• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Complete Guide to Animation in Poser by Nerd3D - Webinar Discussion

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder

Neil

New-Bee
This came out pretty good!

eclark1894

Visionary
Glad I went to the webinar yesterday. For some reason, editing and music never even entered my mind when thinking of animation. But now that I know better, I'm adding listings for Royalty free music and video editing software to the Poser Content directory. You can follow my signature link to find it online. The new listings will be under the mocap and BVH animation files listing.

A quick note though for anyone who may not know what "Royalty-free" means. While some of the music can be downloaded for free or purchased:
Royalty-free, or RF, refers to the right to use copyright material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees for each use, per each copy or volume sold or some time period of use or sales.

This definition also covers images and movies that may bedownloaded from the Internet. Don't assume that just because it is on the Internet and available for downloading that it is Royalty-free. If you can't find mention of it anywhere, assume that it is NOT Royalty-free.

jtarrier

New-Bee
Glad I went to the webinar yesterday. For some reason, editing and music never even entered my mind when thinking of animation. But now that I know better, I'm adding listings for Royalty free music and video editing software to the Poser Content directory. You can follow my signature link to find it online. The new listings will be under the mocap and BVH animation files listing.

A quick note though for anyone who may not know what "Royalty-free" means. While some of the music can be downloaded for free or purchased:
Royalty-free, or RF, refers to the right to use copyright material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees for each use, per each copy or volume sold or some time period of use or sales.

This definition also covers images and movies that may bedownloaded from the Internet. Don't assume that just because it is on the Internet and available for downloading that it is Royalty-free. If you can't find mention of it anywhere, assume that it is NOT Royalty-free.

Absolutely right. If you want to see some horror stories about what happens if you use an image without the appropriate license just Google "getty image letter"

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Definitely, Bonnie. Chuck has so much knowledge and he's an awesome teacher (go look at the official SM videos - most of them are done by him), but there's so much information!

Welcome to any new folks. We hope you'll stick around our forums :)

Here's the remaining questions from Session 2:-

Dirty Duck asked:-

How can you composite 2d animation within poser?

From Ben Ortiz to All panelists and attendees: (09:26 pm)
I have struggled using Hiro 4's Talk Designer. His lips won't even move for me. I did make sure I selected his head.

From ruscular to All panelists: (09:52 pm)
is there a way to assign the toon line around the eye a separate toon ID line?

From Daniel to All panelists and attendees: (09:52 pm)
Do you find it's better to make a long animated render, or create several short animated segments and stitch them together in a different program?

From Michael to All panelists: (09:55 pm)
Charles, can you speak a bit about what PC specs give the biggests boost to rendering speed; e.g., GB of memory on the PC, best Video Card & GB mem, PC Processer, etc. Thank you.

From Kilari to All panelists: (09:55 pm)
Is it possible to have a future webinar for rendering out texture methods similair to 'Archer' & "Batman: Tell Tale' animations ?

From Dennis Brickell to All panelists: (09:57 pm)
Where do you turn camera animation off?

Nerd3D

Motivated
Contributing Artist
Dirty Duck asked:-

How can you composite 2d animation within poser?

Import the existing animation as a background movie in Poser. However the preferred method would be to composite them in your Video Editing Software.

From Ben Ortiz to All panelists and attendees: (09:26 pm)
I have struggled using Hiro 4's Talk Designer. His lips won't even move for me. I did make sure I selected his head.

Most likely the Viseme file needs to be edited so the correct morphs are being used.

From ruscular to All panelists: (09:52 pm)
is there a way to assign the toon line around the eye a separate toon ID line?

Yes there is. I wanted to go deeper on this as part of asset preparation. It's done with the grouping tool. Essentially you can create a new material zone around the eye lid. The quick way will be to add the (Whatever the eye socket material is called) and then grow the selection a couple of edger loops. Then assign that group a new material. You can use the same trick to create a line around the lips.

From Daniel to All panelists and attendees: (09:52 pm)
Do you find it's better to make a long animated render, or create several short animated segments and stitch them together in a different program?

Short sequences are almost always easier to work with. The cells form a story board (or graphic novel) become short scenes.

From Michael to All panelists: (09:55 pm)
Charles, can you speak a bit about what PC specs give the biggests boost to rendering speed; e.g., GB of memory on the PC, best Video Card & GB mem, PC Processer, etc. Thank you.

Everything ... The more of everything the better. No less than 4 GB video memory. System memory as much as you can afford no less than 8 GB. 32 if you can afford it. And the fastest and most cores you can afford processor. At least 4 core with hyper-threading for 8 virtual cores. You should also probably have SSD over convention Hard Drive. Dual GPU won't benefit Poser. It's not optimized to use multiple GPUs.
The Graphics card really comes into play for SuperFly and Preview renders while the CPU is key to posing speed and FireFly renders. SuperFly also supports CPU renders so obviously raw CPU power is critical there. I use nVidia and Intel but that's a personal preference.

From Kilari to All panelists: (09:55 pm)
Is it possible to have a future webinar for rendering out texture methods similair to 'Archer' & "Batman: Tell Tale' animations ?

I love Archer ... Phrasing. The comic mode we covered is pretty close to that style just using more realistic figures. Some of the "ink" lines need to be included in the textures used on the characters and clothes.

From Dennis Brickell to All panelists: (09:57 pm)
Where do you turn camera animation off?

Next to the camera "ball" there s key icon. Click that. When it's red animation is off.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm only sorry we didn't get to discuss the best way to convert BVH and mocap files to Poser figures. Do you have to do it by hand or is there a python script or software that will do a good job? I know Cage has a BVH script, but I've never used it.