• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

quietrob

Extraordinary
@quietrob neon football helmet sign:

neon football helmet sign at ShareCG

neon football helmet sign at Renderosity

It's an active mesh light in P9/Pro2012+ Firefly and in Superfly. OBJs with corresponding MTLs included for use in studios which won't load a PP2.

Free for both personal and commercial renders; do not redistribute.

View attachment 35771 View attachment 35772
Yes! Yes! Yes!!! This is just the coolest ever! Thank you, @seachnasaigh This is one of heckuva Birthday Present!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Before I was born. It's the Flintstones! It was in syndication before I was old enough to watch it. In my teens I hated it because it was on opposite Spiderman and His Amazing Friends, but my little sister ruled the TV and got to watch that instead.
Pity! The Phrase, "I'm much too important to be captured is something you probably didn't get to hear."

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Success! :D
This is the base mesh (what will be the OBJ):
SF logo base mesh.jpg

This what the shape becomes with two levels of subdivision (what the prop will set to do):
SF logo 2x subD.jpg

The trick is using control edge loops to retain the corners of the serif at the terminus of each pen stroke.

Ignore the colors; I'm just using false colors to distinguish between mesh parts. Also, I'll slide the S out a bit so that it sits over the F, avoiding mesh collision.

Last edited:

quietrob

Extraordinary
No.. :(
Where is it from?
It's from the Flintstones episode, Doctor Sinister The good sexy Doctor was a spy. That's a small clip of her but after "enlisting" the boys, Fred and Barney into one affair after another of deadly trouble, just before things would get intense, she would say, "I'm much too important to be captured" and then slip away. For weeks afterward, when my big brother, big sister and I would get into trouble with Mom (not difficult as we were hellions) just before she would bust us, one of us would utter the saying then slip away leaving the other two to catch hell from the best but most fearsome mom on the planet.

I'd stay and explain more but I'm much too important to be captured.

Hornet3d

Wise
Nice use of the Dystopia City Blocks. I haven't thought about them in ages.

A belated thank you for the comment, where does the time go?

I have a database of all the content I have which has at least one promo picture included in the item data. Often when I am looking for something I will do as search in the database looking for something it fit my immediate needs. In this case I did a search on cities and included in the matches was the Dystopia City Blocks, of course they are ideal here as the are blocks which you can randomise. Without the database I am sure there is a lot of content I have that I would never use and I am often surprised at search results.

Hornet3d

Wise
Not quite sure where I am going with this one now, if anywhere. After Carey kindly took the time and trouble to give feedback on the original I have attempted to add so more light to the scene as suggested. Another display unit gives a another light source and there are now three extra lights, two mauve lights added, one to light the dark area on the left and another to try an add some better highlights to the suit and the hair. The third is a to further lighten the right hand side.

I think it looks marginally better but I am not sure it adds to the drama. I know the suggestion was a good one I just don't think I have implemented it very well.

Control Room Investigations 2 HW.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's definitely on the right track Hornet!

Depending on what you want to convey, lighting can do a good job for moods. If you want it just for drama then do what most shows do, and use complimentary colours. So her suit is basically red, I'd be throwing a green light in, possibly the long light in the middle and the hex lights, maybe even the other long light behind her and leaving the light that's hitting her left side red. Or leaving it as is and making her suit green and perhaps lightening the light that is hitting her on the left side to a slightly more brighter/natural tone one (just so her face doesn't fade quite so much into the background when the suit is green). I do like it as is tho, so just a suggestion for something else to try, as lighting can change an images meaning so much, it is a personal thing.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's definitely on the right track Hornet!

Depending on what you want to convey, lighting can do a good job for moods. If you want it just for drama then do what most shows do, and use complimentary colours. So her suit is basically red, I'd be throwing a green light in, possibly the long light in the middle and the hex lights, maybe even the other long light behind her and leaving the light that's hitting her left side red. Or leaving it as is and making her suit green and perhaps lightening the light that is hitting her on the left side to a slightly more brighter/natural tone one (just so her face doesn't fade quite so much into the background when the suit is green). I do like it as is tho, so just a suggestion for something else to try, as lighting can change an images meaning so much, it is a personal thing.

Thank you for that. The scene is meant to be on an abandoned space ship so I the aim is to keep it dark but I was never happy with the large dark areas on either side. I wanted to keep the scene dark but add some interest. When Carey suggested different coloured lights I thought that would be the answer and tried a couple of mauve lights but getting the balance with the lights is difficult and it does not change it as much as I wanted. Your suggestions gave me an idea though and I have now found I can control the effect better in post work. By adding a couple of blue lights I can highlight things like the conduit on the left side the blue blends well with the red base and gives a nice mauve sheen to the equipment. I can adjust the position, strength and resulting colour almost instantly without having to do a test render each time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really was at a loss.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@Hornet3d Are you rendering in Firefly or Superfly? Making the luminous parts cast light might give the gentle fill light you want. I have a partial material, an MT5 which is only a group of nodes, which you can add to (not replace) those materials. Works great in Superfly. In Firefly, I have to make extra parts, unseen clones of the parts which need to glow.

For example, if those amber illuminated bits use a texture JPG plugged into the root node's ambient socket, you would add this group of nodes, and plug the texture map into both of the places shown in the new nodes (pink wires). Then plug the lightcasting output into the root's ambient, in place of the direct texture map connection. Adjust the "light boost adjust" color block to adjust the strength of lightcasting (darker gives stronger response). Zip of partial MT5 attached.

ambient boost connections.PNG

@Rokket San Fran 49er neon helmet

SF 49er helmet Sfly demo.jpg

Attachments

• ambient booster node group.zip
    50.6 KB · Views: 173

quietrob

Extraordinary
@Hornet3d Are you rendering in Firefly or Superfly? Making the luminous parts cast light might give the gentle fill light you want. I have a partial material, an MT5 which is only a group of nodes, which you can add to (not replace) those materials. Works great in Superfly. In Firefly, I have to make extra parts, unseen clones of the parts which need to glow.

For example, if those amber illuminated bits use a texture JPG plugged into the root node's ambient socket, you would add this group of nodes, and plug the texture map into both of the places shown in the new nodes (pink wires). Then plug the lightcasting output into the root's ambient, in place of the direct texture map connection. Adjust the "light boost adjust" color block to adjust the strength of lightcasting (darker gives stronger response). Zip of partial MT5 attached.

View attachment 35836

View attachment 35838
Pinging for illumination knowledge. This makes it easier for me to find knowledge stuff when I do research.

Rokket

Dances with Bees

View attachment 35836

View attachment 35838
Amazing! I like it. A LOT!

Hornet3d

Wise

View attachment 35836

View attachment 35838

Gee thanks for that I am using superfly so it should be good. I will try that now.

Hornet3d

Wise
OK, I think I am where I want to go with this, if I was starting from scratch I would probably do it differently but the initial idea was the scene of an abandoned ship which I wanted to keep things dark but I also wanted the scene to have a lot of detail.

Thanks to Seachnasaigh and that superb script for making luminous parts cast light I now have more illumination without lightening the scene overall. It is a lovely script and I can see me using it a lot. I now do not have the dark areas of the original where each side lacked any detail.

Hopefully it does portray the control room of a spaceship that is in trouble and with limited power.

Control Room Fin HW.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
looks awesome Hornet, just goes to show that you don't have to change much to improve something you might have thought finished

Carey

Extraordinary
OK, I think I am where I want to go with this, if I was starting from scratch I would probably do it differently but the initial idea was the scene of an abandoned ship which I wanted to keep things dark but I also wanted the scene to have a lot of detail.

Thanks to Seachnasaigh and that superb script for making luminous parts cast light I now have more illumination without lightening the scene overall. It is a lovely script and I can see me using it a lot. I now do not have the dark areas of the original where each side lacked any detail.

Hopefully it does portray the control room of a spaceship that is in trouble and with limited power.

View attachment 35862
very interesting lighting