• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Scatter Tool II Python Script for Poser 12

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Sure. Here's the embedded store in Poser 12's library. It's the last tab on the right. When you click it, it offers 3 different repositories: Included, Renderosity, and PoserSoftware. The first one is for installing contents bundled with P12, like the HW figures. The 2nd is for content purchased at Rendo. The last one is for content sold exclusively at PoserSoftware, such as Poser itself. The P12 scripts should be in the Renderosity section.

EmbeddedStore.jpg

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Ah! There it is! I was looking in the main UI instead of the library. :oops: Hmmm... It's rejecting the username/password. I used the username and password from Renderosity marketplace; what am I missing?

Hornet3d

Wise
I have tried both methods but I am afraid the script will not launch.

The message I get is as follows

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Poser 12 Content\Downloads\Runtime\python\Ken1171\Scatter Tool II P12\Scatter Tool II P12.py", line 6, in <module>
gui.execute()
File "H:\Poser 12\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 705, in execute
File "H:\Poser 12\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\Scat\PanelLauncher.py", line 25, in launch
File "H:\Poser 12\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 318, in __init__
File "H:\Poser 12\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 348, in loadPropsList
File "H:\Poser 12\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 353, in updateGroupsCombobox
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Geometry'

I do not understand the reference to H:\Poser 12 as I have no runtimes on my 'H' drive. I have tried the pointing the zip install to my Poser runtime drive but with the same result. My purchases and download runtimes are in my public documents folder and the script seems to have installed there correctly but it still will not run.

What am I doing wrong ?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ah! There it is! I was looking in the main UI instead of the library. :oops: Hmmm... It's rejecting the username/password. I used the username and password from Renderosity marketplace; what am I missing?

I think it's the same user name and password used to login at Renderosity. The password is case-sensitive, so we have to keep an eye on that (watch out for caps lock), and also make sure we have a connection. The user name and password for PoserSoftware is different, though, and needs a separate account, I believe.

I do not understand the reference to H:\Poser 12 as I have no runtimes on my 'H' drive. I have tried the pointing the zip install to my Poser runtime drive but with the same result. My purchases and download runtimes are in my public documents folder and the script seems to have installed there correctly but it still will not run.

Don't worry about "H:\Poser 12". When we compile Python into PYC, it remembers only where it was when compiled, and not where it is now when executed, so that means nothing. On the last line of the error message, it's giving us the main clue. When we launch Scatter Tool in Poser, it first looks for the Poser ground object, usually called "GROUND" by default. Until Poser 10, it was the ground plane, and from Poser 11 on, it is now the Construct, which is also called "GROUND" for backwards compatibility. The tool uses this object as the default to have a place to scatter to, until you choose something else. Make sure you have either the Poser ground plane, or the new Construct present on the scene when launching the script. You can also rename your default scatter object to "GROUND" (this name varies with the default language, like German and Japanese).

Based on the error message, it appears your scene has no "GROUND" object. That will stop the Scatter Tool on its tracks when initializing.

Hornet3d

Wise
I think it's the same user name and password used to login at Renderosity. The password is case-sensitive, so we have to keep an eye on that (watch out for caps lock), and also make sure we have a connection. The user name and password for PoserSoftware is different, though, and needs a separate account, I believe.

Don't worry about "H:\Poser 12". When we compile Python into PYC, it remembers only where it was when compiled, and not where it is now when executed, so that means nothing. On the last line of the error message, it's giving us the main clue. When we launch Scatter Tool in Poser, it first looks for the Poser ground object, usually called "GROUND" by default. Until Poser 10, it was the ground plane, and from Poser 11 on, it is now the Construct, which is also called "GROUND" for backwards compatibility. The tool uses this object as the default to have a place to scatter to, until you choose something else. Make sure you have either the Poser ground plane, or the new Construct present on the scene when launching the script. You can also rename your default scatter object to "GROUND" (this name varies with the default language, like German and Japanese).

Based on the error message, it appears your scene has no "GROUND" object. That will stop the Scatter Tool on its tracks when initializing.

First of all I can confirm the username and password are indeed the same ones you use to log into Renderosity as that is what I used to install the script into the purchases runtime.

Thank you for you help, I have a default scene I use for Poser to lunch into and it was that I used to check if the the script worked. As you accurately identified this does not have a ground in the scene so I added one but it still would not work. So I reset the new scene with the ground added as my launch state and closed and reopened Poser and the script launches correctly.

Thank you for your help and sorry to have bothered you.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
First of all I can confirm the username and password are indeed the same ones you use to log into Renderosity as that is what I used to install the script into the purchases runtime.

The login dialog is from Rendo, and only they know what happens there. Could this be a firewall keeping Poser from connecting to Rendo?

I reset the new scene with the ground added as my launch state and closed and reopened Poser and the script launches correctly.

Hmm, I thought it should suffice that "something" named "GROUND" would exist on the scene for the Scatter Tool initialization to succeed. In theory, anything with that name should do, but then I remember 'GROUND' might be a reserved word in Poser, and maybe we cannot name anything to that. Poser does not allow deleting its ground plane or the Construct from the scene. If we select the ground, and open the Objects menu, the "Delete" option is disabled. Same thing with the construct in Poser 11 and 12. I am not a fan of the construct, so first thing I did was to replace it with the Poser 10 ground plane. However, it just didn't occur to me that it would be possible to completely remove the ground from Poser, or why would one want to do that. Having a ground plane for characters to stand on is part of what makes an artistic composition look better. Poser also has a dedicated CTRL+G shortcut to make the ground invisible, so I wonder why would you remove the ground from Poser? And what happens when you press CTRL+G? Do you get an error? Since it won't allow deleting the object, I would assume it expects it to always exist, even if invisible after a CTRL+G.

Thank you for your help and sorry to have bothered you.

No bother, I am here for my customers. Please ask anytime you have questions. :D

Hornet3d

Wise
The login dialog is from Rendo, and only they know what happens there. Could this be a firewall keeping Poser from connecting to Rendo?

Hmm, I thought it should suffice that "something" named "GROUND" would exist on the scene for the Scatter Tool initialization to succeed. In theory, anything with that name should do, but then I remember 'GROUND' might be a reserved word in Poser, and maybe we cannot name anything to that. Poser does not allow deleting its ground plane or the Construct from the scene. If we select the ground, and open the Objects menu, the "Delete" option is disabled. Same thing with the construct in Poser 11 and 12. I am not a fan of the construct, so first thing I did was to replace it with the Poser 10 ground plane. However, it just didn't occur to me that it would be possible to completely remove the ground from Poser, or why would one want to do that. Having a ground plane for characters to stand on is part of what makes an artistic composition look better. Poser also has a dedicated CTRL+G shortcut to make the ground invisible, so I wonder why would you remove the ground from Poser? And what happens when you press CTRL+G? Do you get an error? Since it won't allow deleting the object, I would assume it expects it to always exist, even if invisible after a CTRL+G.

No bother, I am here for my customers. Please ask anytime you have questions. :D

I described what I did, thinking I had no ground in my scene I added a cloth plane from primitives and called it ground and tried to run the script which failed. I then noticed that the internal name was ground 1 so I went looking sure enough there was a ground actually there but the visible was unticked and there was no texture assigned to it in materials so I made it visible and added a texture and the script still did not work. Now I have been using the default scene for some time but it is updated each time I do an update to my character, such as a change of hairstyle or when I change skin materials so it has been played with quite a bit.

What I did notice was that in properties while the internal name was GROUND the name was marked as Ground 1. I have no idea when this was done or why, I can only assume it was by accident, anyway I changed it and the script worked. So the error was specific to my machine in that the ground was there but wrongly named. I went back to prove this was the cause and sure enough if I change the name back to ground 1 the script does not launch which is no surprise really, so put it done user error and I will put it down to senility

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What I did notice was that in properties while the internal name was GROUND the name was marked as Ground 1. I have no idea when this was done or why, I can only assume it was by accident, anyway I changed it and the script worked. So the error was specific to my machine in that the ground was there but wrongly named. I went back to prove this was the cause and sure enough if I change the name back to ground 1 the script does not launch which is no surprise really, so put it done user error and I will put it down to senility

Oh I see! If the ground plane or construct was not in Poser, and you added it to the scene, maybe this makes sense. The ground object is a prop, and whenever we add a prop to the scene, Poser automatically adds a sequential number to the end of the name. Maybe that's what happened? Technically speaking, it is not possible to remove the ground from Poser (cannot be deleted), so maybe they didn't predict this could happen.

The important thing is that the script is working for you now. Hope you have as much fun with it as I do. :)

PS: Oops, looks like you DID have the ground in the scene, but it was invisible, and somehow renamed to "GROUND 1". I didn't know it was possible to rename the ground, nor have I ever tried to. I went ahead and renamed the ground to ground22, and boom - the script won't launch. I think there is something I can do about this in the code, so it enforces using only internal names, so renaming the ground would not affect the tool.

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's a LIVE DEMONSTRATION VIDEO of some of the new features, where I recreate the promo image below, from beginning to end in only 12 minutes. Among the new features, I demonstrate the new positional jitter, random height, and ability of painting where we want things to be scattered using a brush directly on the scatter surface in Poser. How cool is that? Check the video and find out! ^____^

Hornet3d

Wise
I have just noticed that the IK Manager has now been released, so that is now in my runtime and you will be happy to know that it loaded correctly using the 'purchases' process and launches as expected. Boy am I going to have fun with both tools once real live gives me some time off.

Hornet3d

Wise
Here's a LIVE DEMONSTRATION VIDEO of some of the new features, where I recreate the promo image below, from beginning to end in only 12 minutes. Among the new features, I demonstrate the new positional jitter, random height, and ability of painting where we want things to be scattered using a brush directly on the scatter surface in Poser. How cool is that? Check the video and find out! ^____^

Hornet3d

Wise

Great Demo, Thanks

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have just noticed that the IK Manager has now been released, so that is now in my runtime and you will be happy to know that it loaded correctly using the 'purchases' process and launches as expected. Boy am I going to have fun with both tools once real live gives me some time off.

The IK Manager is a nice complement to the LockMaster when posing characters. I usually use them together. ^^

Hornet3d

Wise
The IK Manager is a nice complement to the LockMaster when posing characters. I usually use them together. ^^

I can certainly see how the two scripts would complement each other so LockMaster is in my wish list but not for long.

I think your video demos on your products are superb by the way.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Shame there isn't an upgrade option for previous owners.
The reason I don't currently use the tool. Bought it and the early release P12 came out at the same time. Couldn't afford the early upgrade price to P12 but did it anyway because there was no possible way I would be able to purchase it at full price later on. I'm old, poor, and somewhat damaged. I don't use P11 anymore. P12 is just that much better.

While the Scatter Tool itself is not overly expensive by any means; monetary conversion to $US and all the extra fees that come with international money grabbing and the like make it something that goes on the back burner for now. It isn't Ken's fault but I feel slightly cheated somehow. Purchasing obsolete. I like the tool. Think it's great in fact, but I cannot justify the repurchase at this time. I know the tool is a rewrite for Python 3.x. I know that it took time and effort for Ken to make this great product. I understand that this is not a simple update but Bondware has made me gun shy when it comes to new Poser purchases. Sadly; Ken isn't the only merchant who's work needs to be repurchased or abandoned from the workflow.