• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Scatter Tool II Python Script for Poser 12

Hornet3d

Wise
The reason I don't currently use the tool. Bought it and the early release P12 came out at the same time. Couldn't afford the early upgrade price to P12 but did it anyway because there was no possible way I would be able to purchase it at full price later on. I'm old, poor, and somewhat damaged. I don't use P11 anymore. P12 is just that much better.

While the Scatter Tool itself is not overly expensive by any means; monetary conversion to $US and all the extra fees that come with international money grabbing and the like make it something that goes on the back burner for now. It isn't Ken's fault but I feel slightly cheated somehow. Purchasing obsolete. I like the tool. Think it's great in fact, but I cannot justify the repurchase at this time. I know the tool is a rewrite for Python 3.x. I know that it took time and effort for Ken to make this great product. I understand that this is not a simple update but Bondware has made me gun shy when it comes to new Poser purchases. Sadly; Ken isn't the only merchant who's work needs to be repurchased or abandoned from the workflow.

There are many Python 2 scripts that I used to use and now I am back using an almost default Poser user interface. In my case at least I did have use of the scrips for some years and yet I still feel slightly cheated, in your case you did not have even that so I really do see where you are coming from. Of course it was not only the move to Python 3 but also the purchase of Poser by Renderosity and the shutting down of Hivewire3D market place that conspired to create this situation. I suspect that, if the Hivewire3D market place was still here it the Python 3 update would either be a free update or discounted for those that had the earlier version.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
It's life. Crap happens. Not Ken's fault and I do appreciate that there is a Python3.x version available. Just mentioning why I haven't bought it yet. At some point by summer's end I will hopefully. I saw Ken mention about Poser sales of his products in a thread somewhere and how they fair in comparison to DS product sales. I do realize that scripts, character morphs, and other such products are not the same thing and target different sales demographics, but I felt that I would provide this info as it very well may represent other current users of P12.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's life. Crap happens. Not Ken's fault and I do appreciate that there is a Python3.x version available. Just mentioning why I haven't bought it yet. At some point by summer's end I will hopefully. I saw Ken mention about Poser sales of his products in a thread somewhere and how they fair in comparison to DS product sales. I do realize that scripts, character morphs, and other such products are not the same thing and target different sales demographics, but I felt that I would provide this info as it very well may represent other current users of P12.

I am sure you are not alone and I would imagine any vendor would welcome any feedback as to the sales potential. One of my personal favorites is CKV-01 for Dawn which I have found to be very versatile and is superb value for money but I was surprised to find that the sales were nowhere near what I expected. There was clearly a lot of work put in the same way that the scripts were clearly hard work.

I think one of the problems is that at Renderosity Poser is clearly the poor relation which I suspect has a lot to do with the way the program was neglected for years by SM. That is not to say they did not provide updates but they were often updating wrong aspect of Poser. The scatter tool in a case in point in that it is a feature that most other such software has had for years but not Poser.

I think Renderosity is doing a great job with Poser 12 and Ken's scripts will help bring it up to dat but it will be a while before it starts to gain some of the ground it has lost.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

I appreciate you posting your concerns, and it was hard on all of us when the HW store closed. It took me months to transfer all my contents to Rendo, and just today I have finally finished submitting the last remaining parts. And then it took me a couple of months to understand the new way Rendo handles Python scripts packaging, validation, and installation - not because it was hard or overcomplicated, but mostly due to miscommunication and bugs in Poser and the Rendo backend that took long to fix.

I have worked hard with them to find and report when things didn't work, so they could fix it. I was the very first (and only) vendor to ever use this new system, so it was just me and Rendo to make it work, and now, it is finally falling into place. Until the new system finally started to work, they stopped me from releasing any new scripts from early March all the way to the last week of April, plus the period when I was still transferring my HW products to Rendo, and had nothing to sell there. So I was struggling as a vendor with lots of new products I couldn't sell for that long - it was brutal. I am still trying to get out of the red zone, and for that, I can only count on your support to keep me going.

I am sure you are not alone and I would imagine any vendor would welcome any feedback as to the sales potential. One of my personal favorites is CKV-01 for Dawn which I have found to be very versatile and is superb value for money but I was surprised to find that the sales were nowhere near what I expected. There was clearly a lot of work put in the same way that the scripts were clearly hard work.

I was surprised as much as you when it didn't sell well. VolpeBox and I put a lot of work in the making, and we were sure people would love it because Dawn had nothing even remotely like that. It was so bad that Volpe left and never came back. I told him it would sell, but it didn't, so I can't blame him for leaving. This is a very unpredictable market. Mec4D is sure it would sell well for D2F, but I wouldn't be so sure at this point. We will see.

I think one of the problems is that at Renderosity Poser is clearly the poor relation which I suspect has a lot to do with the way the program was neglected for years by SM. That is not to say they did not provide updates but they were often updating wrong aspect of Poser. The scatter tool in a case in point in that it is a feature that most other such software has had for years but not Poser.

My thoughts exactly. SMS was working hard on Poser, but on all the wrong things. Perhaps their major flaw was never understanding the importance of content for Poser to exist. When they finally decided to do something about it, it was too little, too late. They thought they could get away by just selling Poser as another one of their software line up, and even closed Content Paradise, without understanding that without contents, Poser is useless.

This is why Poser is in better hands with Rendo. Nobody understands the importance of content more than them - a company that (according to their own statement) was born out of Poser and its contents. SMS also grossly misunderstood who the Poser market was made of, pricing Poser out of the reach of hobbyists, and trying to position it in a "professional" market that has never existed. The best example of that was when they claimed that Poser was "the complete character animation suite for professionals". That statement is SO wrong and misplaced. Poser IK is so primitive it can't even keep a foot on the ground, or in place when animating characters. SMS also made the serious mistake of not considering DAZ as competition. They claimed "we don't make contents" to imply they were not even in the same line of business, which soon enough blew back on their faces, and led Poser to its demise. That would never happen with Rendo.

I think Renderosity is doing a great job with Poser 12 and Ken's scripts will help bring it up to dat but it will be a while before it starts to gain some of the ground it has lost.

I totally agree. What gives me hope is that public announcement where Rendo has officially claimed they are working on a UNIMESH Poser version, and that will be the most significant step Poser has taken since it was first released back in 1999 (last century?). Without native unimesh support, Poser cannot compete in this market, putting it in serious disadvantage. I had several conversations about this with Larry Weinberg (original Poser creator), and he said they were considering doing it in Poser 12, but then SMS disbanded the whole dev team soon after, and Poser went into hibernation for years. That's why Rendo has named their Poser revival campaign as "Poser pulse is getting stronger", because it was found near death when acquired. It was defeated by the same competition SMS claimed didn't exist to the very end.

We can say Poser is being reborn in version 12, and I want to contribute with new scripts that may attract people back to it. The end of the HW store, the Python 2 end-of-life, and moving to the Rendo store were just bumps in the way. But in the end, no matter what I do, it is the community that will decide if Poser will survive or not, by supporting the vendors. Poser is nothing without contents, so if the contents sell, Poser will be fine.

Last edited:

Nod

Adventurous
Folk didn't buy CKV-01? I bagged that as soon as it came out! It's an excellent add-on for Dawn.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Folk didn't buy CKV-01? I bagged that as soon as it came out! It's an excellent add-on for Dawn.

I was indeed convinced there was no way it wouldn't sell, but prejudice against HW and Dawn ended up affecting the sales. I thought if I made something cool, people would look past prejudice, but they didn't. It's the power of social media telling people what to believe.

Hornet3d

Wise
The fact that Hivewire3D tried to close the divide between Poser and Daz Studio by having a figure that worked in both was seen unforgivable by some, hence the bad press. It also gave users reasons to stay with Poser rather than take the G route which went against the Poser is dead mantra.

I have have had nothing but pleasure from using Dawn SE and for many of my renders the CKV-01 is my go to suit, it has so many options and colours to work with so it is really the ones believing the hype that lose out and sadly the vendors that put in so much work, they deserved better.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
I thought if I made something cool, people would look past prejudice, but they didn't. It's the power of social media telling people what to believe.
Sad indeed Ken. I avoid social media like a plague. Deleted my FB account a while ago and also my Twitter account. Open both for following Art groups and websites, both accounts become at last a burden.
Cross fingers for you that your scripts for Poser 12 become all successful.
They are awesome.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Cross fingers for you that your scripts for Poser 12 become all successful.
They are awesome.

Thanks! It's an odd situation, where I am making scripts for an "early access" Poser 12, where everything about Python has changed. Different ZIP packaging, new Python version, different folder structure, new purchase verification (trying to save Poser Python scripts from extinction), and new installation process. I like how it is now - much easier to install, and less chance of doing it wrong. No more fumbling with ZIP files - all installations are automatic, and show immediately in the Scripts menu, no more Poser restarts required. All nice and dandy, but it took months for everything to work properly with Poser and the Rendo store to support all this. My scripts have been spearheading all this with Rendo, and I am happy things finally started to click together. ^^

This week I have released 2 updates for existing scripts, where IK Manager gets an option to skip incompatible figure warnings, and Light Dots gets a new option to rename all Shadow Lite Cams to match the names of the lights in your scenes. I never understood why Poser puts random names on these cams, making it impossible to know which light they belong to. After renamed, the Shadow Lite Cams will now match the light names, so it will be easy to know which is which. Those are free new features for existing owners of these scripts.

There are also 2 new scripts being tested for release. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks! It's an odd situation, where I am making scripts for an "early access" Poser 12, where everything about Python has changed. Different ZIP packaging, new Python version, different folder structure, new purchase verification (trying to save Poser Python scripts from extinction), and new installation process. I like how it is now - much easier to install, and less chance of doing it wrong. No more fumbling with ZIP files - all installations are automatic, and show immediately in the Scripts menu, no more Poser restarts required. All nice and dandy, but it took months for everything to work properly with Poser and the Rendo store to support all this. My scripts have been spearheading all this with Rendo, and I am happy things finally started to click together. ^^

This week I have released 2 updates for existing scripts, where IK Manager gets an option to skip incompatible figure warnings, and Light Dots gets a new option to rename all Shadow Lite Cams to match the names of the lights in your scenes. I never understood why Poser puts random names on these cams, making it impossible to know which light they belong to. After renamed, the Shadow Lite Cams will now match the light names, so it will be easy to know which is which. Those are free new features for existing owners of these scripts.

There are also 2 new scripts being tested for release. :)

I downloaded the update for the IK manager overnight and all is well, I also like the change because, as you say in the update email, the warning can get annoying if you are working on a big scene.

I like the new way of installing and it should be a real boon to those new to Poser as it is so straight forward. I am glad that they kept the option to install from a zip though as I have my content broken down so I can still place the content where I want with less trouble. I am happy with the scripts being installed through the purchased process which is a breeze.

I hope all this means that your hard work will be rewarded, great scripts with lots of helpful functions and a easy way to install what is not to like?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I downloaded the update for the IK manager overnight and all is well, I also like the change because, as you say in the update email, the warning can get annoying if you are working on a big scene.

I am working on a new script that detects all installed scripts from me and allows launching them from a centralized location. It also doubles as a script uninstaller, which is helpful when installing updates. This might be the very first script uninstaller Poser ever had, so people won't have to do it manually anymore.

I like the new way of installing and it should be a real boon to those new to Poser as it is so straight forward. I am glad that they kept the option to install from a zip though as I have my content broken down so I can still place the content where I want with less trouble. I am happy with the scripts being installed through the purchased process which is a breeze.

During development, I often test installing scripts from ZIPs, and even this has been automated from File->Install From ZIP Archive. This has been very helpful, for we no longer have to search for the right folder to unZIP things to, and scripts show immediately on the Scripts menu without restarts. However, I am still not a fan of browsing menus to launch a script, and that's what has motivated me to create this new script launcher/uninstaller script. It's easier than creating a button on the Scripts Palette, and it's not limited to only 10 buttons. It dynamically populates the list depending on what you have installed, and has a button to refresh in case you have changed something. I don't know if people will like it, but it's useful to me.

I hope all this means that your hard work will be rewarded, great scripts with lots of helpful functions and a easy way to install what is not to like?

Me too. Some people told me they are holding up to Poser 11 because of old scripts, but Rendo is bringing some from Netherworks to P12, and hopefully some from D3D as well, so that won't be an excuse for long.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Me too. Some people told me they are holding up to Poser 11 because of old scripts, but Rendo is bringing some from Netherworks to P12, and hopefully some from D3D as well, so that won't be an excuse for long.
Never could understand this. Holding up on old software because old scripts is contra productive. Why should script writer release new scripts when everybody is using old software?
There comes a time when you have to let go old outdated stuff. Make place for new stuff and motivate script writer to write new awesome scripts.

Hornet3d

Wise
I am working on a new script that detects all installed scripts from me and allows launching them from a centralized location. It also doubles as a script uninstaller, which is helpful when installing updates. This might be the very first script uninstaller Poser ever had, so people won't have to do it manually anymore.

During development, I often test installing scripts from ZIPs, and even this has been automated from File->Install From ZIP Archive. This has been very helpful, for we no longer have to search for the right folder to unZIP things to, and scripts show immediately on the Scripts menu without restarts. However, I am still not a fan of browsing menus to launch a script, and that's what has motivated me to create this new script launcher/uninstaller script. It's easier than creating a button on the Scripts Palette, and it's not limited to only 10 buttons. It dynamically populates the list depending on what you have installed, and has a button to refresh in case you have changed something. I don't know if people will like it, but it's useful to me.

The new install/uninstall script is a great idea anything than makes installing and updating scripts has to be a real plus.

I am more then happy with installing scripts from the purchased section of the library it is other content that is an issue as I have my content installed in a vast number of runtimes but even here the install from zip is an improvement on the old manual so again another step forward.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Never could understand this. Holding up on old software because old scripts is contra productive. Why should script writer release new scripts when everybody is using old software?
There comes a time when you have to let go old outdated stuff. Make place for new stuff and motivate script writer to write new awesome scripts.

Perhaps the issue is with the way the Poser workflow was designed - only 1 single thing at a time. Only 1 selection, only 1 operation. Some of my favorite scripts from P11 are the ones who allow doing things over multiple selections. Perhaps the most painful is editing figure materials, where V4 has over a dozen MAT zones for skin, and we can only edit 1 at a time, even if we want to apply the same settings to all of them. Rendo is coming up with improvements on that area, but it only allows copying the same unedited material to multiple zones. This is going towards the right direction, but I only want to apply a material to multiple zones IF I had it modified, so it doesn't do me any good. My SkinEdit P12 script should help with that, and it went to internal beta today.

The new install/uninstall script is a great idea anything than makes installing and updating scripts has to be a real plus.

Thanks for the feedback! As usual, I initially made it just for myself, and I wasn't sure if other people would find it useful. Most people would be probably using it just to launch my scripts without having to delve into menu hunting. So far I have been using the Poser built-in Scripts palette, but only 10 buttons is not good enough to me. Setting up these buttons is also a hassle, since if we do it from Poser, they will vanish when we close it. I also don't like that if the script has many parts, Poser will merge them all with other scripts, making a mess.

The "Scripts Manager P12" auto-populates the list based on what we have installed, and there is no limit for how many scripts it can show. If we install or uninstall scripts, we can just press the refresh button to get the updated buttons list. I will have to start its own dev thread. :)

I am more then happy with installing scripts from the purchased section of the library it is other content that is an issue as I have my content installed in a vast number of runtimes but even here the install from zip is an improvement on the old manual so again another step forward.

Oh yes, all these installation automations only apply to scripts. It comes down that script installation is more critical than general 3D contents, since it used to be installed on the Poser Python root folder. Many times people had reported a script "didn't work" because they had installed it incorrectly. Some programs to handle ZIP files didn't respect path case sensitivity, couldn't preserve the folder structure, or people just installed them at the wrong place. It was obviously that asking customers to do this manually was a recipe for disaster.

Conversely, my scripts require removing the older version before installing updates, and Poser can't uninstall anything. I find myself having to write long explanations to customers on how to locate and remove the older version, and I KNOW for a fact that many will not read anything. Even Rendo had warned me about it, since I am the one who gives tech support for my scripts. That's why the upcoming "Scripts Manager P12" includes a script uninstaller, so people don't need to know how to do this manually. Why should they, right?