• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Lyne said: Dawn 2 WILL work in Poser 2014, right?)
I'm guessing Alisa comment "Paul can best answer whether Dawn 2 will contain features that are only available in Poser 11.2" refers to Control Handles (which are a series of ghost bones which can be used for things like facial expressions, for example).

Yep, that kind of thing :)

PS Is Poser 11 backwards compatible ie: for full functionality of our Animals and clothing for Dawn S.E.?

You definitely will be able to use them all in Poser 11.2

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Did you check in your account to see if the notifications option wasn't accidentally turned off?

I get notifications from other threads - just not this one. It claims I am "watching" it, though. I will try unwatching and watching again. Maybe that does the trick.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ahhhhh, OK. I have notifications turned off because I'm always here, and I check out all forums a few times a day, so it's not likely I'll miss something.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
New features like Control Handles and Superfly support, Poser 2014 will, without question, totally ignore. I'm guessing Alisa comment "Paul can best answer whether Dawn 2 will contain features that are only available in Poser 11.2" refers to Control Handles (which are a series of ghost bones which can be used for things like facial expressions, for example).
This perplexes me - ghost bones and control handles are not really new. I have content designed for the old Generation 2 Mike/Viki, and more for Generation 3 that makes extensive use of ghost bones and handles on conforming clothing, hair, and even some other items - all functional as far back as Poser 4. For a long time this was commonly done by multiple creators, but then seemed to fade away. In an ancient forum lost to the ages I had posted a thread proposing adding additional ghost bones and controllers to an existing figure for on-the-fly control of muscles and facial features -but it was argued and flamed out of existance (despite this being common practice in the much higher end production fields of cinema).

Well, I've got notified of your post after resetting the "watching" flag, so that fixes it. :)
I have noticed that for some reason with this newer forum software if you go a length of time without replying it stops notifying you of new posts on a thread. I am unsure why.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This perplexes me - ghost bones and control handles are not really new. I have content designed for the old Generation 2 Mike/Viki, and more for Generation 3 that makes extensive use of ghost bones and handles on conforming clothing, hair, and even some other items - all functional as far back as Poser 4. For a long time this was commonly done by multiple creators, but then seemed to fade away. In an ancient forum lost to the ages I had posted a thread proposing adding additional ghost bones and controllers to an existing figure for on-the-fly control of muscles and facial features -but it was argued and flamed out of existance (despite this being common practice in the much higher end production fields of cinema).

A body handle on the face or on a dress are basically the same thing, and have been used for as long as I can remember in both Poser and DS.

HOWEVER, Poser 11 has introduced new things I haven't seen being used with body handles before. We can see some of this in LaFemme's rig, like the pectoral body handles can pose the breasts, and also scale them if using the scaling tool, or translate them if the translation tool is active. The nose can be posed, and also repositioned and scaled depending on what tool is active when we move the body handle. I have seen body handles being used for posing (bending) before, but scaling and translating on the same handle is new on my book. This triples the amount of things one can do with a single body handle, depending on what tool is currently selected - and this is new in Poser 11.

So yes, body handles are old stuff, but what Poser 11 can do with them is something new. And what's more, I don't know if these things can be done in DS. For example, Poser 11 has introduced smooth translations as a new feature, meaning there are new weight maps just to control geometry stretching and compression on joint translations that might not exist in DS. LaFemme uses these things freely because she's Poser-only, but Dawn 2 is a different story. This might be a case where she may not benefit from all the new things P11 can do with body handles because the DS version has to be able to do the same.

Having that said, a facial rig created in Poser 11 can potentially be incompatible with previous versions if it uses some of the new features introduced in this version, and also may not be reproduceable in DS. There are, however, some creative ways of using body handles on a face rig, like for example, using them to drive morphs (JCM) and traditional bending at the same time. This is nothing new, but it hasn't been used as much as it should in both platforms.

I have noticed that for some reason with this newer forum software if you go a length of time without replying it stops notifying you of new posts on a thread. I am unsure why.

Ooh, it could be. But now I know what to do when that happens. Just reset the "watch" flag and it starts dispatching notifications again. :)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Workin on the extremely obese morph now.

Uberwork227.JPG

Uberwork228.JPG

eclark1894

Visionary
That looks great. Can't wait to see the full body. Don't forget a little flab and sag on the arms. In fact, and (only judging from what I've seen in the past) lot of fat morphs show the mesh as one solid person, like a filled water balloon, when I can tell you from personal experience that most obese people have a lot of skin folds.

Last edited:

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I love it, this opens up a whole section of my mind. Idea's for poses are flowing out.
Can't wait to get my greedy little fingers on her.....that doesn't sound right does it?! :rolleyes::unsure:

eclark1894

Visionary
That's because the knees or upper thighs cause the fold. I suppose it'd be nice to have that morph included for a sitting position, though.