• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Mischief and other things

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
How expensive is Amazon cloud storage for that many TB?
I was going to move to Hostgator from 1and1.com (some ftp isssues) but was told I can't use it for storage unless I do the professional package.

Hornet3d

Wise
How expensive is Amazon cloud storage for that many TB?
I was going to move to Hostgator from 1and1.com (some ftp isssues) but was told I can't use it for storage unless I do the professional package.

Not cheap, I started last year and at that time it was unlimited at £59.95 a year but I knew that would change as unlimited is not sustainable long term as others have found. Also Amazon had already withdrawn unlimited in the the US so I knew they would expend that to the UK. It was not surprise when it happened it but the price hike to £79.95/Tb was, that said it is around the same to their competitors. I also don't like the way the Amazon software works but discovered Goodsync which is a dream to use and it will sync with my Amazon drive.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have some Microsoft One Drive Space because I subscribe to their on-line MS Word package but not sure if it works like Dropbox.
Because Dropbox does sync, it causes your disk space to increase too, like storing the files double on your computer.
I want something that will be available but not use my drive space while it does it.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have some Microsoft One Drive Space because I subscribe to their on-line MS Word package but not sure if it works like Dropbox.
Because Dropbox does sync, it causes your disk space to increase too, like storing the files double on your computer.
I want something that will be available but not use my drive space while it does it.

That was my issue with the Amazon Drive software, you had to have an Amazon drive folder on your computer and then you had place a copy of all the files in there, thus duplicating everything you were backing up. Also if you delete any file it would delete both the local and the cloud copy of the folder.....dangerous. Goodsync is not like that, you point it at your cloud storage and the set up jobs. Each job has a source, in my case local, or left side and a destination my case cloud or right side, You can then decide if the sync is both way, left to right only, or right to left only. For example one job I have is called Poser Runtimes so I set the job up with my runtime drive on the left and point it at a folder on the right called Poser Runtimes, it is set for left to right only. To backup all I need to do is press analyze and it will look at the differences and list them showing the direction for each file then when I press sync it will sync left to right. At any point I can change the backup to go both ways or right to left only. Beauty is this is my actual runtimes not a second copy on my PC. As you would expect you can set it to auto run at a specific times and cutomise to your heart's content.

seachnasaigh

Energetic

You may synch your Dropbox, but you don't have to - I don't.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It has a setting in the setting menu to allow which, if any you sync.
If you choose not to sync a folder it is removed from dropbox or not added.
You won't see it in the dropbox folder on your computer unless you do add it.

Hornet3d

Wise
So I spoke too soon about repairing my ailing computer. Having copied all the data from a 1Tb drive that was failing on to a 2Tb drive that was not used much and had a lot of free space. Only when I tried copying the data back onto the new drive did I hit problems. Turns out that the 2Tb drive is also failing, not really a surprise as it is the same age and make as the other failing drive, both being original to this build that have been spinning most days for the best part of six years. So anyway, another replacement drive on order but I am amazed at the mischief that this computer has created in a very short time. I guess though they have been failing for a while and the added use has taken this second drive over the edge.

Hornet3d

Wise
On a slightly happier note, I am feeling a bit better.
I had been so dehydrated by the prep and test it took a bit to get back to nearly normal.
And we have a sunny day out there! :)

Great that you are feeling better and you have a some sunshine to enjoy, make the most of it. Here we have had rain for most the day and nothing really forcast to change over our long Easter Weekend so I do not feel too bad staying in playing with computers.

quietrob

Extraordinary
So I spoke too soon about repairing my ailing computer. Having copied all the data from a 1Tb drive that was failing on to a 2Tb drive that was not used much and had a lot of free space. Only when I tried copying the data back onto the new drive did I hit problems. Turns out that the 2Tb drive is also failing, not really a surprise as it is the same age and make as the other failing drive, both being original to this build that have been spinning most days for the best part of six years. So anyway, another replacement drive on order but I am amazed at the mischief that this computer has created in a very short time. I guess though they have been failing for a while and the added use has taken this second drive over the edge.

When did you buy the drives, if I might ask? It's only so we can estimate our own Hard Drive failure. It's happened to me twice but my external drives that I use to house Poser and the resulting archives are staggered. Still it makes gaining a new drive before the fails occur a must. I would think it would be longer with the SSD drives as they have no moving parts, no magnetic platters from this technology I worked in since at least 1987. We need a new storage option!!!

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I stored a lot on DVDs but sometime they fail too.
That is why I want an on-line backup option for my personal files like my art work.

Hornet3d

Wise
When did you buy the drives, if I might ask? It's only so we can estimate our own Hard Drive failure. It's happened to me twice but my external drives that I use to house Poser and the resulting archives are staggered. Still it makes gaining a new drive before the fails occur a must. I would think it would be longer with the SSD drives as they have no moving parts, no magnetic platters from this technology I worked in since at least 1987. We need a new storage option!!!

Mine were purchased in 2012 and were manufactured in the same year being only a few months old when I purchased them. I use my machine on a daily basis and, as you know, one was my D drive that had programs on it but also my temp files. The reason for that was to reduced the number of writes to the C drive as that was an SSD and, as each write does some damage to an SSD, heavy duty stuff like temp files were, at that time, best avoided. Six years on and SSDs today are not as critical, these days 5 year warranties for SSDs are quite common while back in 2012, 3 years was quite special.

From my work in a computer shop I know that 5 to six years seems to be an acceptable life for a conventional hard drive but many will go on for many years more than that. As mine were used daily for six years I have really had my worth out of them so I don't mind buying replacements it is just the hassle of having to restore and then wiping the old drives that I find a pain.

My latest SSD has a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 year the same company used to offer so I expect to get about the some life from them. Where they really come into their own though is, as @seachnasaigh has already pointed out is in laptops. Laptops have a far more rugged life than your average desktop and SSDs can take knocks and bangs far more than the spinners, particularly if they are spinning at the time they get knocked.

Hornet3d

Wise
I stored a lot on DVDs but sometime they fail too.
That is why I want an on-line backup option for my personal files like my art work.

Yep, despite all the hype and suggestions that you could eat your dinner of them, CDs and DVDs fail. If they use a dye the contrast on the dye drops as the discs age making reading difficult. Not all DVDs are equal though an different types give you a few more years. Back in the days of CDs I used to reburn all my backups at least every five years, these days the DVDs I use for backups are M disks which are said to be viable for 1000 years. I am not even sure mankind will last that long the way were are going and there is no way of proving it but if I get 40 years I will not be complaining and the chances are they will be viable a lot longer than me. They are expensive though and for large backups the cost quickly outstrips the cost of cloud storage. These days I only use them to store personal information that I would not trust anyone else to keep safe.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I'm beginning to make plans for a new workstation. It will have two SSDs in RAID 1 (redundancy), and have the libraries such as My Pictures, My Videos, etc re-mapped to a secondary drive to relieve the OS RAID SSDs of unnecessary write operations.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I'm beginning to make plans for a new workstation. It will have two SSDs in RAID 1 (redundancy), and have the libraries such as My Pictures, My Videos, etc re-mapped to a secondary drive to relieve the OS RAID SSDs of unnecessary write operations.
Don't forget to send the specs when you're done. Hopefully I'll be able to run with the big dogs someday. Right now, I'm confined to the porch with the pups.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Today was the very first time in my life I've gotten an Easter basket. :)
I kid you not, growing we might get something on Christmas or a birthday if Mom could manage it.
Sometimes she had to get something from the Salvation Army or other donated gifts.
Once in a while her aunts would bring us all something but we did not get Easter baskets.
Not even from the churches in the area.
So today my daughter got me my first one.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, that's nice. Happy Easter FL, and I hope this makes you feel better. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, it cheers me up a bit.
Not a lot of candy, I'm restricted on sweets, no cuddly bunny or chicks, but she asked me what i'd like in it.
So I asked for some base make-up, concealer and powder, I have other make-ups.
I want one of my older grand-daughters to do a make-over when I'm up to it for a new profile image of me.
And a nice re-usable basket as well.