1. We are upgrading to a 2.0 version of our forum as this 1.5 version is no longer supported. Please look at your bookmarks if you have them and note them in a text document as the import process for bookmarks may not work correctly. We will have bookmarks in the 2.0 version so you will be able to recreate whatever may be lost in the upgrade. Everything else appears to have come across fine in our initial tests. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Building my portfolio

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by Dan30, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Doesn't matter how good we get I think we tend to want to get better...and it's definitely not in your imagination.;)

Bonnie2001 and Dan30 like this.
  2. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

I think that is true and we are all trying to push our skills to the limits, I guess you only know your true limits when you surpass them or fail in the attempt. That is something I find great here at Hivewire and other places where people are active and hang around, you get to see them grow and their renders and their skills improve. If nothing else it spurs the rest of us on.

Pendraia, CWRW and Dan30 like this.
  3. Bonnie2001

Bonnie2001 Extraordinary

Absolutely true!

Pendraia and Dan30 like this.
  4. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

A shot from my recent photo safari. And guess what!? I ran into the HW Lions family, bringing their cubs to cool at the water source. :laugh: So that's how I called it: "Bringing the cubs to the water" Hope you like it and thank you for viewing.
    Oh, and as you can see, the lion spotted our hiding place...:lol:

upload_2018-6-30_20-41-18.jpeg

5. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

Beautiful scene. What's the background?

6. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

I was wondering what Papa Lion was looking at. ;)

7. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

Love it Dan!!! Love seeing you using the lions! Next to horses (and long before horses:) they are my passion!

Dan30 likes this.
  8. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

@JOdel
    Thank you JOdel. Well, the backround is not exactly a backround per say, it's an HDR image. It's free and it's from here: HDRIs: All | HDRI Haven

9. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you Laurie. I kind of know as I remember a picture you posted with you holding a lion cub in your arms. I do love the big felines as well. Great job on the digital lions too.:applause:

CWRW likes this.
  10. Miss B

I have a number of their free HDRis. My problem was finding one of the African Savannah, or more specifically the Serengeti. Not so easy.

11. JOdel

Ah. I've never used an HDRI.

12. Miss B

It's nice to work with. I'm not sure how they work in DS, but I can't imagine they aren't that much different than using them in Poser. Snarly Gribbly wrote a nice script that utilizes an EnvSphere by BagginsBill, and once you select the HDRi image you want to use, it's placed on the inner EnvSphere. Then you select to add a "sun" light, and the HDRi's info file will place it on the outer EnvSphere so that it's in conjunction with the light source in the background image.

Here's an example I posted in the Dusk render thread last March. You can see how the sun is shining on Dusk from the same direction as in the background Tropical Beach image.

Dusk Strolling the Beach

13. JOdel

Just in case no one has pointed it out, your submission to the Open Rendering Contest has been one of the scrolling banners over in the DAZ home page for some days now.

14. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you JOdel for pointing this out. I also noticed it a few days ago. Actually, this is the third time they run one of my images. What can I say, other that I feel flattered. I am particularly pleased about them running this one since it carries that environmental message. Indeed, it yielded a positive response, a lot of people appreciating it.

15. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

In my pursuit towards enhanced realism, I put together this visual story I called Rejoicing Over a Successful Hunt. Please feel free to join in and imagine what happens next.:laugh:
    Hope you like it at least as much as I enjoyed making it. So here it is:

upload_2018-7-18_7-30-22.jpeg

16. Miss B

Nicely done Dan. Very nicely done. :)

17. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Impressive work, as usual! Your scenes' lighting never ceases to amaze...

Dan30 likes this.
  18. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

Nice scene, beautiful lighting.

19. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you very much to all.:thankyou:

20. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Nicely done. May I ask how you managed to pose the animal on the horse so realistically?