• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Anime Girl Kristin 2.0

theschell

Brilliant
While I wait for my other project to go through beta-testing, I've gone back to work on an incomplete update of my Anime Girl Kristin that I'd started on before my site closed. I'd intended to release an updated version of her but never got the chance. Improvements will include tweaks to her basic rigging, added body shaping morphs, ERC controlled facial expressions and hand gestures, ERC dialed character presets, and (hopefully) an ERC controlled walk cycle... I'm also improving textures and bump maps and tweaking material and surface values. It will be a long process as I also intend to update her clothing and accessories to match the improvements in the base figure before I release her again...

This image was rendered in DS 4.7 using her improved textures and bump maps...
Day on the Beach.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Moved this to the Freebie section :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
She's a cutie! Is she going to be available for Poser as well? Curious minds want to know. ;)

theschell

Brilliant
Thanks! Yes she'll be for both DS and Poser (she's not weight mapped and uses the older traditional rigging methods) as was the original version. I'm going to be tweaking materials and surfaces to get best results in both programs out of the box as best I'm able... :)

theschell

Brilliant
Sweet, will be looking forward to her release :)
Thanks... it'll be a while yet... I have about 50 items of basic "everyday clothing" and a number of hair sets to get set up for the new rigging that were all seperate item downloads for the original version (these will be includde with the figure this time around). I'll be including a ton of stuff as starters that will come bundled with her as the basic figure set, and then I had about another 100 or so items that were cosplay and fantasy styles that I'll be redoing over time as extra releases for her...

Wizzard

Brilliant
Looking bettre Schell, I presume overwrite on the older files, or a side by side? Like all you do, take your time, tis always worth the wait.
8 )

theschell

Brilliant
Looking bettre Schell, I presume overwrite on the older files, or a side by side? Like all you do, take your time, tis always worth the wait.
8 )
Thanks! It'll be an overwrite of the older files... to replace the old version with the updated improved versions of everything... :)

theschell

Brilliant
Here are basic and very simple Poser materials render tests (just testing the materials and surfaces settings to make sure she'll look decent "out of the box")... this one is in Poser 11 using the Superfly engine... with 4 lights and ray-traced shadows...

KristinSuperflyTest.jpg

theschell

Brilliant
And a couple of Pose tests to try out the new joint rigging and bends... I used some gymnastics poses since they have some extreme bending to really make sure she moves well... I've done some fairly major tweaks to the bend zones of her joints (She uses extra joints in the torso and hips to try and get poses to look a bit more natural)... Her upper body has 4 spinal joints including a second hip joint (to rotate the lower pelvis forward and back just above the thighs), Abdomen, Under bust, and Chest. I feel it gives a more natural looking curve to her spinal column when she flexes...

PoseTest1.png
PoseTest2.png

Last edited:

theschell

Brilliant
Just for fun, a test render of some of the new characters and clothing I've been making for my anime girl Kristin... I rendered this in DS 4.7 to test surfaces and posing of the new bits of costuming and the characters to make sure it was all going to work well...

Classmates1.jpg

Last edited:

Wizzard

Brilliant
She's looking good. I hope you're still supporting her Poser version. Studio and I are in the middle of an argument. 8 )
Cheers

theschell

Brilliant
She's looking good. I hope you're still supporting her Poser version. Studio and I are in the middle of an argument. 8 )
Cheers
I am yes (see the posts above showing test renders of Kristin in both the Superfly and Firefly engines in Poser 11), I've always tried to provide out of the box cross-compatibility for my products so that they'll work equally well in either DS or Poser. Actually, she'll be "boxed" with Poser materials as default rather than DS materials, but I'm using older surfaces and textures (no special Poser or DS specific material nodes, no IRay only materials or the like) so that she'll work with minimal tweaking of materials/surfaces in both programs (and also allowing users with older versions of the software to still play with her as well)... I just prefer DS for rendering images as I'm more familiar with Studio than I am with Poser... :)

Last edited:

theschell

Brilliant
Cool beans! I knew you looked out for us older guys. 8 )
Thanx Cheers
I certainly try... unlike some other places I chose ages ago to try and make sure that my items would be available to the widest possible customer base rather than cutting my nose off to spite my face by excluding one program or the other... Cross-compatibility is important to me to give everyone a chance to use my toys! ;)

Kerya

Brilliant
Thank you for that - as somebody who like DazStudio and Poser (and Bryce, mostly for abstracts) I love it when things are working in both!

theschell

Brilliant
Thank you for that - as somebody who like DazStudio and Poser (and Bryce, mostly for abstracts) I love it when things are working in both!
For the 10 years I was a full-time content creator I always tried to ensure cross-compatibility despite the differences between the programs. It's easier to set things up with the older DS 3DL/Firefly basic materials/surfaces (which work equally well in both DS and Poser) and the older "Legacy" Cr2 rigging rather than weight mapping which differs between programs. I left it for the end user to adjust materials to suit their own unique render needs which always meant that users of both programs could work with my content even in older versions of the programs (not everyone can afford a new computer to support the latest software)... It also saved me a ton of unnecessary work as it meant not having to do two versions of everything... :)

Last edited:

theschell

Brilliant
I haven't posted much in the way of WIP images as of late, but here's a quick update on the work I've been doing. As it stands now the completed Base Figure download will include;

1) The base Anime Girl Kristin full figure with numerous body/head morphs and ERC controls, and a non-morphing Developers Figure to use for rigging etc (to allow users to create new outfits, poses etc), also included are genitals and pubic hair for those that might want them (since people sometimes complain when they're not readily available).

2) 11 Smart-Parented pose-able and morphing hair styles (with numerous mat poses to change hair colors).

3) 47 items of "every-day" wear clothing plus numerous mat poses to change colors and patterns, including several school uniform items.

4) 6 pairs of Eye Glasses (including sun shades), 9 items of Jewelry including a wrist watch, 8 body piercings including earrings, 3 school related props including a hand bag and Cheerleader Pom-Poms, and 5 exercise/gymnastics props. All props are either fully pose-able or are smart-parenting (in the case of jewelry etc).

5) Alternate mat poses and textures including; 5 default skin shades, various swimsuit tan-line versions of the base default skin shades (to match with the swimsuit styles included with the figure, so far over 20 alternate skins!), numerous pubic hair alternate mats, multiple alternate eye and fingernail color mat poses, 6 Character Pre-sets that will load both a character body shape and custom skin mats specific to each character, and over 200 "every-day" pose presets including various Sports, Driving, Sitting, Standing, Laying/Sleeping, and School related poses. I've even included some basic eating and drinking poses... I'm also going to be including quite a wide number of Hand and Arm pose presets so that the basic poses can be further modified...

I have all of the actual items (clothes etc) done, and have been working on creating all the pose sets that I intend to include with my girl here. It will still be quite a while before I get everything done, but I wanted to update this thread with my progress on the updated Kristin figure... It's been a long process to get this update done to my satisfaction and I'm still getting it all sorted out and I haven't really got much to show for any of it right now hence no more recent WIP images... :)