• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Privateer for Dusk

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So this is one of two projects I’m working on. It’s still in a very early stage, but I brought it in to Poser to see how it actually behaved, and it’s not looking bad considering how early it is.

And since this is going to be a big project for me, I thought it would help encourage me as I go along if I posted my goals, and then crossed them off as I get them done. Although I’ll probably find I need to add to the list of stuff to do once I have more of the models made.

Also, I may need to find someone to model some boots, and possibly a hat.

To Do List:

Shirt:
  • Lots of smoothing adjustments needed for the sleeves.
  • The shirt needs to open more, want to be able to see Rodrigues chest hair
  • Also, should have a morph/pose to adjust how open the front of the shirt is.
  • Need to fix the ties on the front. They look to much like noodles. (note to self, maybe use them to redo kitten in the soup render).
  • I will need a morph to ‘deflate’ the sleeves so it will fit under the coat.
  • Fix bottom of the shirt and get it to blouse properly.
  • Convert to conforming clothing and weight map.
Pants:
  • More exact fitting needed.
  • Add some details like buttons on the side of the knees and lacing in the front.
  • Possible trans map for the bottom to create a shipwrecked look.
Belt:
  • I’m thinking a sash for the belt. Will need to make sure that it sits properly over the pants and shirt.
  • May also want a sword belt. Of course, that assumes that I will make a sword. . . On the other hand, weapons were usually not handed out until just before a battle to prevent mutiny.
Coat:
  • I have a starting place for the coat that was a failed attempt at my robe.
  • Sleeves will need to be completely redone, shouldn’t have made them in two pieces in MD.
  • Will need to make sure the sleeves line up correctly with the shirt, so you can see the ruffles at the edge of the shirt sleeves.
  • Also need cuffs for the sleeves.
  • The coat will need lapels and a collar.
  • Possibly add pockets.
  • Decide if buttons should just be texture, or geometry.
Vest:
  • I’m not sure if I will do a vest or not. My infatuation with a certain one handed TV pirate makes me want to, :inlove:but that will require a lot of additional morphs on the shirt to make everything fit.
Boots:
  • Need to figure out how to model boots, or find someone to collaborate with.
Hat:
  • Create a tricorn for the hat.
  • Also create a bandana to be used with or without the hat.
Textures!!!!!:
  • Everything will of course need textures. Right now I’ve just assigned colors to help me keep track of materials.
  • Will need to create UV maps once the geometry is done.
  • Will need bump maps as well.
  • Make sure materials make it easy for others to texture.
  • Textures for the Shirt (I'm thinking two versions one in white, one in black)
  • Textures for the Pants.
  • Textures for the Coat. (Again I'd like two sets. One black leather (see section on vest for why:x3:), also a more tradition red or blue.
  • Textures for the Belt
  • Textures for Hat
  • Textures for Bandana
So that's quite a list,:wow: and I'm probably forgetting things, and the texture section alone could be expanded way out, but at least this way I know what I'm trying to accomplish and I can see what I've done.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Is this going to be dynamic? If so, I'd like to make a suggestion on the coat.....cut away the front angling away from the center neck. If you don't, when Poser drapes the coat, the bottom is going to close and cover the legs, overlapping itself.

It looks good though!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Is this going to be dynamic? If so, I'd like to make a suggestion on the coat.....cut away the front angling away from the center neck. If you don't, when Poser drapes the coat, the bottom is going to close and cover the legs, overlapping itself.

It looks good though!

I'm planning on making it conforming, although on the shirt I have sleeves set up as a material group so if someone wanted to make them dynamic it would be easy. I'll also group the bottom of the coat that way for the same reason. Thanks for the tip about the line on the front of the coat. This is really just a raw template for me to adapt at the moment. I want to make the front much more square.

Looks great...

Thanks. It's a fun thing for me to work, although at times frustrating. Getting the pants to sit the way I want them too is the challenge of the moment.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...you may want to chat with either Ken or Ram about pants and getting them to work nicely for Dusk.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yep...you may want to chat with either Ken or Ram about pants and getting them to work nicely for Dusk.

Well, I was drifting a little too far from a realistic pattern which was why it wasn't working great. Pants aren't really made the way you'd think they'd be. But I'll keep that in mind when I get closer to making sure they work correctly when I conform them. For now they are actually sitting pretty well, although they are still a little low waisted.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
They look like they fit him nicely, and as far as them being a little low waisted, if the pants aren't being worn with a belt, and therefore needs belt loops, I don't think that's a fault. Is the top going to be fitted inside the pants, or will it be blousy (sp?), which would hide the top of the pants anyway.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
They look like they fit him nicely, and as far as them being a little low waisted, if the pants aren't being worn with a belt, and therefore needs belt loops, I don't think that's a fault. Is the top going to be fitted inside the pants, or will it be blousy (sp?), which would hide the top of the pants anyway.

Ah, so the waistband you see may or may not be the real waistband. In order to help me figure out where and how the pants and shirt would meet I made two identical waistbands so I could work on them individually and know how they met up. That being said, I'll probably keep the waistband on the pants because it helps a great deal.

Thanks for reminding me that top is going to be bloused:oops: I forgot I intended that. However, I certainly want the pants to be usable without the top. Cause you know, Dusk shouldn't be required to keep his shirt on :x3:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I mainly mentioned it because I know that with Dusk the way the mesh is created for pants is important for when you create the rigging...looking good so far.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I mainly mentioned it because I know that with Dusk the way the mesh is created for pants is important for when you create the rigging...looking good so far.

Is that because of the pelvis bone below the hip? Or something else? I'll have to look into it. I figure I'll need to do some work once I start rigging because I'm guessing somewhere I'm not aware of yet the mesh is too tight.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure I just know that the mesh needs to be similar to dusk's around the pelvic area...I haven't done anything for him yet so haven't had personal experience with this. I just remember Ken and Ram posting about it and that they had found a solution.

frogimus

Adventurous
I leave one site because of excessive cheesecake, and land in a patch of wild women with their beefcake. Is it too late to sneak out?

Seriously, tho - it's nice to see an outfit for the Dread Pirate Roberts, or maybe Jack Sparrow, or maybe...

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Nice outfit, GG! But can you let me know who the one handed pirate is? I am tv deficient ;)

And yes, frogi, we do likes our beefcake! Nom, NOM!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I leave one site because of excessive cheesecake, and land in a patch of wild women with their beefcake. Is it too late to sneak out?

Seriously, tho - it's nice to see an outfit for the Dread Pirate Roberts, or maybe Jack Sparrow, or maybe...

Hehe. Don't worry, you don't have to do shirtless renders. I just want it to be an option :rolleyes:. And actually the shirt is probably going to be the most complicated part of the whole thing, because I really want to get the look right with the puffy sleeves and blousing. So I hope someone let's him wear it.

And once this is done I look forward to whatever pirate inspired renders people come up with.

Nice outfit, GG! But can you let me know who the one handed pirate is? I am tv deficient ;)

Ah, that would be Captain Hook from Once Upon a Time played by Colin O'Donoghue.

Here's a good shot of one of his vests.