• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

eclark1894

Visionary
Hmm... I dunno. Something doesn't look quite right. Might be the kind of girls I've seen lately, but her legs appear too stocky and short for some reason.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmm... I dunno. Something doesn't look quite right. Might be the kind of girls I've seen lately, but her legs appear too stocky and short for some reason.
Could it be the angle of some of Chris' screenshots? Looking down from above her, or looking up from below her, could make some of her proportions seem off.

Hornet3d

Wise
Could it be the angle of some of Chris' screenshots? Looking down from above her, or looking up from below her, could make some of her proportions seem off.

Very true, an old photographers trick was to shot models from a low angle to make their legs look long and slender, of course the high angle has the opposite effect

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
She is the same height and over leg length and size as our existing Dawn SE.

caisson

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Very nice work Chris and it must feel good to get to the end of this part of the journey!

@Ken1171 - just to note on conforming eyelashes that, if my memory isn't completely shot, SM did this for one of their own figures when Steve Cooper was Product Manager (maybe P9/PP2012). They went back to transmapped lashes due to lots of complaints.

Edit - just found the info. Rex and Roxie v1.0 had conforming eyelashes; when they were updated to 1.1 in 2014 these were changed to transmapped lashes - reason given was Face Room compatibility.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Perhaps these Poser figures were not set up correctly. The Genesis 8 figures loads a script in the background that load the eyelashes upon the double click of the figure!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 - just to note on conforming eyelashes that, if my memory isn't completely shot, SM did this for one of their own figures when Steve Cooper was Product Manager (maybe P9/PP2012). They went back to transmapped lashes due to lots of complaints.

Edit - just found the info. Rex and Roxie v1.0 had conforming eyelashes; when they were updated to 1.1 in 2014 these were changed to transmapped lashes - reason given was Face Room compatibility.

Thanks for the info, Caisson! I am surprised if people even know the Face Room exists these days. Besides, it only works with Poser bundled figures, which doesn't include anything from HW or DAZ. I wouldn't worry too much about that. :)

Miki4 has conforming eyelashes, too. I have to find the obj every time I load her. Quite annoying.

I believe if conforming lashes are saved with the preset, they will automatically load with the figure. The user shouldn't have to do anything. The only extra step I can think of from the user side would be in Poser. If a head morph is loaded, the lashes won't follow unless the morph is copied to them. This happens automatically in DS, but not in Poser. To make things worse, SMS decided that only Poser Pro will be able to copy morphs, which still baffles me in this day and age. Using morphs is not a "pro" operation in my book. I never had the standard edition, but I was told that's how it is. So far, that's the only con I could think of.

eclark1894

Visionary
As far as I know, only Roxie and Rex had to be corrected with conforming eyelashes. I can't speak to Pauline and Paul because I don't use them.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I used Pauline and Paul while beta testing some things for Doug Hunter, but never looked to see if they have conforming eyelashes. That's just not something I would ever think of, mostly because I've never used any of the earlier Poser included characters before.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I've never used any of the earlier Poser included characters before.

Yup, same with me. That's why I would like to hear from people who actually used figures with conforming lashes to see the pros and cons. I have mentioned some of the pros, but to me that's just theory that makes sense to me. I know Genesis 8 has conforming lashes, but I suppose people who make contents for her are not here. I will ask around to see if I can get first hand experience with this. Or perhaps Paul already has an opinion based on his own experience?

HandspanStudios

New-Bee
Contributing Artist
Yes, Paul has been reviewing this thread. I got him the new Dawn mesh last night. He plans to incorporate ideas here in this thread for sure. He's going to do some regrouping with less groups as you've mentioned here in this thread.
Bear in mind that skin groups are used by we who make morphs to keep one part separated from another.

M

Male-M3dia

With seven Genesis 8 products in my store with about 7 head shapes a piece, I have experience with making 49 head shapes with conforming lashes. If that previous conversation about my experience was deleted, then that conversation was not important. You can always buy one of my standalone products to see what's involved in setting a product with conforming lashes up and see if that effort sways the decision whether to use conforming lashes or not.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
With seven Genesis 8 products in my store with about 7 head shapes a piece, I have experience with making 49 head shapes with conforming lashes.

The basic question is if you think conforming lashes are a good or a bad thing for content creators. I have worked in many private commissions sculpting G8F, but none on the face, so I have no G8F experience there. In theory I can think of very good reasons why it should be a good thing, but that's just in theory. I have already listed what I think the good side is, but are there major drawbacks? Now would be a good time to mention them.

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A question for folks regarding jaw group. Having a separate group allows for easy selection in the viewport. I was going to make the selection smaller around the chin area, but wanted to here from you about pros and cons...Which do we prefer, selection group or ghost bone?