• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Mischief and other things

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, you can install it for up to three computers in your home.
But should something happen to me, the program legally has to be deleted.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Different laws apply to physical books and digital content/software. Physical books, records, CDs, etc., are covered by the first-sale doctrine which allows you to resell, rent/lend, give away, or destroy a copy of a book, record, CD, etc., that was lawfully purchased. Without this exception to copyright law, you would have to contact the owner of a copyright to get permission to sell, give away, lend, or otherwise dispose of the physical book. However, this exception does not apply to the copyrights of digital content, so an ebook, digital music, software (and 3D content) can't be resold or given away.

With a physical book, you can't both possess the book and give it away or sell it to someone else. That's not the case with digital content. Consequently, it really does have to be treated differently.

Hornet3d

Wise
Different laws apply to physical books and digital content/software. Physical books, records, CDs, etc., are covered by the first-sale doctrine which allows you to resell, rent/lend, give away, or destroy a copy of a book, record, CD, etc., that was lawfully purchased. Without this exception to copyright law, you would have to contact the owner of a copyright to get permission to sell, give away, lend, or otherwise dispose of the physical book. However, this exception does not apply to the copyrights of digital content, so an ebook, digital music, software (and 3D content) can't be resold or given away.

With a physical book, you can't both possess the book and give it away or sell it to someone else. That's not the case with digital content. Consequently, it really does have to be treated differently.

This is where we differ in Europe.

EU court rules resale of used software licenses is legal -- even online

I accept that the user of the original should not also have the use but I am sure that can be ensured by using the deactivation used in all versions since Game Dev. I know it is not legal but the CD is not very different as you can digitise it and the sell the physical copy.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm not sure where I read it but I think you can install a single copy of Poser on three computers. Legally. You might call Tech Support (if you haven't already) and ask them if it's true.

You can use install and activate a single copy three times but you should only use one copy at a time. If you try to run a second install on the same network you will receive a pop up saying the install is being used by another person.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
If you give away a computer with Windows 10, you just deactivate your serial and the new owner has to activate.
But other programs are different.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, I can let her use a copy of my old 2012 since I don't use it now.
But for Poser 11, I use it all the time and that pop up would be constant...lol.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thanks for the correction, Hornet.

Still, even if your Poser 11 is an upgrade (Mine is) wouldn't it give you a different serial number? I don't know. If both products are stand alone then certainly they would have different serial numbers and thus no constant pop-up. Plus, we don't know if Ms. Light and her girl are on the same network. Sorry for butting in. Just trying to find a work around. After all, you're not trying to scam Smith-Micro out of cash. You paid for both and should be able to give one away. We paid for the programs outright. We're not leasing it out to make extra cash on the side.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks for the correction, Hornet.

Still, even if your Poser 11 is an upgrade (Mine is) wouldn't it give you a different serial number? I don't know. If both products are stand alone then certainly they would have different serial numbers and thus no constant pop-up. Plus, we don't know if Ms. Light and her girl are on the same network. Sorry for butting in. Just trying to find a work around. After all, you're not trying to scam Smith-Micro out of cash. You paid for both and should be able to give one away. We paid for the programs outright. We're not leasing it out to make extra cash on the side.

It wasn't really a correction, I was just confirming your thought that three installs were allowed, the situation here is not as simple as it first looks as along the way SM changed rules, or at least the control over the rules. Poser 2012 is not an issue as far as I know in that, even if you were only supposed to install three installations in reality you could do more, it was down to trust the same was true for Poser 2014. The game changed with Game Dev when the 'phone home' deactivation feature was introduced in that Poser had to be activated and then had to phone home on a regular basis. Nothing was really known about this until six months after the upgrade some users with computers not connected to the Internet found Poser had stopped working, deactivated because it had not been able to phone home. Sorry if I am telling you something you already know but I remember it clearly because some felt cheated as this was not made clear at point of purchase.

This is important here because anything up until Poser 2014 as far as I can see will continue to work, so if I do a reinstall say after a year because I have a new computer all I need is Poser 2014 and a valid serial number irrespective of how many installs have been made. From Game Dev on, if you have already made three installs and therefore three activations you will need to deactivate one installation. If this is not possible for any reason, like my problem a week or so ago when Poser would not launch so I could not deactivate that installation you will need SM support to reset the activation for you.

So I guess what I am saying is that any Poser version before Game Dev should not be an issue with reinstalls or multiple copies but anything after has the activation limit. Another interesting point is that there is a now a way to activate a computer that is not connected to the internet but when I queried with SM support about my 'lost' activation the response was 'the activation will eventually time out and they can then reset it just don't make the activation permanent' so clearly there are other aspects to this I am not aware of.

One final point, I state none of the above as a way of criticising SM, trying to start a flame war or encouraging anyone to break the rules or the law. My concern is just Poser is an expensive piece of software and, as in this case, there are many circumstances where the software could be passed on that does not deprive SM of any income, perhaps the opposite. There may also be Poser users who are still not aware of the deactivation feature and it can bite you if you have had problems and then come to try to install on a new system. I am reminded of one digital camera company who used to give massive discounts to photography students, discounts which meant the cameras were cost price and this was on expensive DSLRs. The marketing strategy was quite clear, if the student got used to their product the chances are they would continue to use the same brand when they became professional photographers.

Hornet3d

Wise
If you give away a computer with Windows 10, you just deactivate your serial and the new owner has to activate.
But other programs are different.

This is where this all becomes very murky as different software has different rules. If I resell my Kindle Fire I deactivate it and the new user can activate it so what I am really doing by deactivating it is removing the access to my library of Ebooks. On the reverse, if I then buy a new Kindle I have access to all the books I have ever purchased. If anything happens to me and someone inherits my Kindle they have access to my Ebooks unless I have had a premonition of my demise and deactivated it beforehand. The same is also true for my library of purchased music. I know this adds another dimension here in that there is hardware involved but it still means there are limitations or conditions to software that seem to get quite complex.

Another factor that I am uneasy with is that we are supposed to regard Ebooks as different to real books, well in every respect except VAT (Value Added Tax or more correctly described as Vague Additions to Total) where the tax is the same whether it is a Ebook or a physical book.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I will not be doing much 3d work for a few days, a lot of medical tests to do this week.
some have me worried but will remain calm unless told they are serious.

And if my older brother (76 years old) stays on track, he will be moving in with us by the weekend coming up.
He managed to get up here for a three day visit and leaves in the morning to go back to his daughter's.
Then he will get all his things ready to bring here.
He was telling us how they all just ignore him, he is stuck in his room most of the time with no one tot talk to and is tired of his stuff disappearing.
Seems some of his grandkids (who move din on him) ad his son-in-law steal anything the can take and sell.
So we told him he is welcome to come live with us where he will have care and company and no one will steal from him.
I really despise people who treat us older folk that way. :somad:

quietrob

Extraordinary
I gave your post a like so you know you're not alone. Years ago, my father who is now almost 90 years old told me, "You'll be lucky to find ONE true friend in your life."

He was right of course. While I had many "friends" as a boy and a young man, the only true friend I've had for the past, almost 30 years is the woman I call Sweetheart. Fortunately, my immediate family unit and my son have also stayed true. What those grand kids really don't understand is that life runs in a cycles and is shared through Generations. If they want to see what they'll look like and how their health is. Just have them look at their parents and grandparents. Perhaps if they did, they wouldn't be so awful to them.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Exactly!
I've always liked talking to older people, would go see my grandmother nearly every day and just sit and talk.
When I entered Beauty school it was always older women who seemed to gravitate toward me and I was happy.
Other students complained if they were assigned an older woman to work with, I told them to get over it, someday they would be old too.
And when I went back as an instructor in that same school I would make sure any student who complained about older people was assigned many to work on.
I am evil that way. :roflmao:
Now I'm older and it angers me to see how we, as older people, are treated.
My daughter and grandkids are good to me, take care of me and my 8 years old loves to talk to me.
I call her my "mini-me" because she looks so much like I did at that age and is an "old soul' like I was.
My daughter and her husband were so angry to see how my brother is treated to asked him to move in with us and he jumped at that chance.
He has been so happy here all week.
What really makes it bad is his son-in-law got his bank account number and ripped him off of $5000.00 dollars.
His daughter started crying and begging him not to take it to the law, she knew her hubby would go to prison.
He decided not to prosecute but he is so hurt.
We told him that will not happen here, his money is his and only he has a right to withdraw or spend it the way he wants.
This is the second time he has been taken advantage of and it is going to stop.
I'm glad he accepted the offer to come here with us.

Hornet3d

Wise
Exactly!
I've always liked talking to older people, would go see my grandmother nearly every day and just sit and talk.
When I entered Beauty school it was always older women who seemed to gravitate toward me and I was happy.
Other students complained if they were assigned an older woman to work with, I told them to get over it, someday they would be old too.
And when I went back as an instructor in that same school I would make sure any student who complained about older people was assigned many to work on.
I am evil that way. :roflmao:
Now I'm older and it angers me to see how we, as older people, are treated.
My daughter and grandkids are good to me, take care of me and my 8 years old loves to talk to me.
I call her my "mini-me" because she looks so much like I did at that age and is an "old soul' like I was.
My daughter and her husband were so angry to see how my brother is treated to asked him to move in with us and he jumped at that chance.
He has been so happy here all week.
What really makes it bad is his son-in-law got his bank account number and ripped him off of $5000.00 dollars.
His daughter started crying and begging him not to take it to the law, she knew her hubby would go to prison.
He decided not to prosecute but he is so hurt.
We told him that will not happen here, his money is his and only he has a right to withdraw or spend it the way he wants.
This is the second time he has been taken advantage of and it is going to stop.
I'm glad he accepted the offer to come here with us.

So sorry to hear your older brother has been taken advantage of so badly but it looks as though things are about to improve for him, fingers crossed it all works out. As a culture we are not good at looking after out older citizens, I remember my mother commenting that she had reached the age where she had become invisible, having now reached that age myself I know what she meant. If it were not for my computer knowledge very few people would ask for my opinion I am used to getting pushed passed in the streets and ignored in queues. There was a time when it used to annoy me but these days I realise that those doing all the pushing are getting all the stress and as someone retired the extra few minutes it takes me to get anything done is really not worth worrying about.

I am extremely lucky in that I have a most of my family close, I lost my parents some years ago but I have a sister, three brothers and two nieces that stay in touch and we meet up for a meal every six to eight weeks. We stay in contact by email and meet up outside of the large meals on a regular basis. I cannot think of one instance where anyone has taken money from another, we have our difference of course but even when my mother died we managed to sort out the estate without a single cross word. I understand am so lucky to have a family this close and it always upsets me when I hear other families are missing out, life is just too short.

Good luck with the medical test, I hope they are less hassle than you are expecting and you get back to your 3D art refreshed and soon having fun.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
That's what hurts so much, my siblings and I were all raised close and to look after each other.
We were taught not to take what was not ours or if we did not have permission.
He tried to raise his that way but they just went the way of others they had contact with.
We are gonna spoil him!

Well the test tomorrow does not worry me but there are two causing a bit of concern but I won't stress over it.
The issues could be just some medication side effect or what ever.
But did get good news, due to the change in diet from any foods with processed sugars, I am no longer pre-diabetic.
We changed from white breads and such to whole wheat with no sugars in it.
I do not indulge in a lot of sweets so that glucose is now normal. :applause:

Hornet3d

Wise
Well that is really good news. As a diabetic I can say that if you can avoid it then that is a real plus. It does not stop me doing much but the side effects of the tablets and regular injections certainly do impact your daily life.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, it does.
My dad and all his siblings were diabetic, he was the only one that was not insulin dependent.
My sister had it and she took insulin but did not stay on the diet.
This brother has is but they have it under control now.
Being at such a high risk we all get tested regular.
That is why we are now on a different diet to stay away from the foods that are loaded with sugar.
I intend to try and stay free of it and constantly remind my grad-daughters to lay off those sweets.
A few sweet things are okay but to overdo it is asking for trouble.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, it does.
My dad and all his siblings were diabetic, he was the only one that was not insulin dependent.
My sister had it and she took insulin but did not stay on the diet.
This brother has is but they have it under control now.
Being at such a high risk we all get tested regular.
That is why we are now on a different diet to stay away from the foods that are loaded with sugar.
I intend to try and stay free of it and constantly remind my grad-daughters to lay off those sweets.
A few sweet things are okay but to overdo it is asking for trouble.

As with everything pretty much, all in moderation.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Well that is really good news. As a diabetic I can say that if you can avoid it then that is a real plus. It does not stop me doing much but the side effects of the tablets and regular injections certainly do impact your daily life.
All I can say is that Metformin is your friend. I know it's mine! I lost weight and my sugar level plummeted. To those who are reading this mischief thread and thinking, "Does everyone has diabetes?" Just wait. You'll get your turn. In the meantime if you're young like our @Bonnie2001 enjoy that chocolate cake while you can!

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I hope I remember to ask my brother if the new drug he was talking about that his doctor gave him for his diabetes is Metaformin.
He said since that after she started him on it he is now diabetes free and no longer on insulin, which I was glad to hear.

Test for today over and now I get to rest up from it.
The prep for it was really hard on me and the doctor who did the test noticed.
After the test when he came in to give us the results, he said all was clear and no issues.
He said since I am 72 and this test and the one last year were clear I should not need any more.
Nothing but liquids yesterday and drinking that foul stuff to cleanse me yesterday and this morning left me ill.
And he thinks it too much for me unless something shows up to signal a warning.
I agree on that and told him that if it becomes necessary again, the day before I will need to be signed into the hospital for the prep and test as it was just too much.
The colonoscopy itself was easy, slept all the way through. :)

So for the rest of the evening I am just relaxing, no computer after this post and some email checks.
|I am so tired and weak and need more sleep.

Hornet3d

Wise
I hope I remember to ask my brother if the new drug he was talking about that his doctor gave him for his diabetes is Metaformin.
He said since that after she started him on it he is now diabetes free and no longer on insulin, which I was glad to hear.

Test for today over and now I get to rest up from it.
The prep for it was really hard on me and the doctor who did the test noticed.
After the test when he came in to give us the results, he said all was clear and no issues.
He said since I am 72 and this test and the one last year were clear I should not need any more.
Nothing but liquids yesterday and drinking that foul stuff to cleanse me yesterday and this morning left me ill.
And he thinks it too much for me unless something shows up to signal a warning.
I agree on that and told him that if it becomes necessary again, the day before I will need to be signed into the hospital for the prep and test as it was just too much.
The colonoscopy itself was easy, slept all the way through. :)

So for the rest of the evening I am just relaxing, no computer after this post and some email checks.
|I am so tired and weak and need more sleep.

Sadly I am on Metformin almost since day one but it only had a limited effect and has bad side effects for me but everyone reacts differently.

Sorry that the test was such a trial but good news it is all clear. Rest up and recover then just enjoy having the worry lifted.