• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP RigControl for Dawn 2.0

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I was wondering if people could confuse this script for a full body posing tool? This is meant to help with ghost bones (red dots) and posing ERCs (blue dots), making them more accessible to posing since we cannot reach them from the viewport. I have included the entire fingers and toes bones as an extra, since they are hard to reach in many cases, but this tool is not meant to pose the entire body - just the parts that are harder to reach.

Just hope there won't be confusion about what the tool is meant for. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Explain it well in the ReadMe, and on the product page, and folks shouldn't get confused. You did name it ControlRig, not ControlPose or PoseController. I'm sure there are those who don't pay full attention to the names of script products, but I don't think most folks would think this tool is for helping someone pose Dawn 2.0.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Miss B have a valid point Ken , people may think it is for controlling the rig , and nothing to do with posing , and it is a posing tool , description should explain everything .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you for the feedback. There will also be a video tutorial explaining what the script does. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That will certainly explain things well, assuming folks would watch it. I don't usually watch videos, but for using a script tool I would, as that's something "new" even for someone who's been using the software for years.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That will certainly explain things well, assuming folks would watch it. I don't usually watch videos, but for using a script tool I would, as that's something "new" even for someone who's been using the software for years.

I place the demo videos on the product page as the 1st promo image, so people can see the script in action before deciding to purchase. Some have claimed they only decided to purchase after watching the video, because showing is better than explaining. Some of my tools do things in ways never done before in Poser, so it's hard to explain. I show what it can do, and let people find where they could use it in their own workflow. That's the part where I believe videos do a better job. :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I place the demo videos on the product page as the 1st promo image, so people can see the script in action before deciding to purchase. Some have claimed they only decided to purchase after watching the video, because showing is better than explaining. Some of my tools do things in ways never done before in Poser, so it's hard to explain. I show what it can do, and let people find where they could use it in their own workflow. That's the part where I believe videos do a better job. :)
you make always nice videos with explanation , it would definitely help the users , it is not as difficult as it looks like , other way what the point for a tool to pose easier right ? once they use it they will not want to do it other way ..

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
you make always nice videos with explanation , it would definitely help the users , it is not as difficult as it looks like , other way what the point for a tool to pose easier right ? once they use it they will not want to do it other way ..

This kind of visual posing is new in Poser, so I don't know what to expect. For those used to posing the face rig with chips, it would be similar, but I think it's easier with this tool because the control points are always unobstructed and also do not obstruct the face. No matter in what pose the figure is, we can always clearly see the control points from the script panel. Same thing with the hand controls, which tend to be hard to see and reach when the figure is posed - but not when using this tool. Very similar to "Power Pose" in DS, but customized to D2F, plus my super-charged memory dots. I find it useful, and I hope people will like it too. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Excellent. Can the user adjust that threshold?

If by threshold you mean how much the dial changes when we move the mouse, we can use the SHIFT. CTRL and ALT keys to increase the sensibility. This is similar to how I did it in Dial Master.

unreal

Noteworthy
Hmm. Maybe I got it wrong. I thought there was a threshold for the decision of which axis to rotate. Would it be a function of the view angle? I suppose that so long as it does what I think it should do (Sketchup is pretty good with that), then it wouldn't matter.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Hmm. Maybe I got it wrong. I thought there was a threshold for the decision of which axis to rotate. Would it be a function of the view angle? I suppose that so long as it does what I think it should do (Sketchup is pretty good with that), then it wouldn't matter.

Oh I see what you mean now. That would be the new "dominant axis" feature I have added to the tool. If you are moving the mouse more up-down than side-side, it understands it's an up-down motion, and only controls the 1-axis. Which axis depends on the control point joint orientation. For most joints, up-down controls X, and side-side controls Z axis. Dragging with the middle button controls Y, so we always have control of all joint rotations. We also have an option to disable X or Z axes, but in most cases, the dominant axis should do the job on its own by automatically filtering the dialing direction. :)

unreal

Noteworthy
Fair enough. As I've learned recently (rotator cuff surgery) most joints are hinge. The shoulder is not one of them. Nor is the hip. Which explains all the JCMs there :D

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Fair enough. As I've learned recently (rotator cuff surgery) most joints are hinge. The shoulder is not one of them. Nor is the hip. Which explains all the JCMs there :D

The thigh and shoulder joints are typically the toughest to handle because they can bend in any direction. I call those "ball joints", like in ball-jointed dolls. When it comes to rigging, those are indeed the most challenging. ^__^

unreal

Noteworthy
The shoulder also has translation. I have a very intimate idea of exactly what every single tendon in there is doing. Especially now that they've been stitched back together :D

I like some of the stuff I've seen Chris post on Dawn 2 movement on those joints.

I actually hate doing finger joints the most. Sooooooo many joints.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The shoulder also has translation.

I believe joint translations only work in Poser. It was a new feature introduced in P11.

I actually hate doing finger joints the most. Sooooooo many joints.

Indeed. 3 joints per finger, 5 fingers per hand, plus the hand and metacarpal bones, making 17 joints per hand, or 34 per figure. Since each joint bends into 3 different directions, that means adjusting 51 weight maps per hand, not counting the bulge maps. Making gloves can be quite a chore. Too many joints. >__<

unreal

Noteworthy
This is exactly why morphing and textures is the way to go. I wish superfly did displacement maps correctly.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is exactly why morphing and textures is the way to go. I wish superfly did displacement maps correctly.

Micro-poly displacement for Superfly has been in my request list from the very beginning. The thing was that Blender Cycles didn't support it when Poser adopted it, and even a year later, it was still in beta\experimental mode. The dev team is now concentrating on making the unimesh Poser version, which is quite a challenging project. Chances are that not much will be happening until they get it done (small team), and I am rooting for them on this. :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Micro-poly displacement for Superfly has been in my request list from the very beginning. The thing was that Blender Cycles didn't support it when Poser adopted it, and even a year later, it was still in beta\experimental mode. The dev team is now concentrating on making the unimesh Poser version, which is quite a challenging project. Chances are that not much will be happening until they get it done (small team), and I am rooting for them on this. :)
That so true , you need first Unimesh to have proper working of micro displacements on figures , we would finally have proper use of middle gray displacements as well

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
After all the issues I have with rigging in Poser MOST of it's caused by not having a unimesh so my hope that sometime in the near future I'll be beta testing that code ... SOONER THAN LATER! I'm so wanting this for Poser!