• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
And a blast from the past....when everybody in the Poser community stayed up all night, half asleep, waiting for the Apollo release...haha.

APOLLO-LAUNCH.jpg

Terre

Renowned
I think it will be, thanks :)
Normally I'm off on Monday but the boss got married Saturday and won't be back until tomorrow and someone who knows how to do my job needs to be at the store as today is a truck day.

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks to GIF Movie Gear, this original 1920 x 1080 video has been reduced to a small .gif...not nearly the video quality of the original, but at least an impression of the video that Sarah created back in 2010...in hopes of figuring out what she did, using only freebies and Poser 8, to create a light emitting torch that followed the characters across the screen.

EGYPT-JOURNEY-GIF.gif

skylab

Esteemed
She repeated the same process, whatever it was, to create the camp fire in this video segment, again a reduction from the original 1920 x 1080.

Shepherd&SheepTEST_gif.gif

skylab

Esteemed
Good evening everybody :) I'm baaack :whistling:

Still searching the archive for old animations and renders. This character was one of Nursoda's most...ah....what's the word...unique....strange...weird. Anyway...at the time I titled it "Couch Potato" :)

couch-potato-plant-465x412.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
At the time the Malik violin animation was created, I also did a big scene, where I had created a wife for Malik and called her Mona. In this scene they are sitting in the front of the Swamp Shack with a bunch of 3DU Toon Frogs providing the rhythm, which is sort of what frogs can really sound like at night :) This was called the Malik and Mona Jug Band.

Malik and Mona Jug Band.jpg

Malik and Mona.jpg

Malik and Mona. Mona was just Malik with a bun hairdo and different colored clothes :)

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
And finally, this was Hein as a woman character, Julia Child, trying to flip a pancake that gets stuck to the ceiling, a joke based on Julia's real life comedic cooking :)

julia-child-hein-pancakes-2018.gif

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And a blast from the past....when everybody in the Poser community stayed up all night, half asleep, waiting for the Apollo release...haha.

I remember that release! LOL And then when he came out, he was insanely expensive, way more than any of the other figures we had access to at the time, and I pretty much gave up all hope of ever getting ahold of him. And then later on he was made into a freebie.

Thanks to GIF Movie Gear, this original 1920 x 1080 video has been reduced to a small .gif...not nearly the video quality of the original, but at least an impression of the video that Sarah created back in 2010...in hopes of figuring out what she did, using only freebies and Poser 8, to create a light emitting torch that followed the characters across the screen.

That almost looks like a point light was placed within the flame, and then parented to it (or the candle mayhaps) and rendered. If you study the wall closely as they pass by, you can see that the candle's "light" on the wall at one point becomes two round balls. In a still-frame render, that would never be an issue, but in the moving animation here, it's very noticeable (at least to me), and combined with what I know and what I've done myself in the past to make "emissive" objects, it does give me another reason to think that maybe she had used a point light (or two) parented to the flame.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah...thanks so much for responding...good to see you :) The point light idea was my best guess too, for the same reason, the light passing by on the side of the building. The flickering torch threw me....I wasn't sure if it was a freebie somewhere that I had missed. I remember she was messing with procedural shaders, and creating lights on models of candles. The only thing I could think of is if she had some kind of model of a flame, and was stretching it out, then shrinking it down, up and down, to create the extreme flicker in the animation frames...maybe? And assigning a point light in the middle of it?

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
And...there was some issue after the free Apollo was released, that the black skin texture wasn't included, and had to be added later...so that's why I used both of them in the tribute render, propping each other up, half asleep....haha :)

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
By the way, I just downloaded the Lighting Master Class from Rendo....to help with understanding this better.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
My attempts at modeling CB seven or eight years ago by modeling the parts and parenting them...and Slon napping on top of the dog house :)

PEANUTS-7.jpg

SLON-SNOOPY.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
And finally, there used to be a Gary Larson cartoon with the caption "There's a bee in the back seat", with a guy driving, looking in his rear view mirror at a huge, larger than human bee, sitting in the back seat. The majority of Larson's cartoon themes were about phobias...fears that everyone has at one time or another. This render was sort of along the same line...and the title was,
"There's a bug in the tub", using Gonzo, a plump, unique bee-like critter. It occurred to me that he might make a good Hivewire bee, so I found the model and this old scene file that was a good exercise in point lighting.

BUG--IN--THE--TUB.jpg