• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
It isn't like Vue, which will randomly carve out erosion valleys en masse; in Silo, I draw lines (and use cut, Ctrl-X) onto the terrain, then bevel to widen it, then extrude it downward, then bevel the top and bottom edges to round it all off. This method lets me attain the shaped I want with far fewer polygons than if I used a grid and deformed it.

I prefer this because I have a specific course in mind for the waterstream; e.g., a pool at the base of the waterfall, then it meanders around this great tree until it joins the river.
I have a copy of Vue (though not installed) and yeah its not much cop for putting rivers right where you want them.
I didn't have a lot of luck in Silo to be honest, though maybe it was the way I went about it.
I am trying to make a small valley, surrounded by hills with a small river/stream curving through it with a couple of nice flatish places for a house and grazing stock. Not necessarily on the same side of the water.
So far between Bryce and Sculptris I have got this:
Vally.jpg

The water and ground texture are borrowed from Terradome2 for the moment.
Still poking at it as not quite happy yet

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I could make such a waterstream/valley, and get pretty good materials for Poser. Are you using D/S? Can you work up materials for the grass, streambed, stony hills, and water?

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
When you say you draw lines, how do you do that in Silo? The rest (cut, bevel, and extrude, I know how to do)

It isn't like Vue, which will randomly carve out erosion valleys en masse; in Silo, I draw lines (and use cut, Ctrl-X) onto the terrain, then bevel to widen it, then extrude it downward, then bevel the top and bottom edges to round it all off. This method lets me attain the shaped I want with far fewer polygons than if I used a grid and deformed it.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
When you say you draw lines, how do you do that in Silo?
One method is to draw new mesh lines which will be snapped to conform to the shape of the terrain. I don't do that much.

Usually, in edge mode, I'll sweep the mouse across the terrain grid in a serpentine motion. This selects a lot of edges. Ctrl-X (cut). That forms a continuous line through the path I swept. Select your way along that path of edges, and you have two options:

• Bevel that path of edges, widening it to make a streambed.
  • Duplicate that path of edges. Create a square polygon. Select square poly, then also select the edge path, then create : path extrusion object. Select and delete the top surface polygons, leaving you with a trough (your streambed) following your path.
Otherwise, I might use the top camera, and use create : edge tool : append edges and just drag/click repeatedly to create a path for extrusion.
Then bridge edges between the streambed and the outer terrain.

Hmmm... It occurs to me that I don't follow any single method.
purple lol.gif
Whatever seems easiest in any given situation.
It also occurs to me that a verbal explanation is a bit lacking.
blushing.gif

Carey

Extraordinary
I picked up V3 base in late 2004 and played around but at that time I had no idea how to pose, Poser lights were alien to me and materials were something I knew nothing about, even today materials are mainly PFM (Pure Flipping Magic) to me. I Like so many I moved on to V4 and by then I had started to try an create my own characters by blending textures and morphs that I purchased. I still do very much the same today I a just not quite so phased with materials and lights. I would have stayed with V4 but I found it difficult to create anything that did not show the V4 origins and expressions were very difficult for me.

I tried Dawn when she first arrived but was not that taken and stayed with V4. Dawn SE changed all that. I could see immediately that expressions, while not easy, were easier and when textures came on the market that allowed me to age the character I was hooked and have been ever since.

As you suggest there are some characters that have grown on me and I can look at renders that do not make me cringe, as most do. For instance this is a render of my Annio character from 2010 which is when I started to push against my own particular 'envelope' and a discovered so much more. I think for this reason I have fond memories of some of the situations I put her in.

View attachment 20604
oooolala!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks! That now makes sense.

One method is to draw new mesh lines which will be snapped to conform to the shape of the terrain. I don't do that much.

Usually, in edge mode, I'll sweep the mouse across the terrain grid in a serpentine motion. This selects a lot of edges. Ctrl-X (cut). That forms a continuous line through the path I swept. Select your way along that path of edges, and you have two options:

• Bevel that path of edges, widening it to make a streambed.
  • Duplicate that path of edges. Create a square polygon. Select square poly, then also select the edge path, then create : path extrusion object. Select and delete the top surface polygons, leaving you with a trough (your streambed) following your path.
Otherwise, I might use the top camera, and use create : edge tool : append edges and just drag/click repeatedly to create a path for extrusion.
Then bridge edges between the streambed and the outer terrain.

Hmmm... It occurs to me that I don't follow any single method. View attachment 36196 Whatever seems easiest in any given situation.
It also occurs to me that a verbal explanation is a bit lacking. View attachment 36197

quietrob

Extraordinary
View attachment 36217
I started over with my Sydney light saber animation. So I am going to use this image as the background.
Sweeet! Isn't that a Vader type ship? A typical Tie Fighter has no shields. A Vader type does which is why he survived when he crashed into the other Tie Fighter allowing to Luke to destroy the Death Star while Wedge fled.

Wedge to Luke. "Sorry!"

quietrob

Extraordinary
I just felt a need to play instead of work so I put this together.
It is my Helene for the Antonia Polygon model with my skin work and shader set.
My jewelry as well'
The hair is Louise Hair with a texture I altered and applied Superfly setting to.
Rendered in Poser with Superfly.

View attachment 36218
Isn't Antonia Polygon a free model that never quite caught on? Remarkable use. It just shows to go ya, it depends on the artist to deliver. Ms. Light, you certainly did with this one!

Hornet3d

Wise
I just felt a need to play instead of work so I put this together.
It is my Helene for the Antonia Polygon model with my skin work and shader set.
My jewelry as well'
The hair is Louise Hair with a texture I altered and applied Superfly setting to.
Rendered in Poser with Superfly.

View attachment 36218

Like this one and the skin texture and nail art is superb. The whole render is lifted by that edge light on the left rear (left as you look at it)