• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Dreamer Yes! Silo is like a comfortable old pair of shoes to me. :) I have a modo license but modo just doesn't click with me. Same with Hexagon. I see from the scene editor list that you're making "glow" and "emitter" meshes; a good habit for luminous models. Silo is up to 2.5.6 now, if you want to update (free for existing license).

Watchtowers and viaducts for the grey Havens as of this morning...
View attachment 68114
Yes very much like a comfortable old pair of shoes. I got on ok with Hex other than how it kept crashing.
Only really need the glow and emitter meshes for use in poser, DS can work without them so it dose depend on where I am sending the model as to if I will included them or not.
This was yesterdays play
OutsideLight.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have Silo as well, though it's my second modeling app. I'm a Blender user for a very long time, but the one thing I had trouble with in Blender was modeling clothes, but thanks to a whole bunch of Silo tutorials by Fugazi over at Renderosity, I've gotten fairly comfortable with Silo, and I find it easier to do clothes in Silo, so when I want to make clothes, that's where I would go.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I have Silo as well, though it's my second modeling app. I'm a Blender user for a very long time, but the one thing I had trouble with in Blender was modeling clothes, but thanks to a whole bunch of Silo tutorials by Fugazi over at Renderosity, I've gotten fairly comfortable with Silo, and I find it easier to do clothes in Silo, so when I want to make clothes, that's where I would go.
I have tried Blender but just can't get to grips with the interface

Miss B

CV-BEE
Have you tried the newer interface . . . version 2.8 or 2.9? Completely different than the version 2.79 I've been using for a long time.

I believe the new UI was specifically created because so many were finding the 2.79 UI hard to get around in. You should take a look and see, if those aren't the versions you've played with.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Have you tried the newer interface . . . version 2.8 or 2.9? Completely different than the version 2.79 I've been using for a long time.

I believe the new UI was specifically created because so many were finding the 2.79 UI hard to get around in. You should take a look and see, if those aren't the versions you've played with.
Yeah I did and found it even worse lol

Miss B

CV-BEE
Uh oh. I've downloaded both, but haven't tried either one. I've been using Blender since version 2.45, which didn't really have a UI of sorts, so really loved it when it came out with one for version 2.5x (I think 2.52 was the first one I had). I'm just not interested in relearning the UI a second time, but I've had access to a forum with a group of folks who have taken, or are taking, a course I signed up for about 4 years ago (lifetime access is wonderful), and most of them are using the newer versions which the class has been rewritten for. It looks like an easy, "clean" UI, but I'm so used to the 2.79 now, I don't know if I want to relearn it.

That said, however, they've come out with some cool add-ons which don't work in the older versions, so I may have to "bite the bullet" and learn 2.9 just so I can play with the newer cool add-ons.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's cool Seachnasaigh. I have those flowers too (except for the roses but could prob add something else easy enough)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Thank you, @Rae134 and @Miss B ! :sneaky:

@Rae134 Yeah, if you don't have the "briar rose" pack, that prop would simply not be there in the scene, and you could fill the space with something else. ;) I didn't like the red curtains in the building windows; I replaced them and in the night render (running now) the new version looks better. Once I'm satisfied with the materials, I'll save the prop assemblies, and extract the OBJs. By the way, for those who are inclined toward animation, the lamps are automatically animated, as is the harbor water ripples (and the laver water). I plan two major preloads, one for the grey ship sitting in harbor, and one for the grey ship sailing in the open sea

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks...I have created clones a long time ago. So I'm sort of familiar with the process. 3DOutlaw iirc did a tutorial for V4 and Dawn years back. Much appreciate the detailed explanation...I agree wholeheartedly about Rob. I got to know him a little when shadermixer first came out and he was one of the best sources of information along with one or two others.

So how do we create clones? The shape, I mean, not how to set it up in DS. Is it all manual reshaping, or is there simpler/quicker way around it?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to create clones for a figure?

So how do we create clones? The shape, I mean, not how to set it up in DS. Is it all manual reshaping, or is there simpler/quicker way around it?
I did post a quick steps for creating clones with a link Show Us Your Dawn Renders! in the Dawn thread. It does tend to be manual reshaping. I think if I was doing it now I would use Zbrush. I'm not sure if projection master in there would be easier than a manual reshaping. I also really want at the moment templates but I'll create my own for Dawn 2 as I go I think. I doubt that will be available until the release.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I did post a quick steps for creating clones with a link Show Us Your Dawn Renders! in the Dawn thread. It does tend to be manual reshaping. I think if I was doing it now I would use Zbrush. I'm not sure if projection master in there would be easier than a manual reshaping. I also really want at the moment templates but I'll create my own for Dawn 2 as I go I think. I doubt that will be available until the release.

Thanks for the info! Ok, so the process is pretty much manual then. I though we could maybe use the Transfer Utility to project one shape to the other to create the clone shape, or at least get a starting point to clean up. DawnSE has clones for V4 and all of the Genesis, and I don't recall from where I've got them, because back then I didn't even know how to use them. Now I wonder if they were manually created in ZBrush, or if there was some way of projecting a shape into the other.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
They would have been manually created. There were some up on ShareCG before Daz got them taken down. There was a tutorial on Hivewire Forums for a v4 clone using a pose that was created by 3Doutlaw.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
They would have been manually created. There were some up on ShareCG before Daz got them taken down. There was a tutorial on Hivewire Forums for a v4 clone using a pose that was created by 3Doutlaw.

I indeed have clones for DawnSE that include V4 and all of the Genesis, and I wonder if there will be those for Dawn2 as well. It's hard when they don't let those be distributed.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Night test shots of the Grey Havens... The water looks OK at night, lit obliquely - good. The lamps in the watchtowers look about right. I don't like the biolumenescent globe between the hands of the statues at the harbor entrance. I've re-worked the material for that, and now have the servers pounding out a test animation. The water is also animated, with just the constant gentle interference waves of a sheltered body of water.

Grey Havens pier night C02.jpg

I didn't like the result of the red silk curtains behind the window glass of the buildings; I replaced them with reed blinds.
Grey Havens entry night 01Apr - T02.jpg

The servers are also working on a test animation of the yellow lamps.