• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
more to the specifics of using bulge maps, since the calf and back of the thigh would not only move inward when colliding, they move outward from the sides under compression. We would have to set up opposing bulge maps to simulate both directions, since a single map can only be assigned a single direction.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The plan is to have a set of flexion morphs to simulate muscle movements, and compression morphs to simulate collisions. Each set will be linked to its own master dial so content creators can turn them off all at once.
Thank you Paul, that's going to be very welcome by many content creators, as well as end users such as myself. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The plan is to have a set of flexion morphs to simulate muscle movements, and compression morphs to simulate collisions. Each set will be linked to its own master dial so content creators can turn them off all at once.

So this will be like optional morphs instead of JCMs? I guess anything is better than JCMs. LOL

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Technically they are jcms which you will have options for...lol. the great thing about Poser and DS is they both give us the ability to transfer morphs, which makes it much easier to create clothing and get jcms transferred. I do not miss the days of manually making jcms for clothing.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It is very true that we have the option to transfer morphs, even though in Poser you need the "Pro" version to do that. This is one of the reasons why I think Rendo is doing the Poser community a huge favor by offering the Pro version at reduced price, so everybody can have access to this essential feature.

However, DS does this much better than Poser. It applies some kind of smoothing mechanism that Poser lacks, producing a *much* cleaner shape that in most cases doesn't even need cleaning up. Poser, on the other hand, introduces TONS of noise distortion when transferring morphs, which we have to clean up with the Morphing Tool or external application like zBrush. With TriAx rigging, we have to repeat this for 5+ weight maps for every joint in the clothing, which includes the 3 axes, plus the bulge maps. Yes, even the bulge maps get distorted.

So it's great to be able to transfer morphs, including JCMs, but the amount of distortion we get when doing this in Poser is something to write home about. Attempting to restore the original shapes of small details like buckles and buttons may not be for the faint of heart - especially when it comes to JCMs. This is one reason why I like Dawn so much - she has only a couple of JCMs on the thighs, and that's it. Except for the thighs, it's amazing how well she poses considering that.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yay, the inner mouth, teeth, gums, and tongue are now UVed.

Just the lashes and eyeballs left. Piece of cake. Then... I can get the UVs off to Paul to add to our latest Dawn 2. Then, yes then... I can get back to the good stuff of getting all morphs optimized for Dawn 2, and create new and improved morphs that will make her even more amazing. Oh, can't wait.

I'll also get what I hope will be the last pass of fixes done on our HiveWire Wolf morph. Oh, that's going to be good too.

Dawn2Work206.JPG

Dawn2Work207.JPG

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder

Just the lashes and eyeballs left. Piece of cake. Then... I can get the UVs off to Paul to add to our latest Dawn 2. Then, yes then... I can get back to the good stuff of getting all morphs optimized for Dawn 2, and create new and improved morphs that will make her even more amazing. Oh, can't wait.

I'll also get what I hope will be the last pass of fixes done on our HiveWire Wolf morph. Oh, that's going to be good too.

View attachment 49005

View attachment 49006
Sweeeeet! Nice work, Chris!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

You can't wait?????? Can you imagine how we feel?????? :snoopydance:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Awesome, Chis! I see the new tear line UV shells taking a bit of the UV space from the eyes. Those are small differences, but it looks like some Dawn textures won't work with the new one without some adjustments. Would you know by now which textures will remain compatible?

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
As you see in the video, we have no movement in the crotch area, and we have a good even distribution of the weights along the bottom of the thigh, to minimize stretching. I am working on the bulge maps to decrease the collapse at the top near the hip, to lesson the crease. And I still have to adjust for the thigh side in. Overall a much improved joint rotation over our original Dawn and we are not even done tweaking yet.

Last edited: