• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Here's Gonzo in a jar with fireflies....he will make a nice Hivewire bee, at least for now :)

gonjo--jar.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
With three point light objects parented inside Andy's chest, he glows in the dark as he flips across the screen. The cartwheel is a MoCap animated pose option in Poser 11.

ANDY--POINT-LIGHTS-CARTWHEEL.gif

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Yes, it has been fun experimenting with learning new stuff. I'm more of a "show me" or "let me try it" learner...I only have so much patience with a lot of reading or details these days ...I learn more by trial and error. Sarah was the same way, as she had major visual challenges.

This one was trying a point light for a lighthouse model that I made a long time ago...and the light travels properly, but it's back to the Vermeer lighting issue...that is, how to direct it as a beam in a specified, visually obvious direction...so I guess that's the next step in the parade :)

LIGHTHOUSE.gif

Terre

Renowned
You'll get it, I'm sure.
I learn much more by doing. In my case it's the result of an undiagnosed learning disability. I have severely impaired powers of memorization which only my 1st grade teacher at the International School in Tokyo knew about. She somehow managed to teach me to read (I have NO memory associated with reading prior to being able to read better than most kids my age) which my parents had not been able to do the year before even though they were able to use home schooling books to teach me arithmetic. That was fun and I still remember what the equations looked like to this day. Bundles of brightly colored sticks (dowels actually would be a better word) with math symbols between them and needing to count them and then do the action the symbol said to. A lot of fun. I think what made that so easy was there were only three written symbols to memorize.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Those animations look awesome!

Sky, I deleted most everything in my inbox and lost your email!

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Know what you mean. I had a very mild learning disability that was discovered by my senior English teacher...I had learned through the years to compensate for it...jumbled letters while reading. Despite all that, she had put me in an accelerated curriculum apart from my classmates, since I was already testing college level in high school...and it was through working one on one with my writing that she discovered the different ways I went about studying. Unfortunately anything to do with math or music, that method of compensation doesn't work so well, since there's no frame of reference, especially with written music....little black dots all look alike...haha. I still managed to graduate with honors despite the math grades, but I knew college was not going to be something to consider, unless I particularly liked punishing myself...haha. So, to this day, I learn best by doing, or being shown...and have met many people who tend to be the same way...so that keeps it fun and takes the pressure off :) Through the years my forum discussion threads have been geared to folks who tend to learn the same way...and I'm always very pleased when beginners get the courage to try new things.

Sarah was seriously learning impaired...but off the scale brilliant at the same time. I was able to "speak her language" and help her get started in 3D, something she never dreamed she'd be able to do. I've been searching through some of her old emails, and the stuff she was trying at the time was way out ahead of others who only had two or three years experience with Poser. She just needed me to get her started with the fundamentals of the program... tutorials with few words and lots of arrows...once she knew where things were and what they were supposed to do, she took off like Slon on Silvira...haha. Then she was asking me questions for which I had absolutely no answers...she advanced quickly and left me in the dirt :) But at least she got up the courage to try...and accomplished a lot in those last three years of her life. So if anyone is reading this, and you struggle with the same things, don't sell yourself short....you never know what you can accomplish...if you have the courage to try :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Janet :) Muybridge Animals in Motion arrived today :) I'm sorry you had such an issue with your email. Maybe I'll send a message to you to find out what's needed, if anything :)

:bee:

Terre

Renowned
That's the kind of tutorial Jim prefers to make too. Lots of pictures with arrows pointing at what you need to click next. He's had training in working with kids with disabilities so that's likely where he picked up that style.

skylab

Esteemed
Yes, there's definitely a difference in the progression of how learning is accomplished. In Sarah's case, I thought she should focus some on making her characters not appear "plastic", but she thought that was just a part of animation, plastic, toon-appearing people....so I put this M3 animation (below) together quickly for her so that she could see the difference....but without seeing it, she could not be convinced...haha....but after seeing it, then she knew she had to explore the idea of the models having textures, or "skins". That got her started in the Poser material room. We had some interesting wrestling matches, which goes with the territory...I'm sure Jim has had his moments when trying to teach :)

m3-point.gif

skylab

Esteemed
In one of Sarah's emails, she described how she created a flickering candle flame with one of my models on ShareCG, and she included pictures of the settings that she used. The flickering candle is on my website, at the bottom of the lighting test page, and here's a copy of her settings. You'll have to view the enlarged version below in order to see the settings clearly.

FlameCandle&LightSettingsQ8.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Animating some of my old scene files...Manny is a little old to be turning cartwheels across the screen like Andy, so here he is in retirement, painting at an easel :)

MANNEKIN -PAINTING---ani.gif

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Animating some of my old scene files...Manny is a little old to be turning cartwheels across the screen like Andy, so here he is in retirement, painting at an easel :)

View attachment 40499
That happens to be a cute animation. What would make it even cuter is if there was a half-finished painting on the easel . . . even if it's just a few brush strokes. ;)