• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I just reached 7 feet :wub: .. :thankyou2:

I am going to use the sculpting to generate base grayscale texture guides that will be painted over ( colored) to make all the layers from color,bump,displacement , AO , translucent and specular roughness .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I don't think that the program you use is as important as the skill of the user and both of you are very skilled and have developed good work flows. I agree about base topology needing to be good.
That is correct Pen, as long the program allow you to move faces and smooth it, you can do that, You already know what looks good or not so the rest is just little confidence and a lot practice . I think the practice is the major key, because just knowledge is not enough.

I just learned from a book 2 days ago that there is a reflection around the outside iris edges I never saw in references or thinking about or study about in the school ,you never too old to learn something new.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks...continuing to practice. Old and slow but I'm getting there slowly. As a retired teacher I see learning as something that is lifelong, I don't think learning ever stops.

I hope it's okay I've posted an image of a dress I'm doing for Dawn 2 to show you that I have progressed since we used to have that thread where you were helping us all to learn. It's going to be dforce. Still very much a wip.
dforce dress Dawn 2 fized sleeves sml.jpg

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I was just looking for that thread! I thought it was the celebration thread... but now I can't find the T shirt tutorial...was sure I had bookmarked that part : (

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I just had a look in the zbrush section and couldn't see it either. I'm wondering if it was in the old forum as it was sometime back? I also couldn't see Dylan's thread and he had a lot of stuff there.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Thanks...continuing to practice. Old and slow but I'm getting there slowly. As a retired teacher I see learning as something that is lifelong, I don't think learning ever stops.

I hope it's okay I've posted an image of a dress I'm doing for Dawn 2 to show you that I have progressed since we used to have that thread where you were helping us all to learn. It's going to be dforce. Still very much a wip.
View attachment 69150
That's so well done Pen , you progressed so much with your work, just perfect ! I love it.
You are right , we never stop learning and evolving with everything we do. I like challenges , it is healthy for the brain to keep it busy figuring stuff out as long it is not too stressful .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I was just looking for that thread! I thought it was the celebration thread... but now I can't find the T shirt tutorial...was sure I had bookmarked that part : (
It all was in the old forum , the polygroup mini tutor reposted by Alisa is still in the Zbrush forum here , but the rest not.
However here is a new tutorial for the T-shirt I made and some other stuff you can check at at my channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/Mec4D/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=3 ( including the old video from the old t-shirt tutorial )
The workflow is still the same however I have new ways of doing stuff since I got some useful plugin for Zbrush that make it faster and better, not to forget about clothing patterns you can make or use the one in Zbrush with dynamics . For clothing that are very close up to the skin I still prefer my old workflow , but for anything else not so, sometimes you just need the topology to be in the same directions as your base figure when rigging clothing for posing or animation, but when using dforce or dynamic cloth is better to not have it , as the topology will stop the natural flow of the dynamic cloth in simulation .
I need to make some new tutor when time allows as I have some new stuff that can be very useful in creating your clothing on next level and get you out from the comfort zone for a moment ;)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Loving the chimp morph Cath!!!

Very impressive work and inspiring to see.

I feel he could reach out and rip my face off in an instant. Ha.
you too funny Chris :laugh:
thank you for the nice words! coming from you means a lot since you are the expert here in the animals sculpting .
It was a good challenge for me .. now just the details ..

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
That chimp morph is so elegant- I could totally see it with a bronze shader and a base, sold as a nice sculpture for D2 to decorate her flat with!

And i remember that you were once going to do a Z brush class- if you ever have time- I think it would sell really well!

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
That chimp morph is so elegant- I could totally see it with a bronze shader and a base, sold as a nice sculpture for D2 to decorate her flat with!

And i remember that you were once going to do a Z brush class- if you ever have time- I think it would sell really well!
Thank you , once the displacement is done yes, it could be a great bronze sculpture , I think it would not make sense to transfer it to Dusk2 , as there is not really reason for that, the male and female chimp is so little different from each other , splitting all the extra work with JCMs and shape rigging make no sense as most people would get just one anyway. Unimesh is unimesh , shape is what counts .

I was doing some Zbrush and other programs personal classes for beginners live , it takes a lot of time and dedications and patience , not easy job ... right @Pendraia ?
I remember when I was searching everywhere how to make shirt collar in Zbrush , there was not one video about beside retopology stuff , but the simple Zmodeler brush was the answer for all my needs and more, I figured it out as always. Zbrush can be overwhelming because of so many buttons and options and stuff , but the truth is all you need is smooth, move and Zmodeler brush to do cool stuff .
When I have little more time after the releases , we can do group live Zbrush session in a time that works best for the group, it gonna be a lot of fun to do stuff together live so I can share with you some tricks from my latest workflows, answer your question etc.. of course we will do private session in small group at a time .