• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Dawn 2.0 Chatter

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK folks, I've moved the posts you've made the past few days in the Dawn 2.0 thread, so we can return it back to Chris as he continues to work on Dawn 2.0.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Ok these are not beauty renders lol. But this is how the feet are going to look. I have only plugged the diffuse maps and the normal maps. No shaders. With proper sss shaders and specular the legs will look much softer.

I particularly like how the veins look on the feet. They work with every texture.

Attachments

• feetrenders.jpg
    feetrenders.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 194

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Ok these are not beauty renders lol. But this is how the feet are going to look. I have only plugged the diffuse maps and the normal maps. No shaders. With proper sss shaders and specular the legs will look much softer.

I particularly like how the veins look on the feet. They work with every texture.

Looks very promising. Much needed.

eclark1894

Visionary

Are you going to do them I-ray or Superfly, or both?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Most important is that you render normals with gamma of 1 in Poser. Diffuse maps should be saved as sRGB in Poser aswell as in Daz Studio.

Superfly is a slower renderer than Iray. But if you optimize the materials like they should in a bpr environnement they render faster( less to convert to bpr values for your render engine).
It's wonderful to have your knowledge and skill added to the project AND that you are willing to share and detail your "how to's". Thank you!

McG.

Enthusiast
Hi folks! Been a bit out of touch the last two years. Getting a better handle on dealing with diabetes issues now. SO, Dawn 2.0 isn't out yet. But what I see in this thread elevates her right on UP there. Thank You to ALL of you working on Dawn 2.0! Can't wait to get her into my Runtime!

I use PP 2014 and PP 11. Just did me a "Birthday Build" of my PC. It really NEEDED it as 12 years was just too long. I got the Umph to GO now :D
McG.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
What's the difference between RGB and sRGB?
That is a good one and a bit beyond my language skills and comprehension skills. But it is a color profile invented by Microsoft and Adobe.

You have different color profiles, RGB, sRGB adobergb, cymk and a lot more. They all show a different range of colors. SRGB shows the least and is also the color profile of your monitor. Is sRGB less than others? Not at all. Most pictures are on the internet are saved in sRGB.

sRGB is the color space of the monitor. That is, it's the "color palette" the monitor is able to use to show you any picture.

Most people cna hardly see the difference. But in a bpr renderer like iray it is important to save textures as sRGB, they render better, less scratches and noise. And easier to tone map (tone mapping is btw not the same as postwork).

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
If you are not working with sRGB profile on textures you will get wrong result while rendering them later in Iray
a lot of people haven issues with displacement and normal as they created them in Photoshop not in sRGB space and later run into problems . sRGB color profile is much darker and less saturated than other color profile like for media and printing , it is recommended to have the same sRGB profile for your monitor and Photoshop
and if you edit pictures videos or other media it is another story , as we are talking about texturing for PBR.

That is the real reason. You see skin is actually gray on the surface. The color we get from beneath it and the melanin.

We try to replicate that in 3D space, so you should avoid saturated colors, like we did in poser 4 and up to 11 and 3Dl.

I have said this often but most people won't listen lol, the colors come from the blood maps. They give the 3d skin the direction of blood flow and thus where we will be redder and where not. Also thickness maps and sss maps. Iray has this a bit better covered than superfly( still both not much to my liking) although you can of course create your own mdl skin files.

In bpr you have to forget everything you learned regarding texturing and rendering. You should handle it now as you are a photographer. It works exactly the same.

So shiny skin or objects are not good when you take a picture of them.

For instance. In an audio booth/studio Singers often place soft furniture. This is to replicate the bouncing of the resonance. If you take then away it will sound less round and a bit dead. Same goes for photos. Only we want the dead surface lol. So we need to strip as much as possible from the photo ( sss, translucency, specular, shadows) and add them later through our renderer.

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
Here is a skin study i did a while back. The middle map is the diffuse, I shouldve made it a bit more gray. The one on the left is translucency map, based on a blood map) real blood maps are very red, but in iray we use something else for this} The veins should go on the translucency map and not really the diffuse maps. I have some on the diffuse map, they are very shallow, it didn't bother me.

Attachments

• skinstudy.jpg
    skinstudy.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 196

Aylaaenas_Evenwing

Adventurous
It's wonderful to have your knowledge and skill added to the project AND that you are willing to share and detail your "how to's". Thank you!

How tos, are important. I hope by sharing information people will share information to me too. These are not secrets. Everybody can find them on the internet. The problem is, you need to find a way to translate it for your renderer, that is a bit of a bummer and not everything is available for Poser or Dazstudio yet. Sometimes you have to combine some stuff.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So loaded up my face skin for L'Homme and not seeing an option to convert to sRGB in Photoshop...

sRGB not seeing the option to convert.png