• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

"Spin to Win" Render Challenge! - CLOSED!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, now that's a great idea Satira. ~makes a note for future render challenge~

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
@Stezza I'm sorry you feel excluded. We cannot please everyone. There are specific reasons we chose to have this challenge as it's being outlined.

As Satira said, we can have another challenge that is centered around making morphs. This one is about using existing morphs that are available for all.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
@Stezza I'm sorry you feel excluded. We cannot please everyone. There are specific reasons we chose to have this challenge as it's being outlined.

exclusion doesn't worry me... the fact that the rules of exclusion aren't in the first post to start with and are made up as we go along is the contentious issue.. :cautious:

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
So, what we have been doing is clarifying the terms of a render challenge that was posted yesterday. "Made up as we go along" is entirely not fair. This thread is for discussion of the challenge which is what we have been doing. Whatever has not been updated in the first post I will update myself tomorrow.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
exactly... discussion on the challenge .. not on continuously major changes of rules which should of been in place to start with.

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
exactly... discussion on the challenge .. not on continuously major changes of rules which should of been in place to start with.
Have you considered we didn't anticipate the confusion? We are human after all.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
if you haven't guessed already, I'm a real stickler for rules and for them being in place.. :cool:

LisaB

Staff member
Co-Founder
if you haven't guessed already, I'm a real stickler for rules and for them being in place.. :cool:
I can certainly understand that. If this were an official contest perhaps I would feel differently about this, however, this is a render challenge with specific criteria "Dial Spin". How you interpret Dail Spin is very different from what we all expected so we are clarifying.
no
because you have been doing it long enough to know... sorry.

We have a bunch of CV's and myself who have reviewed the initial post for this thread without seeing an issue. If we failed in making the intentions clear well then it's something we will learn from and will correct for this challenge. I will look at it tomorrow.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
being a first grade umpire in the most popular summer sport here in Oz we are trained to look for situations beforehand that may arise no matter how far fetched it may seem so as to have a clear and definite answer if such a situation ever arises in a game... I can see this wasn't done hence all the confusion and changes.

my summation would be to send this thread to never regions and start again with clear and concise rules for participation. ;)

if there are prizes offered by HW3d which this is then it is official IMHO

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I bet you don't now lol
:flower02: :lol: :flowers:

1565502439563.png

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Yes Stezza I can, but you're unique in that you can create any morphs you want from within Carrara, as it also does modeling, which is something Poser and DAZ Studio users don't have access to. Also, most folks who don't have, or know how to use, separate modeling software, are then at a disadvantage, and can only rely on morph packs others have created.
Considering that I have a tutorial (which I purchased at Renderosity a year or two back) on how to create morphs in Poser that's not entirely true. I haven't checked Daz Studio for equivalent tools. However, some of us also do have modeling software (Blender, & used to have Hexagon) and probably could create a morph...problem would be getting back to Poser/DS alive and functioning. I've never done the whole process. Though, seriously, I was considering learning how to do so to get the kitty faces I wanted. I wanted old beat-up clawed and bitten tomcats, not a bunch of sweet young cuddle cats like what come in the sets I have. Also, I wanted some that had been "genetically edited" due to them being in a Sci-Fi story. Just a matter of some additional morphs, I'm sure.
Yes, we do need additional clarification in the rules, and we do need additional contests. Different themes each time.

Mustakettu85

Motivated
problem would be getting back to Poser/DS alive and functioning. I've never done the whole process.

It's not difficult at all in either case. If you google "loading a morph target in poser", an old tutorial involving Hexagon and Poser comes up, hosted at the DAZ wiki of all places; I'm not a Poser expert but from what I see in Poser 11, the process seems to be the same.

In DS, with native weight-mapped figures, you can't get around exporting only a head anymore, though; you have to export the whole figure. And you need to make sure you are not exporting a subdivided mesh.
These points may or may not be an issue for native Poser figures.

And DS has the so-called "deformers" that are very similar to Poser/Carrara/Wings3D magnets; it's perfectly possible to create a new full-face (or full-body) character morph using them.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
It's not difficult at all in either case. If you google "loading a morph target in poser", an old tutorial involving Hexagon and Poser comes up, hosted at the DAZ wiki of all places; I'm not a Poser expert but from what I see in Poser 11, the process seems to be the same.

In DS, with native weight-mapped figures, you can't get around exporting only a head anymore, though; you have to export the whole figure. And you need to make sure you are not exporting a subdivided mesh.
These points may or may not be an issue for native Poser figures.

And DS has the so-called "deformers" that are very similar to Poser/Carrara/Wings3D magnets; it's perfectly possible to create a new full-face (or full-body) character morph using them.
Thank you! Very informative. Actually, I think I've read that tutorial, years ago...might have downloaded it. Sounds familiar. I'll have to go read it again and see if I can actually *use* it.

Michele

Eager
I saw this render challenge as an opportunity for people to experiment and see what could be created using morphs that everyone had access to.

It might be cool to have another challenge later where people could experiment with creating morphs using a modeling application such as Carrara, ZBrush, Blender, Silo, or whatever other modeling application they have access to.

So excited you guys are doing this challenge, as I love me some dial spinning. :)

Granted, not everyone will have access to every resource, as some are specific to Poser or DS, but there are still plenty here at Hivewire that work in both programs.

One doesn't have to buy anything, though doing so helps support the figure(s), which is a good thing. I think a separate challenge for self-created morphs is a good idea too. I couldn't participate in something like that because I don't have ZBrush, Silo, Blender, etc., but I love seeing what creative things other people can come up with.

And there are a few nice free morphs for the Hivewire figures. The DS/Poser freebie wiki folks have them listed here:

Dawn/Morphs - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki
Dusk - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki
Baby Luna - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki

I use this free set for DS a lot, alone as well as with the sets I've purchased from Hivewire.

And edited to "wave" at Kettu! Long time no see! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Michele, thanks for stopping by, and I sure hope we see some dial spun characters from you in this challenge. ;) I certainly liked the one you had posted that started the ball rolling for this render challenge.

Thanks for those links too. I've heard of that site, but don't think I've availed myself of any of it's goodies.

Michele

Eager
A dial morph I started working on last night. It's a safely traditional fairy so it might be a little boring, but I think she's cute. Her face uses dials from Dawn Starter Morphs, Dawn Face Shapes, and the Head Morph Resource Kit for Dawn. Her body uses dials from Dawn Body Shapes and two of RawArt's Mini Morphs: Hero and Muscular. Also used Ken's Narrow Shoulders and Perfect Pelvis. The texture is Fairy Lu for Baby Luna, which I think I bought at Renderosity.

Petunia_Test01.jpg
Petunia_Test02.jpg

And a comparison with default Dawn SE, just because...

Petunia_Test05.jpg

Petunia_Test06.jpg

Petunia_Test08.jpg

Michele

Eager
Hey Michele, thanks for stopping by, and I sure hope we see some dial spun characters from you in this challenge. ;) I certainly liked the one you had posted that started the ball rolling for this render challenge.

Thanks for those links too. I've heard of that site, but don't think I've availed myself of any of it's goodies.

I legit whooped out loud when I saw the newsletter in my email box, so you can be sure I'll be playing. :)

Thanks for letting me know you liked that one dial character. :) I ended up making two variations of her, and since I've recently learned how to make these characters into all-in-one preset dials (from a tutorial by digitdotz) I've mixing a bunch of my own dial morphs together too. Having way too much fun...

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I legit whooped out loud when I saw the newsletter in my email box, so you can be sure I'll be playing. :)

Thanks for letting me know you liked that one dial character. :) I ended up making two variations of her, and since I've recently learned how to make these characters into all-in-one preset dials (from a tutorial by digitdotz) I've mixing a bunch of my own dial morphs together too. Having way too much fun...
Love what you have done here! I really like the softness of her face! Excellent work!