• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question about tutorials...

Would you prefer a tutorial that:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quietrob

Extraordinary
I don't know what Afropuffs are (not many Aussies have afros :p) but it sounds like it could be this, its for Daz tho
And to go back on topic, I learn best when I can see what someone is doing and also have notes to go back to (but I can't for the life of me take notes ugh)

Samsil must've grown up in a different region or state than I did. In Sacramento, Home of the Tomato Juice, they were called Afro-Puffs. Perhaps they were called Afro Pops where he grew up. They are the same thing. It's like when @Eclark mentioned Jheri Curls. Where I lived we called that hairstyle Jeri Curls. A rose by any other name type of thing.

They might be doable for Poser. The add-on lets me know that someone did try it. However, I don't wish to spend that much cash to find out that the DUF files don't provide decent Poser support. When Samsil has a Flash Sale, than perhaps I could risk the shekels. However, I found out the hard way, that DUF files can fail when providing PCF for proper conversion so I'm pretty careful when it comes to such things.

eclark1894

Visionary
Jeri Curls ... Jheri Curls. Same thing. I had that style for a short minute. Never liked the Fade though. And that Activator was dangerous. Wasn't that what caused Michael Jackson's hair to catch fire?

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I have text files of notes for every 3D application I own

More than one file for some. Plus my own commentary about improving what the writer of the tutorial put down, probably because my software/system/work style are not the same as what is written. (Natch. Only way it'd be exactly the same would be if I was exactly the same person.)

However, that is not the same as learning something from the tutorial in the first place.

Hornet3d

Wise
More than one file for some. Plus my own commentary about improving what the writer of the tutorial put down, probably because my software/system/work style are not the same as what is written. (Natch. Only way it'd be exactly the same would be if I was exactly the same person.)

However, that is not the same as learning something from the tutorial in the first place.

Often my notes just allow me to identify the tutorial where I first read something as it may be months or years later when I go to do something and think 'I read a tutorial on this'. I have so many, without notes my chances of finding it are quite slim.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Here is my progress on the boot so far. I have the main parts blocked out apart from the laces, after which I will start the fine detailing. As you can see, it differs from the boot in the tutorial I was following and I just used what I learned (workflow mainly) from it and went my own way.

boot7.jpg

I won't get any more done tonight as it is almost 2.30am. I woke up just after midnight and spent the couple of hours making the holes and the round metal things for the laces to pass through, and drew faint guide lines/dots for where some of the stitchings will be later. Oh and I got the strap thing at the back of the heel (for pulling the boot on) basically made and placed. That's it for tonight, I'm going back to sleep now! :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Thanks Hornet and Dylan. Yes after midnight is better for me to do that stuff as the house is all quiet with no televisions or music to distract me and nobody talking and running up and down the stairs like a herd of elephants.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
No matter the time of day (or night), a herd of elephants can be racing through my apartment.

Just the other night, Tsuki took off running like a banshee out of hell from the balcony door (A) across the living room to somewhere in the vicinity of B, then to the dining area (computer area) window (C), where she leapt up and grabbed the top of the bottom pane and tried to climb the window. Then she bolted back across the living room (B) and back to the balcony door where she tried to jump onto the installed bar that "locks" the balcony door (the lock broke years ago so they installed the bar). Her other route is to dash through the kitchen

The dining room area is actually my computer "room." The loveseat is positioned between B and A, facing the balcony door. The unused dining room table is behind the loveseat.

upload_2018-1-19_11-51-11.png

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL this thread def took some interesting twists and turns!! (LOL!! Mullets!!!!!!:)

Personally I love ANYTHING ANYONE is willing to share. I know it can take a lot of time and energy to make even simple tutes so I am very appreciative of those who are willing to share their time and knowledge. I find both kinds of tutes very useful.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Most of the tutorials I've bought and followed along with are for specific things and then you have learned that thing. Since I'm not at all artistic or intuitive on my own, then I can only make what I've made in the tutorial and somehow my brain blocks the 'how else can I use/adapt this?' part of the process. When I was using C4D years ago, I followed excellent tutorials that were around at the time. I made some really nice stuff. But I bombed when left on my own and was left with that thousand yard stare of ok, how do I apply modeling a stainless steel bathroom faucet with a spout and handles to anything practical?

So I checked the 2nd option. Take me through a specific program teaching me the ins and outs of the process, how to use the tools, how to put things together to make something on my own.

Now at my age (66) and due to medical issues, I don't learn as well, as fast, nor do I retain information very well. Learning is difficult for me. I'd need to be taught for a specific software and not have to learn in one program and try to adapt it to another. I love Hexagon. Intuitive and easy to find things. I have Silo but it's a nightmare of having to guess at everything for me. Waste of time and money. Blender....absolutely no go. I'm not ever gonna learn that.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
From experience, I know that what works for once scene might not work for another. Cake recipe tutorials tend to be like a one-trick pony. That's why I tend to be more generic in my tutorials, so people can reuse the info in their own context, and sometimes, even in other programs. :)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That's what I've been doing in my Howler tutorials on YouTube, and what I did in the Webinar. I'm covering HOW to use the program, so that you can do your own thing, because you know how it works. At least, that is way that I hope it comes across.

My worst problem is, seeing/reading a tutorial, coming up with other ideas, and then finding that you can't get from A to B without knowing C first, which wasn't covered in the tutorial, because they didn't mean for it to be used that way. Then I get really frustrated, and tend to quit because it takes too long to find the answers to what I needed to do.

quietrob

Extraordinary
My worst problem is, seeing/reading a tutorial, coming up with other ideas, and then finding that you can't get from A to B without knowing C first, which wasn't covered in the tutorial, because they didn't mean for it to be used that way. Then I get really frustrated, and tend to quit because it takes too long to find the answers to what I needed to do.

That's why I voted for an exact tutorial. It's frustrating to read a tutorial only to learn you must download a file that no longer exists or leaves out a major step like grouping before rigging.

James R.

Busy Bee
Well this sure turned out to be an interesting thread!

So the votes are in and most of the people who chose to vote prefer more “general” tutorials. Interesting. :)

I think what I’ll do is make a short tutorial as a test, showing an easy but effective trick I use that you might find useful... before I jump into the deep end and try something really involved. :eek:

The first trick right now though will be finding the time to plan it out, write it up, render the illustrations, and put it into a PDF...

In between posting my question and now life has suddenly gotten in the way and my free time is limited ... :(