• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Well, after wrestling with failing link buttons for close to two hours, I finally got the three links that I wanted plugged in to the site o_O

Time for food, and a little rest. Seliah, congratulations again on your victory speech :D
See you folks tomorrow :sleep:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
YAY!!! I'm sure you're glad that's over. :)

Oh, yeah. BIG time! LOL

Applause :applause: You did it :) And if you had only a couple brief pauses, that's doing good. I guess you're feeling relief now equal to passing final exams, knowing that it's over...haha.

Oh, yes. I'm very glad it's over and done with. They actually approved it, with just a couple of small changes. They need one name change, and one small bit of text added, but then it goes to print. Finally. LOL...

Have a good night, Sky. Get some rest. ;)

Terre

Renowned
Good morning. :)
My husband went from Geocities to what is now LycosTripod (I think that's how I'm used to seeing it) and is still there even though it is no longer free.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Yay! You're seeing the light again.

Wow, still had Tripod. Guess their paid service wouldn't be so bad....but their free sites used to have pop ups that would hit you in the face and knock you in the floor when trying to surf...haha.

Terre

Renowned
Hey Terre :) Yay! You're seeing the light again.

Wow, still had Tripod. Guess their paid service wouldn't be so bad....but their free sites used to have pop ups that would hit you in the face and knock you in the floor when trying to surf...haha.
That's why he decided to go with paid. He didn't want to move his site and didn't want ads for other things on his site.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's why he decided to go with paid. He didn't want to move his site and didn't want ads for other things on his site.
That was the main reason I left Lycos behind and got my first paid-for hosting, though I only lasted there about 3 or 4 years, and then a friend introduced me to DreamHost, which was having a good sale on one of their hosting packages back then, and I've been happily with them now for 10 years.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hi Miss B :)

Hey I've got a question for you. I think you mentioned someplace that when working with UV Layouts you usually make them about 5 pixels bigger to avoid seems. I was wondering what technique you use for doing that? In the past I've just used a brush/eraser around the edge of the UV shapes, but I want to do something more exact for a texture I'm working on. I want the bump map to have a border in places so that it will look like the fabric is sown at the seems.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hi GG, I don't use UVLayout software. I do all my UV mapping within Blender before exporting the OBJ and the UV layout/map. I suspect that may have been the misunderstanding.

What I do is make sure there's room around each of the islands on the UV map, and then in Photoshop, when I'm creating a texture map, I select an island and then increase my selection between 15 and 20 pixels. That way there's enough "bleeding" room so one piece's texture/color doesn't bleed into an adjacent piece. For example, when you have different texture/color, on a blouse's front and back than the sleeves. It's a good way to make sure each texture is applied to the piece it belongs to, and not any adjacent pieces.

That said, as far as giving the bump map a border, you could define the border as a separate matzone, and then when you're texturing it, you apply the bump map only to the matzone you want it to appear in. Hope that makes some sense.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hi GG, I don't use UVLayout software. I do all my UV mapping within Blender before exporting the OBJ and the UV layout/map. I suspect that may have been the misunderstanding.

What I do is make sure there's room around each of the islands on the UV map, and then in Photoshop, when I'm creating a texture map, I select an island and then increase my selection between 15 and 20 pixels. That way there's enough "bleeding" room so one piece's texture/color doesn't bleed into an adjacent piece. For example, when you have different texture/color, on a blouse's front and back than the sleeves. It's a good way to make sure each texture is applied to the piece it belongs to, and not any adjacent pieces.

That said, as far as giving the bump map a border, you could define the border as a separate matzone, and then when you're texturing it, you apply the bump map only to the matzone you want it to appear in. Hope that makes some sense.

Yes that makes sense. I was actually wondering about what you did in Photoshop, I was assuming it was there. I'm starting to realize I tend to work backwards in a sense, because I usually make a cut out of the islands (probably because I was using other people's textures in the past.) If I try to increase that cut out, things end up not lined up, but it should work if I just size up the islands.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm not sure I'm following you. Why are you "cutting" out pieces of the islands. You don't have to touch the mesh to make another mat zone. I usually just select the polys I want in a specific mat zone, and then apply it in Blender.

IOW, if you have a sleeve that you want to have a border around the armhole, I would select that row of polys and create a separate mat zone from the sleeve itself, perhaps sleeve_border or just border if that's the only place you're going to have one. You don't need to do anything to the mesh itself.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
This is probably one of my issues with UVs, I don't know how to talk about them correctly. What I do is more or less this, with the UV layout I do a white fill around the edges. Then I use Select Color to select the white, invert the selection, and then delete it. Then I put the image I want to use on a layer behind the white fill that used to have the UV.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhhh. OK, I put my color/textures on layers above the UV map. I don't delete the map. It's always there under the other layers. I give each mat zone a separate layer. The final map, in JPG format, isn't layered, but the layered PSD helps me keep the islands I'm texturing separate from one another so I don't have to worry about selecting more than I should.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Morning. Wow, I'm actually online before noon. Amazing!! :D

I also don't recall hearing anyone creating their textures the way GG does. That's a totally new method to me too.