• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Szark

Awesome
If I can afford it I will buy it and see what maps it has and see if I can make it shine a little more. For me the coat is so much better and something I would like to see for other colours. It is that hair look that sells it. Yeah I like it a lot.

Szark

Awesome
I just looked at the maps and I see the highlights I saw in the promos I mentioned are painted on, this fooled me in to thinking that there might have been a different bump map involved.

I do think in this day and age of hobby CGI painted one highlights should be avoided. In this case I think we need it but it does hamper making hair with either LAMH or Garibaldi Hair as the hair takes the colour from the diffuse map so the hair will show the highlights.

Still looks better though. :)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oh! Well have fun tinkering! I look forward to what you come up with!

FWIW here is a quickie (not fully cooked) using the same shader and lighting (a simple Sun/Sky setting) but with base Bay Stripe coat.

BayIR.jpg

Szark

Awesome
I am not putting your work down as I have your Mil Horse Pro set and you have such a talent. My intent is to hopefully change your mind in what you do that keeps up with the technology and customer expectations, Granted this is just my personal view gained from rendering, modelling and texturing so I know how much work all this entails. With rendering more than modelling etc I look at things from my perspective with what I want in products I buy. Over the years I have gotten so picky I just stopped buying stuff all together in favour of learning to model myself. I do see a lot of vendors getting stuck in the past and not growing with the technology. I am lucky as I have a good 3DL understanding and a fairly good grasp with Iray....not as good as my 3dl knowledge. So I can set up mats for both engines without too much trouble. I have bought a few bits and bobs lately that supposed to have Iray mats only to find they aren't even close to realistic. Realism in 3DL wasn't a goal for many so the mats were open to taste. Many folks realised that with 3DL you expect to adjust. However with unbiased render engines the demand for realism is expected. Again this is my opinion and a view gleamed by two forums and comments I have read. So not a big cross section but mirror my own views.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I didn't think you were Szark! I am always open to people helping me get more technically proficient! There is SO much to learn and only so many hours in the day. Ask Dan30!:) He was a a huge help on the cats. Actually LOL 3DL is the one engine I know the least as I've used it the least. I def started life as a Poser user back with P2, and I love P11, and really DS 4.9 has been the first version of DS I REALLY!!!! like. SO much faster and way less crashy on my Macs as well as adding some really simple but so necessary vendor tools. (Like Refresh Images- man that used to make me nuts before they added that:)

Szark

Awesome
just making sure LOL

I love DS from 2.3 I think it was, to now. Such an easy program to use and learn. I don't do Poser anymore in fact it isn't even installed.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I've *owned* a copy of Poser since it was first released, but never used it for anything, until I stumbled across Studio. That was the point that it finally sunk in that a project that had been hanging fire for years might be doable in 3D, when it wasn't doable using clip art and stock photography.

I started with Studio (v. 3.?) and it was so much of an uncooperative cashbox that I tried switching to Poser 8. Kai Kraus had been gone for years, but his spirit lingered on. It wasn't long before I went back to battling Studio. At least there I was making some headway.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I'm liking the TB setting in Iray Laurie, but if Szark can tweak it a bit I'm game. I also like the Dapple Iray that you posted.

Just got these into Beta for Daz. There's a lite form racer 2 that has more of a compact body style. Poser will come, but I rather have to sort it out.

Would really like some veins/tendons and muscle definition on the hind legs..... something to toy with maybe.

The foal is actually bigger, but I really down scaled to get them all in there.
Untitled-1.jpg

Leggy Racer 2 copy.jpg

Racing Form morph copy.jpg Foal copy.jpg Juvenile copy.jpg Lite Racer copy.jpg

Last edited:

Szark

Awesome
Ok I have stayed away from trying to get that freshly groomed look instead just concentrating on the natural sheen. I might have made it a big strong but I think it looks cool. :)

Iray

Did a bit of work on the shader and lightened, lowered contrast and desaturated the diffuse map a little as a gloss colour map in the Top Coat Colour slot. I used both gloss layers with the same settings and anisotropy with one layer using anisotropy rotation. This was so I could spread out the sheen all over the horse without desaturating the diffuse with white gloss. I did lot more than just that though. Added some rough backscatter and a normal map. The same shader set up used for all three horse.

Fern Lake as the environment and Iray default Sun/Sky with Sun Dial for positioning the sun.

"Free"

bay group finals.jpg

Szark

Awesome
Has anyone done a Clone of Mil Horse so I can use the Pro textures for Mil Horse on Harry? Love those and it would be nice to use them on a better looking horse. ;)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ok I have stayed away from trying to get that freshly groomed look instead just concentrating on the natural sheen. I might have made it a big strong but I think it looks cool. :)

Iray

Did a bit of work on the shader and lightened, lowered contrast and desaturated the diffuse map a little as a gloss colour map in the Top Coat Colour slot. I used both gloss layers with the same settings and anisotropy with one layer using anisotropy rotation. This was so I could spread out the sheen all over the horse without desaturating the diffuse with white gloss. I did lot more than just that though. Added some rough backscatter and a normal map. The same shader set up used for all three horse.

Fern Lake as the environment and Iray default Sun/Sky with Sun Dial for positioning the sun.

"Free"

View attachment 28716

Love this image Szark!! Fern Lake is a wonderful BG and you can't beat stonemason! Lol just a bit out of my price range currently, but on my wish list. I wonder if metallic flakes might affect how the light scatters on the coat there?

FireFox
FoxFire.jpg

Products Used:
Hivewire 3D horse, Thoroughbred breed form, Juvenile TB Form morph, CWRWs Liver Chestnut coat texture, Songbird Remix Birds of Prey Shirka, RDNA Rose Bushes, Solar Flare Brushes I created in Photoshop, BG is a conglomerate of different images, Iray.

Szark

Awesome
nobody thinks the gloss is too much, just me ?? :p From what I can see it does depend on condition of coat, time of year and location. I have seen many photos of wold horses where the hair is very rough and messy.