• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

D

Deleted member 325

@Miss B Babylon 5 might've been the best sci-fi show of all time except for the final battle. There was none. Everyone showed up for the show-down but they yak yak'd their way to the ending. I wanted to see Starships blown up! Total Armageddon. Instead, it was "You don't belong here. Hit the road. We cool?" It was reminiscent of TNG when the Borg ship was heading to Earth and engaged Starfleet at Wolf 359 for the epic battle of the century. There was none. Just monumental disappoint at not seeing the battle of the century. It's what the made ending of Deep Space 9 so epic. They delivered. Still, except for that final non-battle, Babylon 5 might just be the best ever. It wasn't a never ending session of depression as a certain remake of a rag tag fugitive fleet turned out to be. Not victories should be Pyrrhic in nature.
End of soapbox
I am in total agreement. I loved B5 - was one of my favorites (still is). That last battle with the shadows felt so...unresolved. There was all of this massive and wonderful build up for nearly 2 seasons, then it all just fizzled. I too like good starship battles (Star Trek never had enough of them for me). The Battle for Earth in the second half of season 4 was good though - with lots of good Starship Battles (though the White Stars seemed to come off far less potent than they should have against Earth ships). It also cemented the character of Susan Ivanova as my all time favorite Female Sci-Fi character (Strong and Forceful, not just eye candy). Season 5 I hated though (I do not even acknowledge it's existence most of the time), lower production values, poor character interplay, inconsistent character personalities.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
At the risk of starting a fight, I just don't get Firefly and why people loved it so much. I saw one or two episodes... meh.

The moment that got me, was in the first episode when there is a bar fight, someone is thrown the window of the 'saloon' and it turns out the window is a hologram, so it just sort of fizzles out and then back into place. I loved the mixing of silly conventions.

I never saw it the first time around, but caught quite a few episodes when it came out a second time. It was OK, but I didn't like it as much as say, Babylon 5, which I always thought was the best sci-fi show of it's time.

Definitely the best of it's time. In fact I think it started the reshaping of TV into what it is today (with plots that go beyond an episode but last across a season or even the whole run of a show). I heard it was originally pitched as a 5 season show about a war with the whole thing sketched out.

Seems that if a show doesn't start off dark, once they do the "big reveal", the next season they do a tone shift to dark to keep your attention. I find, that for me, unless they also lighten it up a little, its exhausting to watch all the angst and struggling constantly, especially when I am binge watching.

There's a lot of really dark stuff I like, but I tend to prefer dark stuff mixed with comedy. One of the reasons I always loved Buffy.

I rented the first season of Game of Thrones but was disappointed, probably because I've read the books, and enjoyed them immensely.

What's interesting to me about this, was that I had read the first 3 books before the show came out, and was amazed at how closely the first season followed the first book. They do start to diverge more and more after that. But I don't really mind, partly because I think the show writers were very good at understanding what TV was good at, as opposed to a book. A lot of the stuff they changed, they did just because there was no visual interesting way to present it, and there are a couple moment in the show, where the actors just bring off brilliantly some emotions that the books could never quite get as well. That being said, I don't agree with all the changes (Jon Snow is a lot dumber, and a bit of a brat on the show compared to his character in the book).

What's interesting, however, is this current (?) season is past the last published book, so I'm wondering if they got a very detailed outline from George R.R Martin so they could film the newest episodes.

Yes, the show writers had from George R.R. Martin how things were going to end. And there is some evidence he may have all the books partly written, just not edited and complied together. Evidently he doesn't just write beginning to end, but writes what interests him, and then goes back to reedit, and fill stuff in. So he likely has a lot of the ending written. Plus, there are so many big plots and characters in the book that were cut from the show, that they really only have to focus on a smaller subset of what's happening.

Lucifer is back, and I still enjoy it. ‎Tom Ellis is perfect as Lucifer Morningstar, as are D. B. Woodside as Amenadiel Firstborn and Lesley-Ann Brandt as Mazikeen. I don't care at all for Tricia Helfer as Lucifer and Amenadiel's mother and hope she either goes back to hell soon, or finds some other child to cling to.

I really like this show too. I'd love to see Death show up. I always loved her from the comic. I do sometimes get a little tired of Lucifer's daddy issues, but it's still a really fun show.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm totally on the fence with Designated Survivor. I'll finish Season 1, but probably won't continue watching if renewed for a second season. Kiefer Sutherland isn't one of my favorite actors. Mostly because he always whispers rather than speaking. Give me an actor like Patrick Stewart who never leaves you guessing as to what he just said.
I have to agree, though I really, really thought he "finally" hit his mark in 24. This time around he's not pulling me in that much, even though the premise of the series had me interested enough to watch so far.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
They shot scenes from an episode in the second year (or maybe the third year) at my old law firm. I actually got to meet Chris Noth one day as I rode down in the elevator with him and the black actor who played the ADA the first few years it was on the air. I can't recall his name, but remember him doing a guest appearance years later as a defense lawyer.

OH MY GOSH YOU LUCKY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! *FAINTS*

Miss B

CV-BEE
Plus, there are so many big plots and characters in the book that were cut from the show, that they really only have to focus on a smaller subset of what's happening.
Actually, I'm not sure if they were "cut", as I read a long time ago that he had to cut his 5th book into 2 books because of the size, and that book 6 will take place during the same time period as book 5, but with most of the other characters from the first 4 books. I also read in that article that he wasn't sure how many books there would be, and his then girlfriend, now wife, suggested 7, one for each kingdom.

eclark1894

Visionary
Now there's 2 faces I haven't seen on TV in years. Unfortunately, TWC doesn't have MeTV on it's roster, or at least not here in NYC.

They shot scenes from an episode in the second year (or maybe the third year) at my old law firm. I actually got to meet Chris Noth one day as I rode down in the elevator with him and the black actor who played the ADA the first few years it was on the air. I can't recall his name, but remember him doing a guest appearance years later as a defense lawyer.

Richard Brooks played the ADA Paul Robinette.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not that I remember.....Actually the film "Interview with an Vampire" was not that bad, I've seen worst ones.....Hellsing was good, and you had your eye candy in Hugh Jackman (not to mention he's a good actor though one has to watch one of his lesser known films for that). Buffy actually brought me back to the Vampire genre which I avoided for years due to Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski (I was around 12 when I've seen that one and Kinski was a scary creepy vampire)
Just could not get into Interview with a Vampire...it just didn't appeal. But then I got into vampire shows with Buffy also. It was my daughter's fault as I watched it with her on TV and then we bought the full series together.

I'm totally on the fence with Designated Survivor. I'll finish Season 1, but probably won't continue watching if renewed for a second season. Kiefer Sutherland isn't one of my favorite actors. Mostly because he always whispers rather than speaking. Give me an actor like Patrick Stewart who never leaves you guessing as to what he just said.

Lethal Weapon has grabbed me, and I like that Martin Riggs (Clayne Crawford) is starting to connect again after the devastating loss of his wife and child. He opened up more in Can I Get a Witness, and the end was very encouraging. Damon Wayans and Clayne Crawford work well together ... which I didn't expect with Damon Wayans. I kinda did a huh? on seeing Damon Wayans listed. Clayne Crawford has appeared in several episodes of shows I've watched (Jerico, The Glades, Justified, Rectify), but I didn't realize I'd ever seen him before. Part of the appeal with Lethal Weapon is that Martin Riggs is so indestructible.

Lucifer is back, and I still enjoy it. ‎Tom Ellis is perfect as Lucifer Morningstar, as are D. B. Woodside as Amenadiel Firstborn and Lesley-Ann Brandt as Mazikeen. I don't care at all for Tricia Helfer as Lucifer and Amenadiel's mother and hope she either goes back to hell soon, or finds some other child to cling to.

Love The Librarians too and just finished watching Season 2.
Designated Survivor I'm a bit ambivalent about. I feel sorry for kirkman. He just gets hit with one thing after another. We've only seen up to episode 8 on Netflix.

Have they remade Lethal Weapon? I didn't know that. I used to like Mel Gibson a long time ago...and I loved Lethal Weapon but with all the garbage in the press it totally put me off the show. I will have to check it out.

@Miss B I haven't seen a movie for Shooter but it may not be out here yet I will have to check.

There's a lot of really dark stuff I like, but I tend to prefer dark stuff mixed with comedy. One of the reasons I always loved Buffy.
Oh yeah...so true. 'Once more with feeling' is a perfect example of that and 'Hush', not to mention the buffy bot episodes. That show just loved to include the quirky...

@Netherworks, I didn't like the angel thing either...Spike on the other hand was a definite favourite. And I agree Vampire Hero's have been overdone, I prefer it when there are tones of grey or even outright black like in the Originals. No one could call Klaus a hero...and why would anyone write that vampires sparkle in sunlight!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes indeed. Lethal Weapon is a new series on Fox and a reboot of the Lethal Weapon franchise.

Re: Buffy/Spike. Spike was absolutely my favorite. As an aside, I love James Marsters' narration of The Dresden Files.

I pretty much avoid anything with vampires or werewolves. They have been so done to death in the last dozen or many years. Especially, in anything intended for the YA audience. YA books in particular seem locked into the vampire/werewolf soulmate. Excuse me, but we're a meal ticket to vampires and werewolves (and zombies), not someone any of them want to moon over for the next few centuries.

Ok. It's getting entirely too cold to stay at the computer any longer! Since I'm done telecommuting for the day, I can go crawl under my blankees on the couch and get warm.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Actually, I'm not sure if they were "cut", as I read a long time ago that he had to cut his 5th book into 2 books because of the size, and that book 6 will take place during the same time period as book 5, but with most of the other characters from the first 4 books. I also read in that article that he wasn't sure how many books there would be, and his then girlfriend, now wife, suggested 7, one for each kingdom.

So yes, he originally thought it was going to be a trilogy, and then did cut book 4 into two books that take place at about the same time. In part because he kept adding in plots and characters. A lot of time those characters get combined together, sometimes in somewhat unrecognizable ways. For instance in the books, there is someone who claims he's Daenerys' nephew and the son of Rhaegar, and he's already invading the 7 kingdoms, while she's still hanging out in Mereen. And it was his guardian, Jon Conigton, who fished Tyrion out of the river and contracted greyscale, not Jorah Mormont. So that's a whole major plot they simply cut out, and we have to assume the only important part was the greyscale because they kept that in.

The sixth book is supposed to come out sometime next year, maybe before the next season of the show. Of course it's still possible that book seven will get split up into two books also ;)

@Netherworks, I didn't like the angel thing either...Spike on the other hand was a definite favourite. And I agree Vampire Hero's have been overdone, I prefer it when there are tones of grey or even outright black like in the Originals. No one could call Klaus a hero...and why would anyone write that vampires sparkle in sunlight!

Yes most vampire shows do get a little two teenage girl for me (and hey, I loved Anne Rices books in high school so . . . ) I did love the original British Being Human. I've never actually seen the US one, but the cast just looked too magazine perfect.

Miss B

CV-BEE
As an aside, I love James Marsters' narration of The Dresden Files.
Now there's a set of books I absolutely loved reading, and I was disappointed the TV series didn't make it, but they are on DVD, and I plan to rent them from Netflix. Should be interesting to see how they compare with the books.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Dresden Files series departs rather a lot from the books. There is a Harry Dresden, and there is a Bob ... though I don't recall him ever leaving the skull as he did in the books.

Episode 8 was originally intended to be the pilot and very, very loosely based on Storm Front. Think of it as based on the dust jacket summary rather than the book (which is what I wrote my book reports on in junior high. I read for pleasure, not to write a book report after). The pilot was re-edited a number of times and may not be on the DVD. I'm not sure if much else besides Harry being a wizard with a spirit who lives in a skull, as well as there being a cop Murphy and an ME Butters is all that recognizable from the books. But then, Jim Butcher stated it's not meant to follow the same story, but is meant to be an alternate world, with a similar overall background and story world.

That said ... I did enjoy the series, though a number of things about Harry Dresden and Murphy grated on me in the series. I was most irritated over Harry carrying around a hockey stick instead of a staff. Say what?!? Not like he wasn't openly a wizard. He was in the freaking yellow pages. But Jim liked the hockey stick, so there it was.

Yannick Bisson has a minor role as Sgt. Darren Munzer in the last episode Second City.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I read the books after watching the series...it was one of the rare cases that I actually enjoyed the books after doing this. Despite the fact as Satira says they are very different...but I do like the actor they had playing Dresden...

eclark1894

Visionary
I'd never heard of the Dresden Files until a few years back when the Syfy channel had a short lived series by that name. It starred the guy playing Captain Quentin Lance on Arrow. It was shaping up to be an interesting show, but it was canceled abuptly.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Annoyed me to no end that they did that. I didn't expect much of the books content to make it to a TV series in any case, though you can get away with a lot more on Cable TV networks, than you can on the basic prime time Networks like CBS, ABC, CBS, and the like, because their sponsors wouldn't go for it.

I also liked the actor playing Harry, though I think I saw him on a series other than Arrow. I just can't recall off-hand which one.

eclark1894

Visionary
According to his filmography, he's been rather busy lately. He's also been on Burn Notice, Leverage, Warehouse 13 (another excellent series), The Gates, and several others.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I haven't watched Burn Notice this past season, but I do watch Leverage re-runs on Sundays. Warehouse 13 I haven't watched often either, but I agree it's a good series. Don't think I've ever seen The Gates.

Edited to Add:
Looks like I might have seen him in White Collar, the original CSI, and CSI Miami. I know I recognized him when I watched the first episode of Dresden Files.