• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP Privateer for Dusk

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Ooooo, he is yum! Thanks, GG, I've never seen that show so I've missed his hotness. ROAW!!

Edit: Oh my actual, he's Irish to boot! Double ROAW!!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I mainly mentioned it because I know that with Dusk the way the mesh is created for pants is important for when you create the rigging...looking good so far.

So you were right, and I found out from Ken what I need to do before I get anywhere near rigging the pants. Thanks for the heads up because it sounds like things are really difficult if you don't start out right.

Ooooo, he is yum! Thanks, GG, I've never seen that show so I've missed his hotness. ROAW!!

Edit: Oh my actual, he's Irish to boot! Double ROAW!!

Yes, he has a very cute accent too. Although on the TV show there is a sort of British villain dialect they have created that he speaks with.

As for my project. I spent some time experimenting with weight mapping on the shirt. It's nothing I'll be able to use, but I needed to see how it would behave in Poser so I could figure out what adjustments to make to get it to behave properly. The sleeves look great when I run a cloth sim and let his arms down, and I think I need to do some go between between T and A poses to get the geometry to hang right before the real weight mapping begins.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I've been working a great deal on the shirt. I think I have the basic geometry the way I want, although there is going to need to be smoothing done.

Shirt:
  • Lots of smoothing adjustments needed for the sleeves.
  • The shirt needs to open more, want to be able to see Rodrigoes chest hair
  • Also, should have a morph/pose to adjust how open the front of the shirt is.
  • Need to fix the ties on the front. They look to much like noodles.
  • I will need a morph to ‘deflate’ the sleeves so it will fit under the coat.
  • Fix bottom of the shirt and get it to blouse properly.
  • Convert to conforming clothing and weight map.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Super cool outfit! The draping on the shirt is fabulous. You use Marvelous or Poser to get such nice folds or did you do that by hand? Really natural looking! :balloon03:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Super cool outfit! The draping on the shirt is fabulous. You use Marvelous or Poser to get such nice folds or did you do that by hand? Really natural looking! :balloon03:

Thanks. I made it in Marvelous Designer, although I had also run it through the cloth room for that image. A t-pose isn't that great for the sleeves , it tends to crunch them up at the shoulders, so I'm going to need to make a morph so it will look nice when his arms are down like that.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I've been slowly but surely working away. I got the pants rigged and weight mapped, although I'm sure I'll need to go back and refine it some.
Before I went on to the shirt, I wanted to get the coat's geometry done, in case I found any thing I needed to change.

I'm actually not using the first draft of the coat I had. I found some historical patterns and realized it was the wrong shape. Of course the historical patterns also made me realize how many pleats and overlapped fabric was in the tails of the coat to give it a fuller shape. Which doesn't work great in 3D. Not only would it be a lot of unseen polygons but it added way too much fullness and made it look more like a skirt.

So I've been tailoring the back and trimming away unneeded fabric. The back is coming along nicely although it still needs some work.

The spindly green arms are a quick fitting I did of the original shirt I did with the sleeves smoothed down. I was originally going to do a morph to fit the shirt under the coat, but I wanted to make sure the coat sleeves were the right length so the cuffs would stick out. What I found however is that the fullness in the shirt, makes the coat drape badly in front, and also not much of the shirt would even be visible. I'm thinking now that I will do a vest which will look like it has a shirt underneath. And then simply add the cuffs to the coat, again as if the shirt were underneath. That however has caused me to do a lot of rethinking of how the front will work.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Looking good in the render GG...sounds complicated.

Thanks. And yes, it's having complications I had quite expected. But that's okay. That's how we learn. I started trying to make a double breasted vest like the one in the picture of Hook I posted, but that's also proving tricky. Historically a lot of the vests would look like this:

Which I could make easily, although this particular example is a little fancy for my guy. On the other hand that's what textures are for. That's one of the things I keep trying to decide, how historical I want to be.