• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There are many kinds of origami, and I have practiced it from childhood. There was a time when I could fold about a 80 different items, like animals, plants, insects, boxes, vehicles (land, sea and air), clothing, masks, characters, and modular ornaments. There are also origami puzzle games, where we fold dozens of the same piece to build lego-like structures (like medieval castles!) that can be quite complex, like a sphere made of 30+ pyramids. This is best done with 3-4 friends to speed things up (challenging!).

Some people classify origami in 3 main categories: traditional, kirigami (allows cutting), and "modern" (non-square paper). I can fold a few kirigami, but for the most part I do only traditional, which requires square paper, and no cutting or gluing are allowed.

Below is a flowers arrangement I made with a vase, tulips, lily, and foliage with traditional washi paper. Sorry for the photo quality, it's an old iPod.

LilisAndTulips.jpg

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I only did the simple stuff from tutorial books. Well, some of them weren't so simple (a frog and a lotus blossom), but still, I did only the single sheet of paper items, and I didn't build things out of multiple items. So, you're way beyond anything I did.

Hornet3d

Wise
Jet packs were banned in the plasma tubes, the reflective surfaces meant it was easy to become disoriented and the impact of any collision did not bear thinking about. With the option of the jet pack gone the hover pad was the usual form of transport as it was computer controlled to ensure it only traveled set routes to set places. The tube, whose base glowed even when shut down, gave her the feeling of descending straight into hell, she hated it but at this point Caoimhe hated the person who had left their scanner behind far more. As the pad closed in on the tenth level she already felt too close to the hell beneath her and all she wanted was to recover the scanner and then make a quick exit.

Reflections HW.jpg

Glow created by means of Seachnasaigh's ambient boost node group.

quietrob

Extraordinary
@Hornet3d

Great use of @seachnasaigh Ambient Boost Node Group. Is that the only lighting in this scene? May I ask what your raytrace was set at? I'm thinking only 1 as you have no transparencies.

Now the real question. Who left their scanner behind and why didn't they accompany Caoimhe to get it? Are the Plasma Tubes part of the ships design?

A stark scene that begs questions because of the narration. Well executed. High Score!

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d

Great use of @seachnasaigh Ambient Boost Node Group. Is that the only lighting in this scene? May I ask what your raytrace was set at? I'm thinking only 1 as you have no transparencies.

Now the real question. Who left their scanner behind and why didn't they accompany Caoimhe to get it? Are the Plasma Tubes part of the ships design?

A stark scene that begs questions because of the narration. Well executed. High Score!

A little complex this one, at least as far as lighting goes and although not obvious there is transparency, although I am not sure what raytrace was set at but I will check when I am next on the computer. The blue lighting on the background is from an Ezdome of an industrial warehouse but the scale was well off so I placed a clothplane behind with a glass material with some volume. The round blue light behind her and the blue bars either side are seen through the glass. The other blue on the left is the reflection of the hover pad lighting. Each of the four legs of the pad has a hazard light and I have used ambient boost here which is what gives the glow apparently from beneath. There is also one light which is a Sun parented to the globe. The same glass is used for the floor but because it has volume and no real light beneath it does not appear transparent.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Jet packs were banned in the plasma tubes, the reflective surfaces meant it was easy to become disoriented and the impact of any collision did not bear thinking about. With the option of the jet pack gone the hover pad was the usual form of transport as it was computer controlled to ensure it only traveled set routes to set places. The tube, whose base glowed even when shut down, gave her the feeling of descending straight into hell, she hated it but at this point Caoimhe hated the person who had left their scanner behind far more. As the pad closed in on the tenth level she already felt too close to the hell beneath her and all she wanted was to recover the scanner and then make a quick exit.

View attachment 36120

Glow created by means of Seachnasaigh's ambient boost node group.
This is one of the best I've seen from you. I really like what you did there.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d

The wider Story

This plasma tube is part of the engine on a ship called RS Dechtire but smaller versions are used to provide power throughout the massive ship. Despite the size the ship is manned by a very small crew made up of the core research team and other personnel hired on a per mission basis. The ship is privately owned, by Caoimhe's family in fact, but all members of the family are expected to do their bit for the company. While it works on research missions for a number of governments, discipline is not maintained in military style and would be regarded by such forces to be below par. Members of the team address each other in first name terms and have a dual allegiance to the each other and the mission.

The ship is massive due to the pure amount of scientific equipment built into the structure which is used to research planets both on the surface and beneath, initially from close orbit and sometimes by shore parties. On occasions it can also be used as a salvage craft when large ship are lost due to accident or conflict. Caoimhe has a senior position in the team not because of her family connections but also by right. She is widely acknowledged as one of the best in her field as a geologist and archaeologist and is no bad physicist either. Her defence knowledge tactics are also strong, something she inherited from her mother, as evidence on the odd skirmish with space pirates. With such a small team they are expected to be multi tasking which is why Caoimhe can also be seen in both medical and security roles at times around the ship.

On a mission the ship is manned and active from mission start to mission end with staff working either ten or fourteen macrocute shifts. Maintenance is a constant task and this scanner was left behind after a scheduled inspection of the plasma tube and it is only the fact it was left switched on that its presence in the tube was discovered so quickly. The person who left it is unknown well at least until the scanner is recovered at which point the culprit will have little defence. This and the fact they will be off shift anyway is the reason Caoimhe has the task of recovering the device.

Hornet3d

Wise
There are many kinds of origami, and I have practiced it from childhood. There was a time when I could fold about a 80 different items, like animals, plants, insects, boxes, vehicles (land, sea and air), clothing, masks, characters, and modular ornaments. There are also origami puzzle games, where we fold dozens of the same piece to build lego-like structures (like medieval castles!) that can be quite complex, like a sphere made of 30+ pyramids. This is best done with 3-4 friends to speed things up (challenging!).

Some people classify origami in 3 main categories: traditional, kirigami (allows cutting), and "modern" (non-square paper). I can fold a few kirigami, but for the most part I do only traditional, which requires square paper, and no cutting or gluing are allowed.

Below is a flowers arrangement I made with a vase, tulips, lily, and foliage with traditional washi paper. Sorry for the photo quality, it's an old iPod.

View attachment 36118

I would love to do something like that but if I ever attempted it I know I would have ten thumbs.

Hornet3d

Wise
This is one of the best I've seen from you. I really like what you did there.

Thank you so much, like everyone I love praise but when it comes from fellow artists who's skills I envy it is extra special.

My intention at the start of the year was to try and improve on my renders, not a New Year's resolution just a feeling my renders were becoming a little staid. I was not sure what I wanted to do or how I was going to do it and I still don't. However, on buying Poser 11 at the end of last year at a sale price that was a steal I began to have some ideas. I fell in love with superfly rather quickly and I thought area lights were another big plus and when I purchased a few superfly shader sets I could see at least one way I could change my renders. @seachnasaigh Ambient Boost Node Group is another addition that offers so much and yet is so simple to use. As with this render the use of EZdome opens up some interesting prospects. I am really enjoying experimenting, they won't all work of course but that is the nature of experiments, this one though I was rather pleased at how it turned out.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Ah ok, how do you find it for doing things like hills, rivers and small valleys?
It isn't like Vue, which will randomly carve out erosion valleys en masse; in Silo, I draw lines (and use cut, Ctrl-X) onto the terrain, then bevel to widen it, then extrude it downward, then bevel the top and bottom edges to round it all off. This method lets me attain the shaped I want with far fewer polygons than if I used a grid and deformed it.

I prefer this because I have a specific course in mind for the waterstream; e.g., a pool at the base of the waterfall, then it meanders around this great tree until it joins the river.