• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

A clone, A clone, A clone!!! for Dawn, Dusk & Baby Luna

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am a Poser guy, so DS is not my specialty, but couldn't a Dawn clone of herself be used to create better weight map projections for new clothing created specifically for her? I have heard this somewhere else, but could never confirm if it's true. In another example, when we load a Dawn outfit in DS from a Poser runtime, DS will claim it to be "unsupported", and then proceed by projecting the weights from the figure itself. If Dawn had a clone of herself, perhaps DS could show "Dawn" in the list of supported figures instead of "unsupported", and perhaps make better weights projection. This would be a case where we are converting clothing from Dawn to Dawn, so it's not something rare or unusual.

So these would be 2 examples: when creating new outfits for Dawn, and when converting Dawn outfits from Poser to DS. In both cases it's from Dawn to Dawn, and from what I've heard, Dawn clones would be the better way to do it. Even though this makes sense to me, sorry if I am saying something stupid. I have hopes someone who actually knows this stuff will clarify it. ;p

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Now that's odd. I downloaded those files (Dawn Special Edition) and the Dusk clone was present and functional.
With my downloads it was the Luna package that was muddled. The Dusk package was fine.

No, you don't need a clone of the figure to make clothing for it.You need Projection templates. We're still waiting for those.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 clones do not do the weight mapping. Clones only provide the shape to convert from the source figure to the target figure. Weight mapping is provided from the projection templates. At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ken, Pen and Jodel are correct. Clones are for converting clothes from one figure to another. It's Projection Templates that are integral for clothing creation. Those are what we're still waiting on for the DS side. Chris has commented that it's definitely on the list. It just hasn't arrived yet.

The clones are a good start, though, because it means we just got an increase in their wardrobe. For Luna and Dusk especially, this is a much needed boost. :) Dawn, too, but especially Luna and Dusk don't have much at all in the way of clothing yet, so being able to wear each other's outfits will help immensely. That's the purpose of the clones in DS. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have just copied the Dawn clone into Dusk's Morph folder and now it works!!

I'm glad you got it working. I was going to say, maybe some of the files got mixed up between things. Alisa has a lot on her plate, too, just like Chris and Paul. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Seliah (Childe of Fyre) Thanks for clearing that out, it was bugging me for a while. So clones and projection templates are different things! I thought they might be the same, but now I finally know they are not. One is to provide a shape reference, and the other is to provide only weight map templates. Those are alien concepts to a Poser user, so it's easy to assume a clone could provide both. Thanks for explaining. ^^

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Shouldn't the clones work for Dawn either way? The Special Edition only gave new skin and other bits, nothing is changed in the rigging iirc!

Maybe I misunderstood the question about this. It's not a matter of the clones not working with Dawn SR2 - they will.

But in order to GET the clones to use with Dawn, you MUST own Dawn SE. The clones are not being released separately.

So it's another nice feature of Dawn SE :)

I'm glad you got it working. I was going to say, maybe some of the files got mixed up between things. Alisa has a lot on her plate, too, just like Chris and Paul. :)

Thanks, yes, that's the truth - all 4 of us do :)

But the only one that was mixed up was the Baby Luna one, so not sure what Sanbie was seeing.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Although, mind you, an autofit clone is one of the quickest, most painless ways to tranfer a figure's rigging to an outfit. Even if the outfit comes nowhere near to fitting the target figure (which it probably won't, if it's from an unsupported figure). Just run autofit. Then go to 'Fit to" and tell it 'None' and ta-da, the outfit's rigging now matches the figure you were trying to fit it to. Very helpful when scaling and parenting things.

Admittedly, this may be something only a control freak would love. And you do lose the outfit's original rigging, any pose handles or ghost bones. But it can be useful.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes, the mileage definitely does vary... but that's where things like smoothing modifiers, push modifiers, collision, and sub-d come in. It's very rare that I can't make something work at least well enough to render from the viewing angle of the image, but some items do take a LOT of fiddling with to get there.

Still. I'm just thrilled to have these! :D

static

Inspired
Oh, thank you Alisa and Miss B. I got lost and am not getting notifications, so I didn't realize I got a response. Sorry.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Although, mind you, an autofit clone is one of the quickest, most painless ways to tranfer a figure's rigging to an outfit. Even if the outfit comes nowhere near to fitting the target figure (which it probably won't, if it's from an unsupported figure). Just run autofit. Then go to 'Fit to" and tell it 'None' and ta-da, the outfit's rigging now matches the figure you were trying to fit it to. Very helpful when scaling and parenting things.

Admittedly, this may be something only a control freak would love. And you do lose the outfit's original rigging, any pose handles or ghost bones. But it can be useful.
If you do it via the transfer utility you can save the morphs also...Sickleyield did a tutorial on how to do this over at Deviant Art iirc.