• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Personally I do feel it may be a bit too short, I also feel considering how long its been availble you have really got a pretty good grip on it. I use to love using Garibaldi but haven't touched it since Iray and I need a lot more practice just to remind myself how to do the things I use to do, and I couldn't ever get a decent animal fur from it.

Here is another experiment using Strand Based Hair on "HiveWire House Cat" in Daz Studio 4.11 and Iray. This time I tried some improvements and to make the short hair a little bit longer. No post work

Attachments

• CatStrand02.jpg
    CatStrand02.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 576

L'Adair

Enthusiast
I thought I would share my first attempt at using Strand Based Hair on "HiveWire House Cat" in Daz Studio 4.11 and Iray. No post work
Since I am not a DAZ PA I couldn't make it dForce Strand Based Hair, but I don't think it would make much difference on this short hair version. I would be so grateful for any feedback on how I could improve it.

I have cats with relatively short hair, and it usually lies a bit closer to the body, smoother than what you have in this image. That's an observation, not a criticism. I'd be doing handstands if I could create something this good for cats, or any other animal!

I have cats with relatively short hair, and it usually lies a bit closer to the body, smoother than what you have in this image. That's an observation, not a criticism. I'd be doing handstands if I could create something this good for cats, or any other animal!
Thank you, I probably need to get the "awn" and "guard" hairs to lay flatter. I have been trying to do these experiments without brushing the hair just to get a good base. Maybe a little brushy brushy would be all that is needed :)

L'Adair

Enthusiast
Sorry I didn't mean to spam this thread. I don't seem to be able to delete my posts.
I didn't mean to imply that. I think we are all interested in the Strand-Based Hair and what we can do with it. And especially what you've been able to accomplish. Seemed like a good idea to create a place where we can run with it

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Welcome, Joe! Please feel free to post here as I am just starting to try to get a handle on the new SBH after only fairly recently finally getting really comfortable with LAMH:) (figures.. I just get one thing learned and now have to learn something else new right away :-/

Your work is a lot better than mine so far on the SBH - but then I did just start messing with it yesterday:) I am really struggling with it making so many dark shadows, which get worse with more hair density etc, and I've been trying various lighting scenarios from good old SunSky to various HDRIs etc. I zapped the root darkness and all those settings to 0/everything is white based but still it never looks like your renders, especially your last cat one.

I for one welcome any suggestions you have and I will do the same as I learn. I have been following the thread over at Daz and picking up stuff from there as well as looking at the old Garbaldi documentation.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL I had been feeling like LAMH really was/is designed more for animals/fur and Garibaldi more for human usage, but you're proving that wrong, Joe:) At this point I am still liking LAMH better for my own personal work. Gonna keep slugging away at SBH as I have time though. I am so backed up on texturing projects....!!!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So I spent today at the Wild Animal Sanctuary here in Colorado- an amazing place! It is a sanctuary for rescued wild animals (primarily lions, tigers, bears and wolves) to live a much more normal life after being rescued from circuses around the world and some very odd and terrible places/incidents/abuses. I was able to get a lot of very good photos of their beautiful tigers for our 3d Tiger I am texturing (slowly but surely:)

Here is one of their beautiful tigers and one of their handsome lions.

Tiger2.jpg
Lion5.jpg

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
So I spent today at the Wild Animal Sanctuary here in Colorado- an amazing place! It is a sanctuary for rescued wild animals (primarily lions, tigers, bears and wolves) to live a much more normal life after being rescued from circuses around the world and some very odd and terrible places/incidents/abuses. I was able to get a lot of very good photos of their beautiful tigers for our 3d Tiger I am texturing (slowly but surely:)

Here is one of their beautiful tigers and one of their handsome lions.

View attachment 47708 View attachment 47709
Awe!! ... Lucky you !! =)....... hmmm........... once that is out I can do Tiger in Lilies!! Would have loved to have gone!! =) I didn't realize lions were so furry underneath!

Harimau

Eager
Here are a couple of beautiful pictures of big cats. They are scans of handcoloured lithographed plates taken from one of the nineteenth century big folio pictorial books, "A Monograph of the Felidae or Family of Cats" by Daniel Giraud Elliott. The plates are from drawings by Joseph Wolf and lithographed by his friend, Joseph Smit. This book is, I think, one of the most beautiful on the subject with 43 lithographed plates. It costs a small fortune and is, of course, out of my reach.

A_monograph_of_the_Felidae_or_family_of_the_cats.By_Daniel_Giraud_Elliot-Image-004.jpg

A_monograph_of_the_Felidae_or_family_of_the_cats.By_Daniel_Giraud_Elliot-Image-002.jpg

L'Adair

Enthusiast
And the cougar now has fur! Excellent!
Saw this and ran straight for the store. Bought the presets immediately.

And then put them to work!

This is a WIP, an image testing the framed image props I'll be using in another image, but I thought I'd share them here as they won't be so predominant in the final scene. The three scenes were all rendered in 3Delight, and post work was done in Photoshop to add both a canvas-like texture and a bit of stylization.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Nice triptch! You should enter this in Llola Lane's render a month challenge at DAZ forums or pfdlives forums. I'm sure I've seen you at one or both. Or did you already submit one this month? I lose track.