
Price I paid $66.99

I had already picked up the base DS4 at around $49 but even adding that in only takes my purchase to just over $100.

Like I said earlier I was a bit of a content junkie back then and bought lots of stuff which often back then led to further discounts. Not something you see so much these days. I also picked up Zbrush at $145 back then and they have just kept doing free upgrades since. That would be one of the best purchases I ever made...

Last edited:

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I would love it you could make the fonts bigger (and the little arrows!). On my big screen, I don't have a problem, but on the little laptop (Which has more memory, and thus I can do more rendering without crashing), I can barely see it, sometimes I change to Highway, so that I can see, but it takes up so much real estate. I just want the words bigger!