• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question about tutorials...

Would you prefer a tutorial that:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James R.

Busy Bee
Some of the best tutorials I ever did both showed how they did something specific and explained WHY they used that method and how to get there from basics. It makes for a longer tutorial, and I do tend to go do my own thing for a while while experimenting. (This wasn't for Poser, it was for something else, but the basics of how to make a good tutorial applies, no matter what you are teaching.)

Like "step 1: working towards making the back ground have this particular texture." Then an explanation of some specific item or tool used, and then shown how to use that tool to get that specific effect. With maybe a sidebar on some other interesting feature that also works really well along the way, or a list of suggestions of other things one could try to do other things of a similar type. This both shows a specific application AND shows a general principle. The combination works much better than either standing alone.

At least it does for me. But then I'm the type of student who does not follow spoken lectures. (Not well, anyhow.) I have to understand it, I have to see it done, and then I have to do it myself. Otherwise, I remember nothing.

I learn similarly. I need some insight into the process that lets me understand what I’m attempting to do, and then I need to try it given what I know.

I just don’t want to belabour unnecessary details. And, truth be told, I might not fully understand all the techno-whatsits behind how Poser does something anyway. I just need it to do what I want it to do. :)

Ultimately, the answer to why won’t be technical, it will be “so you can do things like this”. :)

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Addendum: A class I took on study skills said that people have different ways of learning. Some learn by listening, some learn by seeing/reading, some learn by doing. Not everyone is going to get the same benefit out of one tutorial. Just FYI.

James R.

Busy Bee
Addendum: A class I took on study skills said that people have different ways of learning. Some learn by listening, some learn by seeing/reading, some learn by doing. Not everyone is going to get the same benefit out of one tutorial. Just FYI.

The theory of “Multiple Intelligences”. Yup, I’m familiar with the concept from when I studied for my Educational Assistant certification. :)

I’d love to be able to support as many styles of learning as possible, but I’m not presently comfortable doing a video. So it’ll likely be a PDF that people can download and refer to. There will be written stuff for those who need things described, photos for the visual learners, and steps to follow for those who learn by doing.

That’ll be the best I can do for now. But who knows. It’ll be a challenge for me to find time to assemble the tutorial as it is.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Personally, I prefer a PDF because running a video back and forth while trying to learn something is awkward. A vid is great for something that's moving, yeah, and sometimes really the only form that works, for some lessons, but if I'm trying to follow along, it doesn't work well sometimes.

Hornet3d

Wise
I would like it to be useful to someone who is totally new to Poser, so it'll have clear step by step instructions and pictures.

But I also think that longtime Poser users might find it useful, too. It's changed the way I do things...or at least has given me a new way to do things.

I'm not sure how "in depth" my explanations will be, though. I won't be explaining particle physics in order to show how to use it.

I think I'd like people to be able to understand what they're accomplishing, without being bogged down by tiny (unnecessary) details. Ultimately I'd like people to be able to grasp the concept and go implement it.

It's going to take some time for me to get it done, though. I have one version of it that's far too long and the Poser props I had hoped to use for the demonstration are... weird. I can't use them effectively. So I have to re-think it.

Again, you folks have given me lots to think about. I appreciate your input. I'll be considering this further.

Just to support your theory on longtime users, I worked my way through the SM video tutorial on Poser 11, now it is clearly aimed at users with little of no previous knowledge of Poser. Despite me playing with the program for almost 15 years now I was surprised at what I picked up and most was not the new stuff in Poser 11 but features that had been in Poser in one form or another for years.

Hornet3d

Wise
Damn. It's banana, isn't it? I hate banana.:sneaky:

Weird you know but we get little very little snow in my part of the UK usually (bet we have blizzards now I have said that) so sightings off yellow snow are rare. The only time I have seen it is when it has been snowing and I take my dog for a walk. I don't see it when the dog is not there and I have no way of knowing if he sees it when I'm not there, purplexing.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
....I have to understand it, I have to see it done, and then I have to do it myself....

Wow, that's the way I am as well. I really have to have visuals and then do it myself as soon as possible before I forget what I was shown. But the good thing is that I only have to do it once and I remember it always.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I use to remember it easily, but I find as I get older I forget more and more. If I find something that works nicely while rigging, I'll make myself a note so I can look it up the next time I need it. Rigging shins in a long dress is one of those things I don't always use and had to refer to my own notes several times before I remembered it.

Getting old sucks! :)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
You really ate mullet? I had that fish once and it was horrible, I believe even the seagulls won't eat them. I'll take the internet over all the mullets in the River Liffey!

Hornet3d

Wise
I use to remember it easily, but I find as I get older I forget more and more. If I find something that works nicely while rigging, I'll make myself a note so I can look it up the next time I need it. Rigging shins in a long dress is one of those things I don't always use and had to refer to my own notes several times before I remembered it.

I have the similar problems but one of phone systems I used to work on many years ago had manuals that were hundreds for pages thick and there was 36 of them. I learnt very quickly how to use the index and flow charts as it was impossible to remember such a massive amount of information. People used to comment on my level of knowledge when it was no such thing, I just knew how to find the answer fairly quickly. As I get older I use the same trick, I have most the information that I need stored on my computer and have a fairly efficient way of finding what I want. In some cases I don't' even try to remember as I know if I try I am only going to succeed in remembering incorrectly.

James R.

Busy Bee
You really ate mullet? I had that fish once and it was horrible, I believe even the seagulls won't eat them. I'll take the internet over all the mullets in the River Liffey!

lol... Well in case it is the generation gap... a mullet was a haircut that men wore in the 80's. :) Long hair at the back of the head and neck.

...no I won't post photos of me to show what it was... but it was rather like this...

his-first-day-school-Brandon-sports-feathery-mullet.jpg

James R.

Busy Bee

Some days I can't even remember why I went into the kitchen...