• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Underway

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Folks, not overly concerned just yet about placement of fingernails and toenails. We'll pass all this UV work by a couple of other artists that do detailed nail designs. We'll get their input as to what they prefer as well.

More progress this morning on Leg UVs. Onto the foot and toes now.

Dawn2Work196.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Some of the nail effects in real life are really amazing and although I don't make them myself I think that it would be nice to have the option for others to make them so I can use them. If you're interesting in seeing some of the effects have a look at my collection on pinterest https://www.pinterest.com.au/pendraia/nails/ they do some amazing things these days.

Wow, that is some crazy cool stuff there Pen. What variety and talent on display.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Sorry...that torso UV map reminded me of that silver shape shifter in one of the Terminator movies. When he was attacked and split in half from his head down to the torso, then came back together. :oops: :laugh: No offense. It's odd the things that enter my mind, sometimes.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's awesome how Chris makes each of these shells take as much UV space as possible, with very little waste. That's harder than it seems. The only exception seems to be the nails because they are sharing UV space with the arms. They could have much more UV space if they were in their own map, filling the entire space. I never gave it much thought about why DawnSE has the nails in their own map, but now it makes sense.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I liked how Dawn had separate Nail maps but I'm pretty sure all the other models out there have them on the arm/leg maps

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I liked how Dawn had separate Nail maps but I'm pretty sure all the other models out there have them on the arm/leg maps

I can't speak for all figures, but I was working on a commission job on Genesis 3 today, and the nails are in their own map.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
well it must have been a G3 that had its own uv because I just looked and V4 through to V8 have the nails and limbs on the same map (some have just arms/fingernails on their own map and others have legs/arms/nail on a single map) also La Femme has the nails with the limbs.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I didn't remember that about V4, but yes, the fingernails and toenails were squeezed into a little tiny space on the limbs, which contained both legs and arms.

I really prefer the nails on a separate template as with the current Dawn. It makes it so much easier to do designs on a larger surface. I can't imagine trying to create something with any intricacy on the V4 templates. I also prefer having the arms and legs are separate templates.

But ... that's me.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Okay then folks, how about this set up for UVs? Any better?

Arms are separate. Legs are separate. Fingernails and toenails are combined with the fingernails on top.

I still plan on yet another template to support a long fingernails morph. So that a texture design can be done with minimal stretching of the map.

Dawn2Work201.JPG

Dawn2Work202.JPG

Dawn2Work203.JPG

Dawn2Work204.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I still plan on yet another template to support a long fingernails morph. So that a texture design can be done with minimal stretching of the map.
YES!!! I like my gals to have long nails, with a solid color setup that's not a problem, but if you want a design of any kind, stretching does become an issue.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Okay then folks, how about this set up for UVs? Any better?

Arms are separate. Legs are separate. Fingernails and toenails are combined with the fingernails on top.

Awesome, I personally think this is better! A template for long fingernails sounds great, too! I don't remember ever seeing this before. :)

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here is a look at the knee bend. In the video I am adjusting weights for the knee to maintain the knee cap shape throughout the bend. We will be adding flexion and compression morphs that will be attached to master dials, in order to turn them on and off at once. This will give us the more believable bends like the reference image in the video.

Knee Bend WIP

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Soooo, by compression morphs you're referring to the calf muscle when it intersects with the back of the thigh? That's one thing I've never liked in all the years I've been playing with 3D characters. There are some vendors at Renderosity who have created corrective packs for this sort of thing, but I would love to see it built in to a character from the get-go.

Other than that, the knee bends are looking great Paul. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I wonder if that back of the thigh compression could be done with bulge maps, or if it would require a JCM?

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While a version using bulge maps is possible, the issue of verts moving toward the joint center would limit how far up the thigh and down the calf you could go. With morphs you can get the specific results you want. It is why I didn’t go further up the top of the thigh to simulate muscle stretching.

The plan is to have a set of flexion morphs to simulate muscle movements, and compression morphs to simulate collisions. Each set will be linked to its own master dial so content creators can turn them off all at once.