• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Chatter

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
many British mags were out then giving free apps and DAZ content for Poser to readers. I stopped buying them ALL after a while. GOT too expensive and was taking up too much space on the shelves on my over bloated library. I am amazed how much money I have saved in apps and content these last 10 years. THough of late been spending a lot more on .......well....OTHER STUFF.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I've never been much of a fan of Photoshop, though I use it from time to time when I have a freelance job (because that's what most printers/clients have). What I use is Corel Painter. I got my first copy back in 1990 when it was owned by Fractal Design and called "Sketcher" (a b/w version Painter). Painter v1 came a year later. Being a fan of those programs I also tried their "new" program Poser in 1995 and was hooked.

What I love about painter is its natural media brushes. Coming from a traditional art background-- the tools feel like the real thing.
It was the first painting program that made sense to me. I'm now a Photoshop user and for only $10.00 a month totally worth it to me. I've really really tried to like the GIMP and even Serifs newly branded Affinity Photo but both lack features I use all the time!

eclark1894

Visionary
It was the first painting program that made sense to me. I'm now a Photoshop user and for only $10.00 a month totally worth it to me. I've really really tried to like the GIMP and even Serifs newly branded Affinity Photo but both lack features I use all the time!
Like what?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Also there is a very interesting discussion over at DAZ3D forums about HD morphs. They are just that. HD morphs created more than likely in ZBrush or similar program. These are NOT using Normal maps in allot of the cases and found that render times and VRAM usage was actually much lower. SO not sure if anyone can develop a way to create Hi Def morphs without maps for Poser but in order to compete it may be worth a look at this!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Like what?
Layer Styles box, very convenient as allot of the useful enhancement tools are gathered together there and you can turn off and on things you want in the blink of an eye with real time previews happening in the main work area as your going along.

The color selection tool needs ALLOT of work in GIMP. If I select a stripe of blue but it's variations of that same color blue running through the stripe doesn't matter how much I mess with the Tools settings I can't get a smooth selection of that color. PS beats GIMP at both of those areas and they are tools I used DAILY!

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Also there is a very interesting discussion over at DAZ3D forums about HD morphs. They are just that. HD morphs created more than likely in ZBrush or similar program. These are NOT using Normal maps in allot of the cases and found that render times and VRAM usage was actually much lower. SO not sure if anyone can develop a way to create Hi Def morphs without maps for Poser but in order to compete it may be worth a look at this!

You can make HD morphs for poser, fairly easy and also if im not mistaken with the morph brush. The downside is that you cannot get the detail outside the program. Some like to render in say blender etc. I myself prefer maps.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Agreed. There is some published artists info that the DAZ folks have to get that to work correctly that we are not privy too so yea, maps or no HD morphs!

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Agreed. There is some published artists info that the DAZ folks have to get that to work correctly that we are not privy too so yea, maps or no HD morphs!
HD morphs you do on the subd figure in poser. Set it to 3 and then use Goz with the option to Bake Down.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
What i like about maps is., i can paint and sculpt the hell out of them. I do not think it is possible to do veins etc on an HD morph. I do know that you can convert HD morphs to normal maps. Saw that once in a thread.

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
What i like about maps is., i can paint and sculpt the hell out of them. I do not think it is possible to do veins etc on an HD morph. I do know that you can convert HD morphs to normal maps. Saw that once in a thread.
You can do veins but it requires the figure to be at subd Lv 3 at minimum to look good. Just scale up the figure to 2000 in poser before using Goz, when back in poser again scale the figure down to 100.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
You can make HD morphs for poser, fairly easy and also if im not mistaken with the morph brush. The downside is that you cannot get the detail outside the program. Some like to render in say blender etc. I myself prefer maps.

There seams to be some confusion about HD in Poser. High Density mesh is just that. High polycount. You can sculpt on a high density mesh in whatever program you wish to use. Just don't change vertex order or polycount bringing it back in as a morph for your figure. The resulting sculpt of your figure can be sent to Blender or whatever software you care to render in. It has nothing to do with maps or anything else. DS I don't use. How they do it I have no idea but it is not some magic. Normal, bump, or any other map cannot move geometry that isn't there. For the time being there is no micropoly displacement in Superfly or Poser's included Cycles implementation so expecting maps to create such effects on a low poly mesh is doomed to cause disappointment.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
You can do veins but it requires the figure to be at subd Lv 3 at minimum to look good. Just scale up the figure to 2000 in poser before using Goz, when back in poser again scale the figure down to 100.
It would be nice if there were a script that could be created to set up a figure for HD work in and out of ZBrush! I know that ZBrush native is Cinema 4D scale as I use that scale for my work in DAZ Studio all the time.

Ghostman

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
It would be nice if there were a script that could be created to set up a figure for HD work in and out of ZBrush! I know that ZBrush native is Cinema 4D scale as I use that scale for my work in DAZ Studio all the time.
So you want a script that set the subd level and scale the figure up? Takes 2 sec to do manually.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think folks that are just getting into content creation for Poser would appreciate something like that as it would ease their minds about exporting and importing of their new morphs to Poser, esp if they are working in a higher subD level!