• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A question about tutorials...

Would you prefer a tutorial that:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quietrob

Extraordinary
I must admit I'm surprised. I would think one would want to know exactly how to bake a cake rather than general ideas. Still the outcome is clear by a 2 to 1 ratio and roughly a fourth of the Hivemind voting.

Take care of Life. We'll be here!

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
I must admit I'm surprised. I would think one would want to know exactly how to bake a cake rather than general ideas. Still the outcome is clear by a 2 to 1 ratio and roughly a fourth of the Hivemind voting.

I can only speak for myself, but I voted for general because I find tutorials much more useful when they focus on techniques and the ideas behind them rather than trying to get me to ape something specific.

There are of course tutorials that roll both together, showing how to create something specific while taking time to go into what techniques are being used and how doing things differently can change the end result, which may be the best of all worlds.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I think "Ape" is an unfortunate choice of words. Technique is still the same as showing one how to do something. The best tutorials point out that there are several ways to accomplish your goal yet move you toward a certain conclusion. The DAZ tutorial I've seen was done Child of Fyre who no longer seems to be listed here. She showed how to use Gen X. I miss that gal.

@agentunawares Nice freestuff you have listed on your D.A. page.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Childe of Fyre is Seliah, and she still pops in once in a while. Unfortunately real life has taken up most of her time lately.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think she's officially Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on the forums because she uses Childe of Fyre as her CA name in the HW store.

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
I think "Ape" is an unfortunate choice of words.

I think it's the precise choice of words to describe the difference between "you can copy exactly" and "try things on your own." Note that I do believe the best is a combination of both, something you could copy exactly but with focus on variations and expansion to more than just the end result of the tutorial.

@agentunawares Nice freestuff you have listed on your D.A. page.

Thanks, I think so. ;)